2009 Jeep Compass - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Compass model:
2009 Jeep Compass Crysler
By marthah on 06/25/12 09:48 AM (PDT)

2009 Jeep Compass Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

after 150 000k; my vehicle kept stalling when it overheated; brought it Crysler service 4x; they could never fix the problem; I do not like it either that I couldn't check my transmission oil; had to bring it to the shop every time; I rate this vehicle close to a 1' I had changed oil every 5000 k; kept it well serviced; it still didn't do the job it should have; I had bought other vehicles from Chrysler; and this is a lemon; I have spoken to to a lot of people who own them and they too have the same problem. They are good for awhile; some go after 10 000 k; motor stopping others like mine go after 100 000. It is too bad; and I did like Chrysler.

A Solid and Reliable Vehicle
By haraldm on 04/06/12 06:15 AM (PDT)

2009 Jeep Compass Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Don't believe the reviews done by Edmunds - they must work for Honda or Toyota. This vehicle runs like a top and never gives me any problems.

Good Vehicle all Around
By hammerham on 02/20/12 10:00 AM (PST)

2009 Jeep Compass Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I'll get the bad out of the way. The low profile tires that this model carries were kind of weak I suggest buying the next size up. I got some Hankook Optimo 727's at 215/65 44 pound tires 17'. They climb a lot better but you do lose 2 mpg it seems. I live in Pittsburgh I need the climbing ability in snow. The good stuff: 23-25 (I actually got 27 going to New York) miles ave. on the highway 20-22 in the city. That's awesome for a 4x4. She is better on gas than the Liberty and I feel equal or better in mud and snow than Liberty. I'm 6-3 with room still between my head and the top. My 6-6 friend has about an inch or two to spare. Mine does come with adjustable seats though.

Needs some work
By Monica on 10/27/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Jeep Compass Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Been driving my 2009 compass for 15 months. Been in the shop 3 times now for different issues/defects. passing is difficult, it has not "get up and go" !It's loud, my breaks have squeaked and ground since day one. It has not been reliable for me, and I will be trading mine in within the next few weeks!

15 Months later
By Zeferam_Cockran on 07/22/10 00:30 AM (PDT)

2009 Jeep Compass Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

After 15 months of driving as follows are some tips for potential buyer, I recommend a short term rental to try out (daily rental) and take close attention to the following, depending on your height and driving position this little truck may not be suitable for tall drivers ( 5'10"+ ), limited visibility due to A pillars, if you drive in a location where there are lots of pedestrians beware for posts completely block your side visibility, not sure if the patriot has the same issues but I have had several close calls, this also applies for rear view visibility and lane changes, this asides Compass is a good buy for the buck but would recommend the Patriot for any real Jeep enthusiast.

Great Crossover
By Jessy on 06/30/10 20:30 PM (PDT)

2009 Jeep Compass Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I'm confused with why the "pros" don't like the Compass. It's a great crossover utility vehicle with plenty of room for those who don't need a large SUV, but are similarly disinterested in using a shoe horn to get in and out of an automobile. The fuel economy on my Compass has been mediocre at best, but the vehicle is fun to drive and I'm impressed by the safety features. I love my Jeep!

Syracuse to OC 12/19-22/09
By geeo on 12/27/09 20:57 PM (PST)

2009 Jeep Compass Limited 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this as a car for my daughter in SU in New York State, I live in California. We got a great deal with a lifetime power train warranty all for 14 new. My daughter wanted good snow and rain and a great radio with a aux socket for her I pod. On December 19 the we set out on a cross country trip. I could have shipped the car and her stuff but that was estimate 1400.00 the gas all 3345 miles was 184.81 adv 18.9 mpg. We drove through the largest snow storm in virginia has seen in 59 years. The Compass plowed through great. It knew how to adjust the traction for optimum mpg. We had the stock 17" Tires on it,no chains. This car is for the young at heart It is a great deal simple controls!

Fun, Practical, Unique styling
By Herky on 10/08/09 17:45 PM (PDT)

2009 Jeep Compass Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I wanted to downsize from my 2003 Chevy Blazer 4x4 and found an incredible deal at one of the Chrysler dealerships that was losing its franchise. I liked the funky, crossover design and decided to test drive it on a whim. More than 4 months later I still enjoy this vehicle as much as the day I took that test drive. So far, this is a great little car. My gas mileage is around 28 and I've got the automatic tranny. The interior is very user friendly, and the seats are firm and comfortable. This thing is agile; handling is great. Engine performance is more than adequate. Overall, I'm very impressed with this Compass. Also, I get a lot of compliments on this vehicle.

Possible Problems?
By Possible problems? on 10/04/09 19:52 PM (PDT)

2009 Jeep Compass Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Just bought my new 2009 Jeep Compass with touch screen radio 3 days ago. Overall this vehicle is wonderful with some exceptions. The touch screen radio is not working! All other touch screen components are fine but radio is very temperamental. Compartments in console are very tiny and are too small to really put anything in them. Cup holders a bit hard to get at however, love the optical interior improvements from the 2007 compass that I rented last year, but is this electrical problem a sign of things to come?

Great Deal
By C. Mays on 10/04/09 06:27 AM (PDT)

2009 Jeep Compass Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I Shopped until I Dropped. I found problems relating to all SUV's and what sold me on the Jeep Compass was the price and the lifetime powertrain limited warranty. MSRP: $19,450.00 Minus: $4500 cash for clunkers Minus: $3500 Chrysler rebate. Minus: $2500 cash back from my dealer. A very nice SUV for around $10,000.00 that rides well, easy to park and is fun to drive.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Jeep Compass in VA is:

$127 per month*