Used 2012 Jeep Compass Consumer Reviews - 13 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Jeep Compass - Consumer Reviews

2012 Jeep Compass

View reviews for a specific Compass model:

The Little 4x4 that Could
By Jeepmakemehappy

2012 Jeep Compass Latitude 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl CVT)

I have owned my Jeep Compass for a little over 1 year. I purchased my 2012 Jeep Compass after driving my Buick Enclave down the wrong road and the hill was too steep to drive it out. Yes, large towing bill. I decided to buy a 4x4. I looked at most brands. Nissan, GMC/Chevy, Ford, you name it. I was looking for comfort (I drive a lot), best gas mileage possible (from a 4x4), and overall enjoyable to work in. A sales rep called me about a trade they just made on a 2012 jeep compass. So I took it for a test-drive, after 1-mile, I did not feel any tension in my lower back and I can spend all day in and out of this jeep. It handled great, the acceleration was sluggish from take-off, but with manual options, I have compensated. Other than take-off, passing gear works great.
The real test game when I had an inspection of a property with a real steep muddy driveway. It had been raining for days and the driveway was a mud puddle. Here goes nothing and a possible 400+ tow bill if I bought the wrong car. I made it down, now I have to go back up. The truth is, I never slid uphill before, I put the shift in manual, keep in it low, stepped on the gas and went up that hill like an off-road racing champ (in my own eyes). The driveway curved twice so I slide around them and made it uphill, got out of the Jeep and did my celebration dance. I have since been up and down similar roads with ease.
My jeep has auto-start, Bluetooth, satellite radio, upgraded sound system, heated cloth seats, standard plug-in, Freedom package II, and a flashlight.
Please do not just go by the Edmonds.com review. It has been an enjoyable, reliable vehicle, that I hope to keep around.

Jeep Compass Latitude is da bomb!
By Kimimila

2012 Jeep Compass Latitude 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased this vehicle 2 years old. I've had it 1 year now. I absolutely love it. The trail rating is especially great because I drive in the mountains a lot and don't like bottoming out. And, the MPG is about the same as my Chrysler Sebring. The only thing I don't like about it is that it's a little sluggish upon acceleration. The only problem I've had was a couple of times, it didn't want to start right away. Both times, it was very cold out.

Great unexpected buy
By Sam

2012 Jeep Compass Sport 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I was really looking for something a little different, but when I stumbled across a 2012 Compass, I instantly fell in love. I've been calling it my beautiful beast. The seats are slightly narrow, but that doesn't affect my comfort. Despite some of the reviews I read, I'm averaging 30+ mpg combined. It costs me 20 bucks to fill the tank and I'm good for quite awhile, but it is a manual and I'm soft footed (I generally get much higher mpg than suggested). This is my road trip/commuter car. I wanted something that would be great for everyday, plus haul the three dogs across the country when needed. I haven't been disappointed yet.
Pros
Good gas mileage for an SUV, Comfortable, Came with bluetooth/good speakers/sirius radio, the ride is very smooth and quiet, lots of cargo space, only regular maintenance required so far. Easy to get in and out of for taller people. Feels higher end than some of the cars I test drove.
Cons
The acceleration isn't great, this certainly isn't a speedy SUV. My bluetooth randomly stops or starts (rarely), The transmission seems stiff at times, especially in first and fifth plus it slips out of first gear occasionally (it doesn't always seem to hold first in place well), The seats are narrow so if you are wider it may be uncomfortable, and my knees tap the dash when sitting regularly because I'm so tall, but if i pull the seat back then my legs aren't close enough to hold the pedals down. I wish it had automatic headlights. I don't like the design of the center console/arm rests, but that's personal preference.

Overall it's perfect for what I needed, but if you are looking for industry leading gas mileage, or constant off road driving, this is definitely not the car for you. THIS IS NOT A HARDCORE STEREOTYPICAL OFF ROADING JEEP. I test drove a Nissan Versa, a Kia Soul, a Saturn Astra, and a Ford Escape, and they all felt very cheap and noisy compared to the Compass. The Versa and Soul made me feel like I was driving a tin can, there was no substance, to the point that I didn't feel safe driving it.

GET A JEEP COMPASS
By harding2

2012 Jeep Compass Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

After a few months of owning my 2012 Jeep Compass I can confidently say that I Love It! I read so many reviews saying the gas mileage isn't good but those people must have a lead foot! I get 26-27 mpg highway and about 23 in town. I got this vehicle for a steal with only 40,000 miles on it. Mine has the Bluetooth features, calling capabilities, satellite radio, 4x4 / tow package, etc. all for under $15,000! Such an upgrade from my tiny little car (which I loved as well). Took me forever to decide on an SUV with good reviews and this one was it! Don't hesitate buying one! Drives great in the snow too! LOVE IT!

The fog lights and cup holder lights are two of my favorite stylish features. I also love the front of the Jeep that matches the expensive Jeep Cherokee look. So many extras on this little beast! Wish I had the remote start on mine, but will be having it added soon. I went with the sport but the latitude package is pretty sweet too! Couldn't find the latitude around my area with 4x4 and tow. The automatic transmission works really great too! This SUV does not lack in power for the regular driver not out to speed race.

The front driver seats have this little side piece made of plastic that breaks easily. When I bought mine it was busted so I replaced it and busted it again myself! Pretty cheap little piece I wish it didn't have. That's really the ONLY thing I have to say bad about the SUV! I thought this would be like driving a "Mom Car / Soccer Wagon" but it isn't! Feel just as sporty as ever!

Mine is sluggish
By artyitalian

2012 Jeep Compass Limited 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl CVT)

After driving 30 or so miles continuously, the jeep will not accelerate properly. It "bucks" and skips after coming to a complete stop, then pressing on the gas ped. It does this for about 300 feet, then something catches and it starts driving ok again. I brought the to the Jeep dealership in Brandon Florida, and they say that unless they can re-create the event, there's nothing they can do.

The car is narrow, not roomy or comfortable. There are a few unsafe blind spots from the driver's view. Specifically front left. Be careful driving through a crowded parking lot, as this blind spot can block out a complete person.

The exterior design is cute. The mpg is more like 19 city and 22 hwy.

I like the outlet and the USB connection. Also the navigation system is nice, but only works in Florida.

Someone definitely needs to look into the engine problems! Also, the front seat needs to be less narrow. I would also work on some of the blind spots, they are worse than any other car I've ever driven.