Used 2007 Jeep Compass Limited Consumer Reviews - 21 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Jeep Compass - Consumer Reviews

2007 Jeep Compass

View reviews for a specific Compass model:

BUYER BEWARE! RUN AWAY
By Natalie

2007 Jeep Compass Limited 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This Jeep is horrible! i originally wanted a jeep wrangler but settled for the compass because i read it had good mpg, bought used with only 15k couple months in and had front end issues, have replaced front rotors,front and rear brakes, new tires .. has had multiple alignments, three months ago needed new ETC system ! I'm at 87k and now the alternator gave out today! something rattles when i hit any bump and slips even with a little bit of rain or snow on ground ,

BUYER BEWARE
By Jeremy Myers

2007 Jeep Compass Limited 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

We bought my wife's 2007 jeep compass, used approximately 2 1/2 years and it hasn't ran for more then 3 or 4 months continuously without a breakdown. I fully understand the risks of buying a used car, but like most people can't possibly afford to buy a new car. This is by far the worst car I have ever owned.

Not even a month after we bought it the sunroof quit working it will flip up but wont retract it acts like the tract is stuck & it wont close enough to completely seal so whenever it rains really hard the headliner gets pretty saturated around the passenger door frame. Had to replace the alternator a few months later. You can only get the correct amp alternator from the dealer which was almost $400. I'm pretty mechanically inclined and usually work on my own vehicles, generally if I don't know how to fix something I can figure it out. That in mind, the location of the alternator makes it about an 8 or 9 hour job for an ase certified mechanic. I don't have the tools, time or knowledge an ase certified mechanic does. So I took it to a retired mechanic I know & he still charged me $350 in labor (a lot cheaper then a shop would have charged). Died on my wife several times and when I showed up to get her and look at the car it starts up and runs fine. Rear wheel bearings went out a couple months ago $250 for the set and once again it is something better left to a mechanic seeing as I usually work 60 hours a week and couldn't leave the jeep down for more then a few days. $400 in labor for that one. & yesterday the fuel pump went out on her leaving her stranded once again...in 15 degree Ohio weather. At least I have a pretty good idea it's the fuel pump that or the starter. I'm going to take the starter off first and have it bench tested...anyway, fuel pump is $160 & thankfully looks fairly easy to change.

The trade in value is dropping twice as fast as we can get our loan paid down. 2 months ago I checked the NADA & the trade in was $6800, I checked today and the trade is $4900. The car has no acceleration and hesitates and jerks worse then Michael Fox if you get on the accelerator (especially if you have the A/c on.) "4 wheel drive" is basically all wheel drive that you can turn off as there is no 4 lo or high. It's stalled on us the past few times we filled up the gas tank immediately after leaving the gas station (this is part of why I think my current problem is the fuel pump, that & I don't hear it prime when I turn the key on.) The transmission fluid fill tube has no dipstick to check the fluid level so you have to take it to a dealer to have simple top offs. Oil changes take forever, due to the design of the oil fill port limiting flow. My Honda has more cargo room & the trunk then this crossover. On the freeway changing lanes is near impossible due to the design of the rear window creating giant blind spots on both sides, especially the passenger side.

The only thing I can say positive about the car is the interior is well thought out and comfortable the gauges are nice and there's plenty of leg and head room. The factory stereo sounds really nice. Needless to say the cons outweigh the pros and I cannot wait to get this thing fixed once again and trade it in on anything else

Okay for the price
By Jackie

2007 Jeep Compass Limited 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have 60,000 miles on my Jeep and am thinking of getting a new one. I have only replaced the tires, rear brakes and done my regular maintenance. Nothing else. I replaced the CD player because the factory brand is cheap. Also I was re ended in it, completely totaled the other car, just a scratch on my bumper. I love the 4WD and great gas mileage. It is a great car for a mom or a student. It handles nicely. It is strange though that cruise control is not standard. I don't have it. I am thinking of getting a new 2010 Compass. Great jeep for the price!

4WD, Color, body style

Cloth seats should be leather, need power seats to be standard, on star would be nice. Needs to pick up speed a little faster.

Nice 2nd jeep
By Ron

2007 Jeep Compass Limited 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this Compass few months back used with extended warranty, now I have 42000 miles on it and the only thing that has been done is oil changes, rotate and balance tires. No maintenance issues at all. Easy to park, get in and out of I'm 6'1", best rear leg room for small car, fun to drive, I own 2 Wranglers 97, 04 they are my real 4wd. This fwd Compass is a real jewel, average mpg 25.

Heated leather seats, rear leg room, leather audio control steering wheel 18" chrome wheels, sunroof.

Softer arm rest, windshield antenna, power driver seat.

worthless investment
By Paul

2007 Jeep Compass Limited 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Jeep billed this little jewel as a great buy. I feel that I have been cheated. The fuel economy is what attracted me to this vehicle initially. After I bought it I quickly found out that the posted MPG were very WRONG. Then, within one month of purchasing the vehicle, the manufacturer posts new fuel economy numbers for the stupid thing. Guess what...they were lower than originally posted. Their response to my complaint, "Sorry.". Never again.

None.