Used 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Bullet proof vehicle
By reber1

1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

We purchased our GC new in 1993 and it has been one the best vehicles we have ever owned. It was retired to snow plow duty in 2011 and is still going strong with over 225,00 miles. the 318 ci (5.2) engine is awesome and is just now using about a half a quart of oil between changes. the only issues we have had are, a failure of the fuel pump (170,00 miles), water pump (150,000 miles) both front cv joint boots(dry rot from age at 195,000). We liked this vehicle so well we bought a new one in 2011.

Awesome 4 wheel drive capabilities with plenty of power. No rust issues at all after 20 years. And yes, we live in the mountains of Va where we have lots of salt on the roads in the winter. As we keep vehicles forever rust problems are a big issue to us and this vehicle has none!

Kind of late for this as the vehicle is over 20 years old. The only suggestions I could have had was that the interior plastic coating pealed off easily if scratched. That's about it.

Wonderful vehicle
By bobj99

1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV 4dr SUV

This is a 318 CI (5.2 L) V8, but they don't have that selection on the drop-down menu. I bought this Jeep used in 1999, and now have more than 288,000 km on it. I'm in the process of selling it after 15 years of great service. The only reason I'm selling is because we no longer need two vehicles -- the Jeep is as good as ever. There has never been any work done on the vehicle except regular oil changes and maintenance, tire and brake-pad changes, etc. It can tow heavy loads in mountainous areas with no problem. It burns a bit more gas than modern vehicles with smaller engines, but it's not too bad, in my opinion. A Jeep like this in decent shape will continue to provide good driving.

Towing capacity, comfort, good looks, pleasant to drive, good off-road capabilities.

The full-time 4WD means you have to keep the tires rotated, or you end up buying four new tires when a couple of them still have some wear left.

1993 Grand Cherokee Laredo 5.2L V8 Great first car, wish I could keep it
By carcrazy117

1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

I absolutely love my jeep, other than the gas mileage. Unfortunately my jeep was not taken care of by its previous owners. My family has had the car for 7 years now and I've been driving it for the past year. I've put 6k miles on it myself. Everything has been great up until a month ago when everything froze because the coolant system has a leak. This resulted in the end of times. Unfortunately I have to call it quits and get a new car. Radiator is leaking, transmission cooler line is leaking, bad coolant return line o-ring. Essentially the coolant system is shot. If I had the money and time, I would keep it for as long as possible. Overall, if taken care of it will run forever!

The power, the 4WD, the seats are so comfortable, heats like a beast, I'm never cold. great everything for when it was made.

Had to replace the transmission at 175k miles and ignition switch at 200k, but other than that nothing, great car!

So impressed I bought a 2nd one!
By vinton69

1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 1st new and loved the comfort and reliability of my 1st Jeep. At 286,000 miles I hit a big buck on the way to work. I decided to let it go because of the mileage and damage. I couldn't get it out of my mind after over 20 years of ownership so I kinda kept a eye out for another one. I found one just like my old Limited with only 155,00 miles on it and now it's sitting in my driveway. Other than the lousy (EPA) paint job I think it is one of Jeeps best ever vehicles.

Seating comfort and drive-ability. Dependable.

Excellent car!
By 79camarogirl

1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I loved my Jeep Grand Cherokee up til someone ran into me and totaled out my poor car, they bent the frame. had around 200,000 miles on him and was still running strong for the most part. It was our only car so my husband and I put lots of miles on it driving it back and forth to our jobs and he held up very well. Did have some issues with mysterious electrical problems. Sometimes car wouldn't start unless you jiggled the battery wires (battery was good) and the power windows decided they didn't want to work any more. Also, for some reason the cruise control and overdrive stopped working so I got really bad gas mileage, not it got good mpg to begin with.

Loved the way it looks, very roomy, lots of cargo space, comfortable, love the all wheel drive, very fun to drive. Want to buy a new one but wanted something that got better gas mileage.