Used 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

So impressed I bought a 2nd one!
By vinton69

1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 1st new and loved the comfort and reliability of my 1st Jeep. At 286,000 miles I hit a big buck on the way to work. I decided to let it go because of the mileage and damage. I couldn't get it out of my mind after over 20 years of ownership so I kinda kept a eye out for another one. I found one just like my old Limited with only 155,00 miles on it and now it's sitting in my driveway. Other than the lousy (EPA) paint job I think it is one of Jeeps best ever vehicles.

Seating comfort and drive-ability. Dependable.

Great Car - but not the cheapest
By GeoffreyG

1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased my 93 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited (V8 5.2 L) in the summer of '02 with 96,000 miles on it from Valley Dodge in Boulder, CO. 2 weeks after I bought it, it needed some repairs - the starter and a couple of factory recall items as well. Other fixes throughout the years - Power Steering, Idle Motor, A/C Pump, Coolant Sensor, 4x4 Switch, Power Window Switch, Battery (2x), ext Paint, and other minor interior items, but overall the engine has continued to run like a champ at 160K+ miles now - and not even an oil leak! The interior is loaded (...with things that can break...) and power everything, AWESOME for city driving or off-roading - would recommend the Limited model over other models.

Interior Comfort, Great for Winter/Mountain driving, and Engine Power. This car can handle ANY terrain - on- or off-road. The car also tells you pretty much when anything is wrong is it on the panel, which is so awesomely handy, probably saved the car breaking down on a number of occasions.

Expensive to maintain/fix - lots of interior bells and whistles (which I love) that tend to break. Fog lights on the front of the car are a joke and ended up becoming an eye sore, because the weathered quickly. Also, paint standards changed and the '93 Models have (a well known) paint peeling issue.

Good for everything
By kody47

1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I got the Jeep from my uncle with 200,000 miles on it and since have added 30,000. I haven't had one issue with it. It still has good power uses zero oil and gets 20-ish on the highway despite awd and 3 in over sized tires. It does quite well off road. I've yet to meet a hill it wont conquer. Good all round vehicle from the city to the country from the 1st time vehicle to the one that'll last forever

the info center is really nice tho annoying at time. the interior is very comfortable and well designed

limited slips or lockers would be nice, as would a more open exhaust and intake. a new muffler and air intake really wake up the 4.0

Champ.
By Matt

1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I picked this up as a replacement for a '98 GC Laredo that was rolled 1 too many times. I offroad avidly, mountain bike, back country ski/hike, and I need a tank for lack of better words, now I loved my 98, (wish my father wouldnt have rolled it) but this thing takes the cake, you can feel the difference as soon as you pull out of the drive, the quadratrac 4wd gets you out of any mess you get it in, I am running aggressive tires on it, and have yet to have any issues so far, around 149k on the original engine and trans, replaced the drivetrain control unit, I am getting a false signal from my oil pressure unit, but a new $20 unit will fix it. Overall wonderful car I want to keep it forever.

Interior space, the ability of the vehicle is top notch, the only more capable off roading vehicle I can think of would be a V8, or a Wrangler, but then you sacrifice cargo space. Customizable, I have a custom ski/snowboard rack, bike rack, stereo, 4 inch lift, tow hooks etc. the options are endless

All that I can think of can be fixed on your own, or have been fixed in newer models (wish I could afford a brand new one, but fear myself not liking one as much) NO TOW HOOKS stock, (can be fixed)?!

tired uphill climber
By cman

1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought mine 3 years ago, and liked it to begin with, I always wanted a red grand Cherokee. Now that I've had it, I don't think I'll be getting another. Atleast not one like mine again! The inline 6 engine is a sorry little fella. If you get stuck behind that rv going up the mountain, good luck getting around him on the straight away! And once again this winter (as per every winter I've had it) it left me frustrated and stranded in the cold once already. Starters, ignition rotors, neutral safety switches, fuel pumps, this thing loves to find a reason to quit running. Also, nasty squeal when air conditioning is on. (common) and when it gets cold- my doors won't shut! (also common)

Leather seats, 4wd, compass and indicator which tells you mileage, and distance to empty. Love how this thing creeps over gnarly mountain double tracks and snow.

Power, gas mileage, reliability. You know, the things that people like to have out of their vehicles.. I'm a car salesman, and I've found that the door issue, belt squeal, neutral safety switch, burned out wiper motors, and computer glitches are common with these.