Used 2009 Jeep Compass Sport Consumer Reviews - 10 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Jeep Compass - Consumer Reviews

2009 Jeep Compass

View reviews for a specific Compass model:

Heartache with Chrysler
By Emile Gauvin

2009 Jeep Compass Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I had an Intrepid which required a fair amount of front end suspension parts and accepted this because of the design of the car (front-end heavy and so on) when we purchased the Compass one thing that returned was front end part issues and lots of them, started at 20,000 kilometers. Because front-end issues can cause havoc with tires and steering in general, I like to have this in top shape, but it is a never-ending issue every time it goes in for regular service. It still goes on today with the most recent lower control arms being replaced for the second time before 100,000 kilometers. At 25,000 kilometers we started having the sun roof leak into the car. Being told that the drain lines in the roof needed cleaning periodically seemed a problem because you really don't know when this can happen. You tube had ways that people gave up with Chrysler and came up with their own solution although extensive it dealt with a lot of modifications to the drain line and this meant taking parts of the interior off. Then, the front driver's side pan just in front and the back would fill with water - up to 2 inches of water, no rhyme or reason, cleaned this out several times before the dealership finally gave up on the issue of the drain lines and found a body molding without the proper seal in place. The drain lines are still an issue but instead of paying $126 to have these blown out with compressed air, I do it myself.
The last thing to go wrong is the K frame when the lower control arms were being replaced. The place where I have my maintenance done on the Jeep now has a mechanic that used to work for a Chrysler dealership and alerted me to the fact that the K frame is rotting and that I seek out the dealership warranty, should there be one. Right now I'm staring at $500 getting it done myself or $900 through the dealership - not even 100,000 K on the vehicle!
The only good thing I have to say about the Jeep is in the snow, you cannot beat it, it is a tank with Blizzaks for tires.
However, when we get a wet snow/rain and it freezes, the doors will not latch after opening, major problem since the only way to rectify this issue is to leave the vehicle heat-up, with it not locked (not good!)

So, we are getting rid of the Jeep soon. All of the review of this and also the fact that there is always some sort of hassle with Chrysler has made the decision of what to purchase next, which does not include any type of Chrylser product what-so-ever!

A Solid and Reliable Vehicle
By haraldm

Don't believe the reviews done by Edmunds -
they must work for Honda or Toyota.
This vehicle runs like a top and never gives me any problems.

Great fuel economy, comfortable seating, no rattles or vibrations, good storage room, etc, etc

Sound system could use some minor tweaking. I get static on distant radio stations when stopped at traffic lights. I didn't get this on previous cars when tuned to the same stations

Needs some work
By Monica

2009 Jeep Compass Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Been driving my 2009 compass for 15 months. Been in the shop 3 times now for different issues/defects. passing is difficult, it has not "get up and go" !It's loud, my breaks have squeaked and ground since day one. It has not been reliable for me, and I will be trading mine in within the next few weeks!

I like the space it's provided without having to drive a huge "mommy mobile". It rides smoothly.

I think at this stage power windows and locks should be standard in even the lowest models of any vehicle! It needs work.

Fun, Practical, Unique styling
By Herky

2009 Jeep Compass Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I wanted to downsize from my 2003 Chevy Blazer 4x4 and found an incredible deal at one of the Chrysler dealerships that was losing its franchise. I liked the funky, crossover design and decided to test drive it on a whim. More than 4 months later I still enjoy this vehicle as much as the day I took that test drive. So far, this is a great little car. My gas mileage is around 28 and I've got the automatic tranny. The interior is very user friendly, and the seats are firm and comfortable. This thing is agile; handling is great. Engine performance is more than adequate. Overall, I'm very impressed with this Compass. Also, I get a lot of compliments on this vehicle.

Easy-folding rear seats, electronic stability control, stain-proof material on seats, cvt automatic transmission.

Make a compass standard in the Compass. There's a temp display but no compass.

Possible Problems?
By Possible problems?

2009 Jeep Compass Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Just bought my new 2009 Jeep Compass with touch screen radio 3 days ago. Overall this vehicle is wonderful with some exceptions. The touch screen radio is not working! All other touch screen components are fine but radio is very temperamental. Compartments in console are very tiny and are too small to really put anything in them. Cup holders a bit hard to get at however, love the optical interior improvements from the 2007 compass that I rented last year, but is this electrical problem a sign of things to come?

Smooth ride, awesome on gas (same as my Honda Civic!) sleek exterior design, low engine noise, feels like a luxury car yet drop down tailgate speakers are perfect for the drive in!

make cup holders more easily accessible for driver. Rather than have multiple small compartments on console, suggest having more useful ones or none at all as very hard to clean in small places.