1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L 6-cyl. 4x4 4-speed Automatic Consumer Review - Total Cost of Ownership (TCO)

1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Review

1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Limited 4dr SUV (4.0L 6-cyl. 4x4 4-speed Automatic)

Total Cost of Ownership (TCO)
By plarsen111 on

1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

It is a love/hate experience. I love to look at and drive my JGC. I hate to fix it. It will roll over 200k miles next week, and has the same problems as everybody else. So do I recommend you buy an older JGC? If you drive few miles (me - 6000k per year), love to love a car, can pick one up cheap ($3000), and have AAA ... then go for it. Otherwise, buy a Toyota. With the exception of the new 4Runner, they don't drive as well, but knowing you can take a long trip without worrying about it breaking down is an enjoyable experience too. My wife's Subaru fits that bill. Also, I have a Toyota van with 325k miles as a back up. I trust it way more than the Jeep. But I LOVE to drive my JGC!

Favorite Features

Seats, fun to drive, actually collision safe (side impact bar), it takes off, looks great for a 10 year old, wife enjoys the passenger seat, iPod holder sticks well to broken, flashing-error computer screen, new stereo looks and fits well when replacing broken stereo.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability hurts, and it truly is sad. Wow, would they have made a legend of a car if they would just take one look at Toyota and said, "Let's build a Jeep with Toyota reliability." My next car will be the new Toyota 4Runner, which finally has caught up with Jeep performance. 2015 baby!