Used 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
Champ.
By Matt on 01/16/10 16:08 PM (PST)

1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I picked this up as a replacement for a '98 GC Laredo that was rolled 1 too many times. I offroad avidly, mountain bike, back country ski/hike, and I need a tank for lack of better words, now I loved my 98, (wish my father wouldnt have rolled it) but this thing takes the cake, you can feel the difference as soon as you pull out of the drive, the quadratrac 4wd gets you out of any mess you get it in, I am running aggressive tires on it, and have yet to have any issues so far, around 149k on the original engine and trans, replaced the drivetrain control unit, I am getting a false signal from my oil pressure unit, but a new $20 unit will fix it. Overall wonderful car I want to keep it forever.

ready for all thats coming!
By chris on 09/03/09 17:41 PM (PDT)

1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

'93 Jeep Grnd.Chrkee. is the only vehicle I owned the longest! It has great steering, it carries anything u load on it =even my mother in law :( = Parts are easy to find and fairly priced, it's ready for long road trips, off road, and inner city driving. The foldable seats help a lot when loading cargo, It has amazing wheel traction! I had 3 accidents and on all three I came out on top- MEANING: The jeep never flipped,minor body damage,all 4 wheels remained on the ground from beginning to end, and the vehicle keeps in control. Its a pretty solid vehicle I recommend it!

tired uphill climber
By cman on 12/31/08 08:36 AM (PST)

1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought mine 3 years ago, and liked it to begin with, I always wanted a red grand Cherokee. Now that I've had it, I don't think I'll be getting another. Atleast not one like mine again! The inline 6 engine is a sorry little fella. If you get stuck behind that rv going up the mountain, good luck getting around him on the straight away! And once again this winter (as per every winter I've had it) it left me frustrated and stranded in the cold once already. Starters, ignition rotors, neutral safety switches, fuel pumps, this thing loves to find a reason to quit running. Also, nasty squeal when air conditioning is on. (common) and when it gets cold- my doors won't shut! (also common)

Great SUV
By Joe T. on 08/08/08 07:45 AM (PDT)

1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had this Jeep for about 5 years now and it is one of the best that I have ever owned. It offers a great ride, comfortable seating for everyone, and very easy to work on in my driveway. I live in Wisconsin and some times the snow plows just can't keep up. This Jeep has been able to walk right through everything. Very good quality and design. Currently has 171,000 miles on it and it still runs like a Swiss watch!

Love The V8
By Foxerson on 06/19/08 23:14 PM (PDT)

1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this Jeep in 1997 with 60,000 miles on it. 11 years later I am still driving it daily and have 235,000 miles on it. The 5.3 L V8 (318ci) mated to the quadra-drive full time 4WD transfer case has been a great setup. It holds the road great regardless of the weather and the V8 has plenty of power. It is also a highly capable off-road vehicle even without big aftermarket tires or a suspension kit. The most significant repair in that time was a transmission rebuild. Otherwise it has only needed an occasional basic repairs that have not been a surprise given the mileage I have put on it.

Worst Vehicle I Ever Owned
By Joe on 05/05/08 10:33 AM (PDT)

1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought this car new. In 4 years needed major engine overhaul. 2 years later needed new transmission. Sold it instead of replacing trans. It was in the shop for something all the time and was recalled multiple times. Will never buy another Jeep/Chrysler vehicle. Also, too small inside. Buy a Tahoe instead.

Blown Engine,sick sad and miserable
By Irene on 03/04/08 22:49 PM (PST)

1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

I loved the Jeep. It was driven less than seven thousand mi per year and had regular maintence. With less than a hundred thousdand mi on it, the engine threw a rod through the block on the freeway on the way home. Needless to say I am heartbroken. I am a grandma and this vehicle has seldom been in 4x4, never beat or abused. within 2 years of being new, paint was flaking off and the dealer got that problem fixed, One new set of Michelin tires, brakes,and power steering hoses were the items that had to be replaced. Now it is sitting in the driveway with me griping away.

Very Satisfied with Jeep
By Jeepman2007 on 04/17/07 17:15 PM (PDT)

1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

These older Jeeps, along with the newer models are some of the best all around vehicles out there. I have owned one for nearly a year after buying it from a close friend who had driven it for years and taken care of it. Its reliability is unbeatable. It's also rugged and ready for about anything you could possibily need it for. One of the bigger advantages of the Grand Cherokee is that it has the most room of most any Jeep model so there is plently of leg room, and carrying room which is important for someone who packs it once a week with a large sound system and instruments or camping gear. I would highly recommend this vehicle.

'93 ZJ 318ci v8
By ZJ80 on 03/12/07 22:40 PM (PDT)

1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Overall, I'm in love with my JEEP. Bought it to satisfy my-next-car-is-a-4x4-v8-and-jeep. Been all over, in all terrain, and love it.

Cool Truck
By NV on 03/09/07 20:31 PM (PST)

1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I just got this Jeep about a month ago with 150k miles. I had to have some long needed maintenance done, but aside from that it's been great so far. It has about a 4 inch body lift with mud terrain tires and nice rims. It also has great power and it does extremely well offroad. Gas mileage is bad, but that is just a price you have to pay. Overall it seems great and handles well.