Used 2008 Jeep Compass Sport Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Jeep Compass - Consumer Reviews

2008 Jeep Compass

View reviews for a specific Compass model:

Love this baby Jeep
By schneikm

2008 Jeep Compass Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Jeep Compass used 2 years ago at 22,000 miles and I'm at about 50,000 now. They didn't give me the option to select the correct model I have, mine is the 2.0L 4-cyl autostick. All I have had to replace so far is brake pads, and I probably need new tires soon. I love this car because I am a tall person (5'10) and it is so spacious I don't feel like I'm compacted into a car. The turn radius is great. The seats are comfortable, even on long 12 hour drives. Perfect for moving because there is so much space when you put the seats down. I dislike the 2.0L engine because the get-up is slow and my gas mileage is about 26mpg highway.

Favorite Features

I love this car because I am a tall person (5'10) and it is so spacious I don't feel like I'm compacted into a car. The turn radius is great. Did I mention I have manual locks and windows and I still love it? The seats are comfortable, even on long 12 hour drives. I like the AUX outlet so I can plug in my music. Oh, I also call it my moving machine because I can fit so much in the car when I put the seats down.

Surprisingly reliable
By dteitzel

2008 Jeep Compass Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the 2008 Compass after being a long time, repeat Toyota buyer. The price was excellent and I got a 3 year gas card that I am still using, every time I get gas I save some change or more. I don't have the confidence in Jeep, but I have been pleasantly surprised. I have not had problems, other than battery died once after a cold spell. The car has never died or stranded me. I have not done any additional service other than the most basic. I have 48K miles on it.

Favorite Features

Regular power outlet-love it. Wish more vehicles would add this feature. I use it to keep my blue tooth charged at all times. I just love the idea that I could plug anything from the house in the car. I also like the knowing the temperature. My previous more expensive SUV, Highlander didn't have either of these features.

Suggested Improvements

Better quality interior plastic and fabric. Bigger gas tank. Better gas mileage.

I like it!
By Mission

2008 Jeep Compass Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Just picked up an '08 last weekend. So far I love it!. Fun to drive very comfortable and good on gas. I actually really enjoy the CVT transmission and when I need a change I go to autostick. You do not need any more power than this in a vehicle.

Favorite Features

Comfortable, looks great. I'm 6'1 and have tons of head and leg room in here.

Suggested Improvements

Center console is too low

Zippy
By Johnny Rocket

2008 Jeep Compass Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My wife and I got this Jeep for $12,700... NEW off the lot with 62 miles on it. We have the 2.4L with a five-speed. We heard the CVT was a turd and are very happy with a manual; my wife hates it, but I turn of the traction control and pull the parking brake, roll and smoke the front tires all day long. I don't like the styling its too round, but its my wife's car and she loves it. The transmission had to be replaced after 10,000 miles, it was not do to my abuse, but because of the syncro for 5th gear exploding on the freeway. We get on avg 28mpg with a mix of 50%city 40%highway 10%idling (I idle alot waiting on my wife while she is inside the store shopping and I'm sleeping in the Jeep.)

Favorite Features

The 5-speed transmission and 2.4L engine. The way you drive affects your MPG, if my wife always drove I think that this Jeep could start to creep up into the low 30's MPG

Suggested Improvements

There are some refinements that are done in a products life cycle. The only thing is, when dropping the back seats forward it scratches the hand cranks for the back door windows. You must have the door open for the side you are dropping.

compass
By Amy

2008 Jeep Compass Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This is a good SUV. The only real problems I have encountered are the huge blind spots on the sides between side windows and windshield. Also, whenever I open the doors after it has snowed, all of the snow plops into the front seats. Also, the automatic locks drive me crazy.

Favorite Features

Roomy

Suggested Improvements

Make the snow not fall directly into drivers seat when the door opens! Redesign this and the huge columns in the front to get rid of blind spots.