Used 2011 Jeep Compass Limited Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Jeep Compass - Consumer Reviews

2011 Jeep Compass

View reviews for a specific Compass model:

Texas Compass with Latitude
By awoerner

2011 Jeep Compass Limited 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased this vehicle brand new, after turning in an H3 lease vehicle. I was apprehensive because it was an American made car, but my lack of issues with the Hummer gave me confidence. I did no prior research. It has been very reliable! However, I have not achieved the mileage on the sticker, city or highway. The road noise is loud, so I will be getting soundproofing done. I rarely have passengers, yet no one has fussed yet (Viking son as exception-needs to be up front). The map lights have leaked, usually because I left the sunroof up during an unexpected rain. The brakes are intermittently noisy, starting at year two of ownership. Hoping to drive it until it dies or I tire of it.

Favorite Features

Sun roof makes my day! This was a required element or accessory. The navigation is nice, but only nice. The back deck speaker sounds great, but with no accessory position, how do I use it without having keys in the ignition? The fold down seat allows me to haul a dishwasher, most home improvement supplies and plant materials with the split seat design. I have taken it on roads trips, withing five hours of home with no consequence. My favorite thing is that it has been an economically friendly purchase, with low or no maintenance costs. Normal maintenance, but need to replace the wipers after three years. It's all good. Heated seats!

Suggested Improvements

Road noise is a pet annoyance. The interior feels very cheap and plastic is the norm. Why can't I get a quality vehicle AND quality accessories? Heated seats (yeah) but no lamp for the vanity mirrors? I vacuum the carpet and it is pilling (from day one). I wish the console were smarter-the change pocket is under the arm rest causing a lot of the change to end up between the seats. The a/c has begun to get funky-sometimes blowing at previous levels, but recently starting to notice the fan not pushing out at accustomed speed. I will be checking the fuse box connections. The check engine light came on yesterday, fluids all check good. Maybe a dealership come-on and let us "check" you?

worst jeep ever
By mammacompass

2011 Jeep Compass Limited 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl CVT)

I was forced into purchasing a 201 compass brand new in 2011. I have three kids, they do not fit in back seat, they are so cramped! not to mention the whole thing is just small! I've had to take it in because if a noise turn out front lower arm controls were broke, they replaced them they were under warranty, the day after I got them fixed I'm not lying I backed out of my drive way and it sounded like plastic cracking in a million pieces, and then there was the creaking noise again! so I'm assumeing it's the arm controls again! I've been to busy to have it fixed but I can tell steering is bad and every time I hit bump I hear the creaking. hate this car!

Favorite Features

no favorite features

Suggested Improvements

make it bigger puts parts on it that don't break easily

A total nightmare
By joshregenold

2011 Jeep Compass Limited 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl CVT)

This Jeep Compass has been, without a doubt, the worst car I've ever owned. Major issues include: 1. A new transmission at 30k miles, all on the highway; paid for by Chrysler at least 2. Two new sets of struts within the first 30k miles 3. Brakes audibly squeak 100% of the time at 35k miles 4. Weather striping replaced at 20k miles, road and wind noise are both still unbearable 5. Both of the front doors are rattle traps 6. The stereo faceplate fell off at 10k miles These vehicles also drop like a rock in value, much moreso than others in this class.

Favorite Features

Remote start is standard on the Latitude.

Suggested Improvements

Just about everything. The vehicle looks decent from the front, but the road and wind noise, the transmission, and everything else needs to be fully replaced. I do see that most of these changes have been implemented for the 2014 model, though. The CVT in this car is awful; it grinds to a halt the second you take your foot off the gas with zero coasting ability. Driving at low speeds -- through school zones, etc. -- is an exercise in frustration, with the car alternating between grinding to a stop and jerking to accelerate.

Dangerous on Highway
By jtthrew

2011 Jeep Compass Limited 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl CVT)

We had purchase our Jeep Compass Latitude 6 weeks ago. While driving on the freeway there was a loud explosion type sound and then the front driver's side collapsed. Luckily my son was able to safely get to the center divide and stop only to find that the entire front driver's wheel had completely snapped off leaving only the center part of the hub cap bolted on and the rotar filed down. The Highway patrol officer and tow truck drivers had never seen anything like it. However, the dealership is trying to tell us that we must of hit a curb to cause a blowout. How does a blowout cause the entire wheel to rip off of a car? Others are telling us it's a possible design defect. BEWARE!

HOT LOOKING, BUT SMALL
By outwardlycheap

2011 Jeep Compass Limited 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl CVT)

This car is one of the best looking on the road, but the driver's area is severely cramped, no room for the right knee, cannot steer with right hand because armrest is too far away, and no matter what anybody says, the engine IS noisy! I gave it to my wife.

Suggested Improvements

make it larger on the inside.