My Jeep Hates me
By enicole on
1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD
When I received this car as a gift, it had 140,000 miles on it. I immediately needed to replace the front and back brakes, which cost over 1,000.00. The transmission then went out around 155,000 miles, and the rebuild cost over 2,000.00. Barely over a year later the transmission went out again and had to be repaired, luckily it was still under warranty. I have spent more on this car than it is worth. It's sad because I LOVE the way this car drives, great acceleration with the V8, and it handles very well for a bulky SUV. Now the power steering needs to be replaced at 177,000 miles. We are good about regular service,but this car will nickle and dime you to death if it has high mileage
By locruid
on 05/02/11 21:00 PM (PDT)

I replaced the entire front brakes (calipers/rotors/bearings/etc) for about $100. Rears aren't that much more. Find a better repair shop. Transmissions are about right but its pretty easy to buy one whole for about a grand and takes about 2-3 hrs to change it out. But to pay for them to do it, yea thats about right.

By logic7
on 10/09/12 21:30 PM (PDT)

Wow, 1,000 dollars for brakes???? One thing people should do with this car is learn to do your own repairs. I did my front brakes (rotors, pads and calipers) all for like, $150 I believe? The back will be the same when i do those. So if i did both I'd only spend $400 MAXIMUM. Crazy how shops will rip you off like that. Goodness and for such an easy job.