Used 2009 Jeep Compass Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Jeep Compass - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Compass model:

2009 Jeep Compass Crysler
By marthah

2009 Jeep Compass Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

after 150 000k; my vehicle kept stalling when it overheated; brought it Crysler service 4x; they could never fix the problem; I do not like it either that I couldn't check my transmission oil; had to bring it to the shop every time; I rate this vehicle close to a 1' I had changed oil every 5000 k; kept it well serviced; it still didn't do the job it should have; I had bought other vehicles from Chrysler; and this is a lemon; I have spoken to to a lot of people who own them and they too have the same problem. They are good for awhile; some go after 10 000 k; motor stopping others like mine go after 100 000. It is too bad; and I did like Chrysler.

Favorite Features

interior

Suggested Improvements

motor and transmission and brakes

A Solid and Reliable Vehicle
By haraldm

2009 Jeep Compass Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Don't believe the reviews done by Edmunds - they must work for Honda or Toyota. This vehicle runs like a top and never gives me any problems.

Favorite Features

Great fuel economy, comfortable seating, no rattles or vibrations, good storage room, etc, etc

Suggested Improvements

Sound system could use some minor tweaking. I get static on distant radio stations when stopped at traffic lights. I didn't get this on previous cars when tuned to the same stations

Good Vehicle all Around
By hammerham

2009 Jeep Compass Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I'll get the bad out of the way. The low profile tires that this model carries were kind of weak I suggest buying the next size up. I got some Hankook Optimo 727's at 215/65 44 pound tires 17'. They climb a lot better but you do lose 2 mpg it seems. I live in Pittsburgh I need the climbing ability in snow. The good stuff: 23-25 (I actually got 27 going to New York) miles ave. on the highway 20-22 in the city. That's awesome for a 4x4. She is better on gas than the Liberty and I feel equal or better in mud and snow than Liberty. I'm 6-3 with room still between my head and the top. My 6-6 friend has about an inch or two to spare. Mine does come with adjustable seats though.

Favorite Features

The Plug outlet, the ipod outlet, the gas mileage, the fold down seats and the handling.

Suggested Improvements

Elminate the blind spots, suggest a bigger tire (not wheel 17in is good enough), stronger ball joints would also be a plus. It's a Jeep, the parts should be a little tougher in the wheel area.

Needs some work
By Monica

2009 Jeep Compass Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Been driving my 2009 compass for 15 months. Been in the shop 3 times now for different issues/defects. passing is difficult, it has not "get up and go" !It's loud, my breaks have squeaked and ground since day one. It has not been reliable for me, and I will be trading mine in within the next few weeks!

Favorite Features

I like the space it's provided without having to drive a huge "mommy mobile". It rides smoothly.

Suggested Improvements

I think at this stage power windows and locks should be standard in even the lowest models of any vehicle! It needs work.

15 Months later
By Zeferam_Cockran

2009 Jeep Compass Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

After 15 months of driving as follows are some tips for potential buyer, I recommend a short term rental to try out (daily rental) and take close attention to the following, depending on your height and driving position this little truck may not be suitable for tall drivers ( 5'10"+ ), limited visibility due to A pillars, if you drive in a location where there are lots of pedestrians beware for posts completely block your side visibility, not sure if the patriot has the same issues but I have had several close calls, this also applies for rear view visibility and lane changes, this asides Compass is a good buy for the buck but would recommend the Patriot for any real Jeep enthusiast.

Favorite Features

Flip switch lockable central differential. Front headlights provide excellent visibility for night driving with fog lamps Excellent handling for SUV Very decent fuel economy

Suggested Improvements

Larger fuel tank a definite plus Eliminate the TPMS ( tire pressure monitor system ), have it and hate it More powerful engine would help Offer leather seat option for North trim Improved security system for window contacts Defrosting side mirrors would be nice