Used 2010 Jeep Commander SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Jeep Commander - Consumer Reviews

2010 Jeep Commander SUV

View reviews for a specific Commander model:

Good SUV
By melissa12493

2010 Jeep Commander SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I'm a huge fan of Jeeps and our Commander is no exception. We took it to Tennessee and with 6 passengers for 14 hours it wasn't too cramped. The legendary Jeep 4x4 has saved us during harsh NJ winters with a lot of snow. The seats are decently comfortable and the center stack is easy to use. Only complaint is that the blind spots are huge and with the third row up it is almost impossible to see out the rear window. Hasn't needed any repairs yet. Good reliable truck over all.

Favorite Features

leather seats, navigation, 4x4

Works for us
By timmcd75

2010 Jeep Commander SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Buy this vehicle: If you need temporary 3rd row seating for smaller kids only. Don't buy this vehicle: if you're looking for large interior capacity and 3 roomy rows of seats. We traded in our 08 Grand Cherokee for a 2010 Commander. The same 3.7L V6 is in both. It is under powered but it doesn't bother us. We can easily get on the freeway and up to speed. Towing or driving in the mountains is where you'd notice the lack of power the most I think. We traded up to get the 3rd row to throw our kids in the back when my parents visit so we don't have to take 2 cars. We didn't have to rearrange our garage either to make it fit.

Favorite Features

The seat arrangement is fairly well thought out. Our girls can get into the 3rd row without much effort. The floor is flat back there so there isn't much room for feet and legs for when they get taller though. I'm not sure why they didn't design it where the 3rd row feet can slip under the 2nd row chairs but there must be drivetrain or a fuel tank preventing that. All the seats fold down to give you a flat floor for loading large items. It doesn't have as much cubic space as some other vehicles but this vehicle fits nicely in our garage and is easy to get around in as well so you have to trade some things for size. We're very happy with it.

Suggested Improvements

Stay away from early models. 2006/2007 range had some issues from leaking windshields and faulty electronics that would kill the engine. They've appeared to got the kinks worked out by the 2009/2010 range. I think Jeep was on to something with the design but blew it with quality issues early which turned people away. There are a lot of bad reviews out there for the 2006/2007 range. The 3.7L V6 is ok for us. We won't win any races with it. We're not looking to go super fast though. It would be nice if they had better fuel mileage in the V6 though. It's an older engine now and I think it's been replaced with a more powerful more fuel efficient engine. We get about 18mpg combined.

So far, so good
By inuvik

2010 Jeep Commander SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

We were in the market to replace our '09 Dodge Journey which we liked, but it had a lot of quality control issues. We had always wanted a Jeep and when I found out that 2010 was the last year for the Commander I was intrigued. I was interested in the V6 model only. I had a '07 Mega Cab with a Hemi and it had absolutely horrible fuel mileage so I wasn't interested in another. After searching through dealer's inventory I found that there were very few Commander's left in inventory anywhere. But I did find a V6 4x4 Sport. The dealer was highly motivated to sell the vehicle due to the fact that incentives were about to expire. Mileage has been good 20 MPG on the highway. $23,995 12k off.

Favorite Features

4WD, roomy, solid construction, very quiet, excellent stereo, excellent ride. Good fuel mileage (17-18 MPG city, 19-21 MPG hwy). Fantastic in the snow. Build quality far better than my '09 Journey.

Suggested Improvements

Since the Commander is no longer being made for the USA I guess this point is moot. But the Commander is still being exported overseas. More useful storage places would be nice. And yes I'll say it, more cupholders!

Lumbar support needed
By SUE

2010 Jeep Commander SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

This is a great SUV, however, the front seats need more lumbar support to be comfortable. The leather is beautiful, but if there's no support, it's useless. The drivers side seating is large, so for a smaller individual, you'll feel like you're in a huge seat that doesn't "hug" you into place while driving. The navigation system takes a while to get used to, but it's better than most I've used.

Favorite Features

Leather seating, leg room

Suggested Improvements

Added lumbar support is really needed

Works for Me
By kennyj

2010 Jeep Commander SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

I was looking for a reasonably priced smaller SUV with a 3rd row for my 2 kids if an extra adult or two wants to come along. So far I am very pleased with the overall package. The rear seat TV is a blessing with the kids but I will agree the 2nd and 3rd rows are a bit cramped for adults, especially if the front seat passengers are tall. But the front seats are comfortable and spacious and it works for a family of 4. I have had 4 adults plus my 2 kids in the back for a short trip and its a bit cramped but it works. An excursion or Yukon XL it isnt, but it fits in my smaller garage and easy to park and maneuver. Blind spots are huge, but no worse then any other boxy SUV I have driven.

Favorite Features

I think its a great looking SUV, has the classic Jeep look and looks a lot larger then it is. Its quiet and smooth riding on the highway, front seats are very comfortable for me. Radio/NAV was a little overwhelming at first but now that I have been driving it for a couple weeks I like it.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage is rough, but a 4wd, 5000lb box with 350hp is going to be hard on fuel no matter who makes it. Storage overall is a little short as well, but space is at a premium on this truck so not much can be done about it.