2014 Jeep Compass Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Jeep Compass - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Compass model:

Excellent little 4x4 SUV
By caplking

2014 Jeep Compass Latitude 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Purchased my Compass in July this year. I wanted a Compass True North but Jeep does not build one, just for the auto shows. So I purchased my Compass 2.4, six speed auto,4x4. Using the spec's found for the True North, I built one. I added the two inch lift kit and added a performance intake. This is the best SUV I have ever had. I truly love driving the Compass. For those who complain that the engine is sluggish, a performance intake will fix the issue without effecting gas mileage. The lift kit is for better off-roading. No mountain climbing or forging rivers, just good off-roading fun.

Favorite Features

Rugged, well built, very good gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Build the True North Compass, otherwise add the performance intake and the lift kit. Now it's truly off-road worthy.

Terrible car
By cad700

2014 Jeep Compass Limited 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I just got the 2.4 automatic Compass Limited last week. It's a fleet vehicle, didn't have a choice so didn't test driver one. Picked up the car one evening, didn't do anything but drive home 5 miles. Woke up the next morning and the remote access buttons on the key did not work, used the key, got in, started the car and the radio wasn't working either. All kinds of similar issues. I'm sure that can be fixed but the biggest problem is the engine/powertrain. The vehicle does terrible when you try to accelerate to change lane or merge, pulls to the point of almost losing control. I drove a '12 Escape with a 2.5 engine, much more powerful engine.

Favorite Features

It looks more like the rest of the vehicles that look like the offspring of a crossover and an SUV. I saw the Compass and really liked the new body, looks like an SUV and the interior was also very nice.

Suggested Improvements

The engine and suspension are terrible. The car feels really unstable over 75 MPH. The option to switch to manual shifting has no safeguard to make sure it is not inadvertently engaged. I often rest my hand on the gear shifter and engage it, all you have to do is move the shifter to one side and the car is in manual. I'm sure a lot of children will bump it and engage it.

Another Good Jeep
By trainwreck68

2014 Jeep Compass Latitude 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We have had the Compass for 6 months now. We previously had a 2007 Liberty, and 2000 Cherokee. This Compass has been terrific despite what the "expert" reviews say. It is a CROSSOVER SUV it's not ment to be a hardcore off roader(buy a Wrangler). The 2.4L engine with 6 speed has enough power, it's not going to win the Daytona 500 but has plenty to get out of it's own way and it is very quiet to me, unless you floor the gas pedal all the time. As a matter of fact at idle we can't hear or feel it running. I am 6ft, 300lbs. and have no issues with interior room or comfort. Been averaging 24 to 25mpg with mixed city/hwy driving.(30 to 31mpg when we take a road trip).For $25,000 you can't beat it

Favorite Features

Fuel economy, Styling, ride comfort

Suggested Improvements

None right now

Low cost SUV
By izaclown1

2014 Jeep Compass Sport 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Never owned a Jeep before, but I bought the 5 speed with the 2.4L engine. I have put 2k+ on it so far. It is a fun car to drive with plenty of room for me at 6'1".

Favorite Features

5 speed and the 2.4 is peppy, but not a race car. Passing has not been too challenging in 5th gear. Handles and rides better than the wife's Escape. Headlights work very well. Good gas economy 25-28 to and from work in mixed traffic. Fold flat seating is a very nice feature. Luggage tie downs are a big help as well. I like the trip odometers and outside temp selections on the steering wheel.

Suggested Improvements

Needs a 3.0L V6 option. Bigger gas tank would be a benefit. My Accord has 1n 18.5 tank with almost the same gas ratings. some storage areas could be larger but functional as is.

I Love it!
By abbeykadabbey

2014 Jeep Compass Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have read a lot of poor reviews on this vehicle and I have to be honest, I'm quite surprised. I absolutely love my 2014 Jeep Latitude 2.4 4x4. It drives amazing in the snow. I feel so safe and I also test drove a few other vehicles, including the Nissan Rogue. I absolutely hated the interior of the Rogue and felt it display screen was very outdated as compared to the Jeep touch screen 6.5 display. I definitely recommend the Lattitudes. I didn't test drive the sport though, so maybe thats what people were unhappy with.

Favorite Features

Uconnect is great. 6.5 touch screen display screen makes programming a dream and it can even save your favorite artists and notify you when they come on the radio. The interior feels like I'm sitting on a couch. Love it!

Suggested Improvements

I haven't found much to complain about thus far. The only thing I would say is quiet down the engine a bit but its a Jeep...