2009 Jeep Compass SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Compass model:
fun to drive
By luke on 08/22/09 20:40 PM (PDT)

2009 Jeep Compass SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

don't know why the experts don' t like this car - its fund to drive and gets great mileage. I got the 5-speed with front drive (not 4x4) and get over 30 mpg with town & highway driving. Its a steal of a deal, too! Very sporty driver.

So disappointed
By Riggadeaux on 08/19/09 09:35 AM (PDT)

2009 Jeep Compass SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

We tried to buy a Patriot during cash for clunkers but couldn't find one with 4wd anywhere in the country so got the Compass instead. BIG mistake! I have to put a cushion on the seat because it is too narrow for my wide load and the seat belt digs into my right thigh when driving. The rear-view mirror gives a tiny view through the small back window but worst of all, I can't change lanes because the high seat backs in the back row completely block my view of the next lane. Dangerous! Handling is fine, looks are great, and fuel is okay. I'm getting about 24 on mostly highway. I just don't think I can stand the discomfort so I'm considering selling or trading this in now.

What a fun car!
By Ivan on 07/23/09 23:20 PM (PDT)

2009 Jeep Compass SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car after driving an Acura MDX for 4 years. At first I was concerned about the big change going from a higher end SUV to a much smaller (and cheaper) crossover. However, I just love the way this car drives. Because the car is so much lighter than my old SUV, the smaller motor fits the vehicle just fine. The CVT works well. I'm still breaking the motor in, but am averaging around 27mpg. The uconnect DVD navigation with hard drive and satellite radio is really nice. It took a little while to get used to the Rallye wheels, but now I really like them. Overall, I'm very happy with this car.

good things come in little packages
By hawkeye on 07/20/09 19:11 PM (PDT)

2009 Jeep Compass SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

i have an 07 patriot ltd and i luv it, but this compass ltd is so much more fun to drive. i luv its looks, and the ltd package with silver bumper accents, silver body side moldings and chrome wheels turn other drivers and pedestrians heads. under load it seems a little sluggish, but the more i drive it the more accustomed to it i become. comfort is as good or better than the patriot. fuel economy is very good too. the interior is better than most same class competitors. all seams are tight and well-aligned, doors fit tight, etc.

OUTSTANDING Built Vehicle
By Mike Klementovich on 07/02/09 18:21 PM (PDT)

2009 Jeep Compass SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I never thought I would buy American again after a wonderful run with my 95' Toyota Corolla with over 200,000 on it and still running strong...i needed a stronger motor to pull a motorcycle trailer and I test drove a X-3 BMW and a honda C-RV and this Compass blew them both away. The most outstanding thing about this vehicle is the way it handles...IT handles like a sports car!!!!!!!!!! No Kidding. Tight package. Comfortable seats...and an EXTREMELY quiet ride even at 70-80mph!!!!! I also work on my own cars and plugs and oil must be easy for me to get to and this engine is laid out simply and very clean design...Pulls my trailer with my 650 dirt bike with ease. FANTASTIC

Great Buy
By Bones on 06/08/09 01:03 AM (PDT)

2009 Jeep Compass SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This is a great small SUV. I have repeatedly driven a 07 Ford Escape, and a 06 Toyota Highlander and the Compass is a lot more fun to drive. It's not exceptionally quick or powerful, my previous vehicle was a Dodge Ram with a 5.7L Hemi, but the car-like handling makes up for it. Also, the fuel efficiency seems to be better than the 25mpg stated. I have worked it out to be roughly 30mpg city and 40mpg highway. It felt a little sluggish when I first started driving it, but when I became more familiar with the CVT nuances, I feel the performance has increased. The interior is more than competent and rather comfortable, even considering my 6'6" frame. Also, the entertainment options are a plus.

60 day review
By Zeferam_Cockran on 05/17/09 16:42 PM (PDT)

2009 Jeep Compass SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

As follows are the assessments after 60 days for Compass sport 5spd 4x4 north: Average fuel mileage ( without Air cond running ) 28mpg, 80% highway at 74mph, 20% city. 5 speed tranny good but requires work for reverse with clutch. Engine good and quiet, no rattles or noises, no false starts. No faults detected, interior build better than other models such as 08 Liberty. Great ride handling, good sound insulation. Tested 4x4 on muddy access trail, no undercarriage hits, good ground clearance for model. All in all a very good purchase for the dollar and only real 4x4 offered with 5spd in this price range. Easy to reach zones for cleaning since my co-pilots are my pets.

Love it!
By marichelo on 05/13/09 21:41 PM (PDT)

2009 Jeep Compass SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

The 2009 Jeep Compass has been the best vehicle I have purchased so far. I have no regrets whatsoever. Great fuel mileage, comfortable, easy to clean, roomy, quiet, great interior and exterior look. The new lifetime warranty is the best!

Great small SUV
By glenn0802 on 03/21/09 06:33 AM (PDT)

2009 Jeep Compass SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This vehicle is good on gas, has lots of room in side for the size of it and good on long trips. I am very satisfied with this car.

look at the 2009
By rhfisherii on 02/22/09 15:15 PM (PST)

2009 Jeep Compass SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Before purchasing a 09 Compass, I read a lot of reviews for the 08. I AM GLAD THAT I DID NOT RELY ON THOSE REVIEWS! Complaints lodged against the 08 Compass have been rectified in 09: the interior has been redesigned and looks great, the additional noise dampening makes the vehicle ride quietly and the transmission is smooth. This thing is fun to drive and has a lot of pickup for a 4 cyl. engine. I was looking for a 6 cyl. vehicle but this one won me over after a test drive. Fuel economy is good and the price is fantastic. I personally love the look of the vehicle-as long as it is red, blue or orange-the other colors make the vehicle look long (my opinion). I give it a solid 9-test drive one!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Jeep Compass Suv in VA is:

$129 per month*