2007 Jeep Compass Sport Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Jeep Compass - Consumer Reviews

2007 Compass Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Compass model:

Sort Reviews by

2007 Jeep Compass
By C. Foster

2007 Jeep Compass Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

The 2007 Jeep Compass is fabulous! In a world of monster trucks and SUV's, this is a perfect compromise for the consumer who wants the space and height of a smaller truck, but drives like a car. The fuel economy is amazing. I am averaging 25mpg (street and highway), which is great because I have been driving it a lot. Regardless of what some of the critics say about the interior being cheap, I disagree. The interior features are amazing, from the YES Essentials (non-stain) fabric, to the power windows and doors, Sirius radio, 6-in dash CD player, ample speakers, universal garage door remote control, cruise control, and Bluetooth handsfree phone feature. Very comfortable. Fun!

Favorite Features

I like all the features of the Compass.

Suggested Improvements

Maybe break up some of the plastic on the dash near the stereo with a different material. But overall, it is a great value at $23,000 fully loaded.

Critics are too Critical
By Jim

2007 Jeep Compass Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Although the Compass is a Consumer's Digest "Best Buy" and an Edmund's Lowest Cost to own vehicle, auto magazine critics and Jeep traditionalists have not had many nice things to say about the Compass, which almost swayed me from purchasing a new Compass. Fortunately I test drove one, and for the money, you can not beat the ride, features, safety and all around capability of this vehicle. It's fun, practical and confident inspiring. Many critics make the mistake faulting this model because it is not like the more rugged, trail rated Jeep line-up. I don't think that was ever Jeep's intent. Kudo's to Jeep for thinking and building outside the box.

Favorite Features

Host of features and options available at minimal cost. Advanced 4WD and state-of-the-art safety and handling features usually found on much more expensive vehicles.

Suggested Improvements

Consider a better design of lower rear bumper. Installing a trailer hitch requires some minimal modification to the rear bumper, which is expected but not desirable.

Good Choice!
By BS PA.

2007 Jeep Compass Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I was a little nervous about going from a Grand Cherokee to the Compass. I have owned 4 Jeeps up to now and was very lucky with all of them. This little thing turned out to be BETTER on bad roads than the Cherokee! Never even "Fish Tailed". It rides nice, get 24-25 miles per gallon, and has a terrific stereo system. Over all I'm very pleased.

Favorite Features

Looks, gas mileage, comfort, and performance.

Suggested Improvements

A little sluggish getting started but passes with ease once you are up to speed.

High Gas Mileage Jeep
By Ken Kotarski

2007 Jeep Compass Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this 4x4 Jeep Compass for higher gas mileage. And with the snow and ice lately on the roads, it's still a road holding Jeep!

Favorite Features

I bought it with all the bells and whistles, and I'm amazed with all the new tech features!

Suggested Improvements

I did put on an after market vinyl door protector trim down the sides. It protects the vehicle from parking lot dings.

Good looking; Good runner
By Larry J.

2007 Jeep Compass Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I love the way the Jeep Compass handles, darting in and out of lanes, feels tight and in control. The CVT feels very good, and I have not noticed any problems when merging on the highway. I own a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, and I like driving the Compass more than the Limited. I can live with the interior in the Compass, because I opted for the 26E package, and it has all the same stuff as my 96 Limited, plus I got a sun roof and satellite radio.

Favorite Features

The ride.

Suggested Improvements

Better rear viewing; the head rests should be hollow like the front.

Urban CUV
By UrbanGuy

2007 Jeep Compass Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Sport 4x4 26E pkg. Tough American look in a sea of foo foo Asian lookalikes. Simple and easy to clean interior with just the right amount of functions. Lots of get up and go, steep hills and merging on highway no sweat. 5'11" and I have room to stretch in all seats. Snow & ice are no challenge and ABS stops jeep straight and true on ice. 2,500 miles and no problems.

Favorite Features

AWD/4X4/, smooth CVT take-offs, AC power outlet for charging cell and computer, speed active door locks, too many to list.

Suggested Improvements

A magnetic or electronic compass should come standard with all Jeeps.

Where is the mileage?
By Betty

2007 Jeep Compass Limited 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My Compass, at its best, gets 23 mpg, routinely 19-20. Dealer says I need 10,000 miles before it is broken in. Now has 4,500 miles. Frustrated, it does not perform as advertised.

Favorite Features

Position of gear shift, even though an automatic.

Suggested Improvements

Back windows panels too large, and make a blind spot when backing up.

tricked out green limited with tan leather
By isaac

2007 Jeep Compass Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have had the Compass a couple weeks. Had to wait 2 months for them to build my car. WORTH THE WAIT. The green is distinctive and the tan leather is nice inside. True the interior is a little Fisher Pricey, but so many features for the price. Heated seats, Sirius, Bluetooth, 4wd, 18" tires, trip computer, ski rack (dealer after market). I traded in my 2000 CR-V. The Compass is a much tighter drive -- more car like. It is considerably smaller too. I really love it. For me I am an enthusiast for leasing an inexpensive car with all the options. It's economical for us who like features/gadgets and it makes driving fun. If you like that idea take a look at the Compass.

Favorite Features

9 speaker sat radio rocks. Heated seats. trip computer with tire gage, MPG avg., outside temp. Autostick -- lets you downshift 5 gears (without a clutch.) I like the tight cornering too. The lower profile makes for better handling, and the 18" tires are great for bumpy roads (and good looks).

Suggested Improvements

Smokers beware--the "smokers group" is an afterthought -- ash tray takes up one of the cup holders. It's not lighted and in an awkward place. Also need seat pockets behind front seats (no place now for large maps & mags). Lastly, I wish they would do away with the silver body accents on Limiteds.

John's 2007 Jeep Compass Review
By John

2007 Jeep Compass Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

DISLIKES: CVT at startup in cold weather is balky. Engine is noisy during acceleration. Highway mileage is not what is expected. The Ipod/phone holder is inconvenient to use while driving. You have to turn and look back to see it. Can't use arm rest with holder open. The center front armrest is too far back to be useful. Rear window wiper is too small. Trip odometer control is hard to reach. Location of cruise control is inconvenient. Standard CD player lacks compression feature. Standard sound system bass is poor. Location of rear defrost control is small and inconveniently located. LIKES: Heater warms up fast. Handling. Folding seats. Style.

Favorite Features

Body style, formed hood over round headlights, sloping rear window, sharply slanted windshield. Folding seats are great. Cargo area is superb for my needs. Handling is great. Turning radius is small. Large radio controls. Door lock remote in key. Cargo floor. Multiple folding seats.

Suggested Improvements

Larger gas tank. Backlight window and door lock controls. Provide a compass standard. Mount IPod/phone holder in the dash. Relocate and enlarge rear defrost control. Separate trip odometer. Locate cruise control in steering wheel and backlight. Non fabric covers for rear seat backs.

I love my Compass
By Selena

2007 Jeep Compass Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I walked in the showroom to take care of some business and it was sitting there. I thought I really liked this truck so test drove it. Came back the next day and asked if they would sell it to me. I really love my Compass; nice lady truck - not big and bulky.

Favorite Features

The entire truck is my favorite.

Suggested Improvements

The only suggestion is that its comes with a Compass for the names sake.