Used 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

1993 Grand Cherokee Laredo 5.2L V8 Great first car, wish I could keep it
By carcrazy117

1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

I absolutely love my jeep, other than the gas mileage. Unfortunately my jeep was not taken care of by its previous owners. My family has had the car for 7 years now and I've been driving it for the past year. I've put 6k miles on it myself. Everything has been great up until a month ago when everything froze because the coolant system has a leak. This resulted in the end of times. Unfortunately I have to call it quits and get a new car. Radiator is leaking, transmission cooler line is leaking, bad coolant return line o-ring. Essentially the coolant system is shot. If I had the money and time, I would keep it for as long as possible. Overall, if taken care of it will run forever!

Favorite Features

The power, the 4WD, the seats are so comfortable, heats like a beast, I'm never cold. great everything for when it was made.

Suggested Improvements

Had to replace the transmission at 175k miles and ignition switch at 200k, but other than that nothing, great car!

1993 grand cherokee
By reber1

1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

bought mine new in 93 and now have 235,000 miles on it. In the life of the vehicle I have only replaced the fuel pump, water pump, and transmission lines. not bad at all for a vehicle of this age. Liked it so much I just purchased a 2011 GC Larado. I loved my old 93 so much I couldn't get rid of it. It now does winter plow duty. Still going strong!

Favorite Features

impressive off-road ability, reliable proven drive train, tough durable body panels not thin like most cars today.

Suggested Improvements

interior trim a little cheap and scratches easily, the new 2011 has been a great improvement. no complaints.

Great Car for Mountains, Town, Towing!
By Jay

1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

The car now has 168,000 miles, and runs great. We take it across country to high mountain areas, fully loaded, and towing with no problems. It is easy to work on. The straight six 4.0 is a great engine. I get 20 mpg highway, less in city driving. The transmission lasted until 150,000 miles. Original engine, regular maintenance only, with replacement of worn out items. If you can replace these yourselves, this is a great car to have. Oil changes at home are very easy. The horsepower of the 6 is of course less than a V8, but is very adequate in 99.9% of situations. Car is great in snow (use chains with the 2WD) This has been the most used car in the household for the last 10 years.

Favorite Features

This car has been so versatile. I have literally taken it one day to the opera, and the next day on long trips, either camping, beach, skiing, or to the backcountry. It can tow, carry construction,home repair materials, or plants inside. It can carry 4 bikes on a rack, ski's on top, and 5 adults.

Suggested Improvements

Since 1993, they have all been made. My car has a tremendous advantage over all of them for us - NO car payments, low insurance, low license fees, all of which leave MORE money for traveling in the car. One MUST is to upgrade the weak headlights to newer bulbs (suggest Sylvania Silverstar Ultra).

Awesome Cherokee
By bbambam

1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

This Jeep Runs and Runs. With only minor, aor things that do wear-out having to be replaced, it has performed wonderfully. Now, alas, I need a bigger SUV and Jeep won't fit the bill for me, so I'm moving on. The in-line 6 is the best engine I've ever owned, easy to work on, also.

Favorite Features

Very strong engine, good to look at, nice interior features.

Suggested Improvements

Needs a longer lasting transmission. Mine only lasted 215,000miles.

A great SUV for town and country
By TommyT

1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

We've used this car for over eight years to tow a camper, commute in LA traffic, go to the mountains, and for everything in between. It is our most trusted and reliable car, and the most used. I would buy another.