2014 Jeep Compass Consumer Review: Terrible car

2014 Jeep Compass - Consumer Review

Limited 4dr SUV (2.4L 4-cyl. 6-speed Automatic)

Terrible car
By cad700 on

2014 Jeep Compass Limited 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I just got the 2.4 automatic Compass Limited last week. It's a fleet vehicle, didn't have a choice so didn't test driver one. Picked up the car one evening, didn't do anything but drive home 5 miles. Woke up the next morning and the remote access buttons on the key did not work, used the key, got in, started the car and the radio wasn't working either. All kinds of similar issues. I'm sure that can be fixed but the biggest problem is the engine/powertrain. The vehicle does terrible when you try to accelerate to change lane or merge, pulls to the point of almost losing control. I drove a '12 Escape with a 2.5 engine, much more powerful engine.

Favorite Features

It looks more like the rest of the vehicles that look like the offspring of a crossover and an SUV. I saw the Compass and really liked the new body, looks like an SUV and the interior was also very nice.

Suggested Improvements

The engine and suspension are terrible. The car feels really unstable over 75 MPH. The option to switch to manual shifting has no safeguard to make sure it is not inadvertently engaged. I often rest my hand on the gear shifter and engage it, all you have to do is move the shifter to one side and the car is in manual. I'm sure a lot of children will bump it and engage it.