2009 Jeep Commander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Commander model:
I love this Jeep!
By kest812 on 06/12/14 08:17 AM (PDT)

2009 Jeep Commander Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited first and when I finally had to start looking for a new car I chose the Jeep Commander. I have had it since April 2010 and have had not one problem with it. I drive all over the country in it, Long Island, NY to Orlando, FL etc. We are a Military family, so its my Husband and I, 2 kids, 2 dogs and 2 cats when we move (which is a lot!) and it fits us comfortably. It's a smooth ride, performs AMAZING in the snow and on the beach and I feel safe having my family in it. I am upset they stopped production on these. I love it.

Look elsewhere
By diggyp on 12/24/10 21:44 PM (PST)

2009 Jeep Commander Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Drove this car for one week during west coast trip. Cannot recall that a car that was so unenjoyable to drive. First , the acceleration of the base V6 engine is very poor. Merges on the crowded California highways are just downright scary with a car that accelerates like an overloaded tractor trailer. 200 horsepower is inadequate for such a big SUV. Second, the car was not designed with visibility in mind. Without passengers, there are some large blind spots on both sides that make lane changes a harrowing experience. With passengers, you can forget about even being able to check if there are oncoming cars when you are looking to change lanes.

Sold a bad jeep that broke down on me
By Ms. Johnson on 08/30/10 04:59 AM (PDT)

2009 Jeep Commander Overland 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Jeep rides very smoothly as if you were in a luxury vehicle. The front seats are comfortable and the back seats are not comfortable on long trips. Your legs in the backs seat tends to hurt because the seats are up too high. I like the theater seats for view but not for comfort. My brand new jeep broke down on me: 1st the cover underneath the front end of my jeep that covers the oil fell down, 2nd my water pump went out, 3rd my tensioner belt went out that is to only name a few. I had to take my vehicle back several times to the dealer. I am not satisfied, because I take long trips and I am afraid that my jeep may brake down. The positive side of my jeep it runs through the snow perfect.

Love my jeep
By freeze does it on 08/23/10 19:21 PM (PDT)

2009 Jeep Commander Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I love my Commander. The hemi is outstanding and just took it on a trip of 1000 miles and actually got great gas mileage when i wasn't gunning it. I got in mixed driving 17.5 mpg which was great for how much truck you drive. I have a fully loaded one and i love the nav and back up camera and the dealer i bought it from is great. I have bought jeeps before and I will continue to support the brand!

Everything I expected
By Clevo19191 on 06/02/10 22:59 PM (PDT)

2009 Jeep Commander Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I think people really need to have realistic expectations. You don't buy a Commander to go off roading in. You buy a wrangler for that. If you want a comfortable, powerful family car, then this is what you buy. I love me Jeep and I enjoy driving in it.

It can't be trusted
By Unhappy Jeep Owner on 05/04/10 14:37 PM (PDT)

2009 Jeep Commander Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this Jeep in Oct new with 3 miles on it. In Nov we began having problems with the drive train. In a highway passing situation the RPM would red line but the transmission would lose power causing the Jeep to slow. This has happened at least 5 different times. It has been to the dealer every time. Each time they say they can't find the problem and that all the codes are correct. The first time we were told it was still in the break-in period, next they told us to turn off the traction cont but it happened again. Twice this issue has caused a near collision. We have contacted Chrysler and so far have not had any help. We have now gone to the NHTSA. Chrysler has a problem.

Not a real Jeep
By Le Roy Family on 04/18/10 08:56 AM (PDT)

2009 Jeep Commander Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought with 25 miles on the odometer. I come from a long line of JEEP lovers. Usually there is a lot of aftermarket support for JEEP except these fake Jeeps. I wanted a new JK 4 door but she wanted to seat 6+. So the Commander was it. At first she loved it as she only drives 16 miles to work and back 3 days. At only 1,400 miles the transmission seized and had to be fixed. We are at 10,000+ now. The back up warning and tire pressure monitor is constantly acting up and giving warning lights. I love it and hate it at the same time. The big boo boo is the IFS front suspension and the entire body is half plastic. I will stick with my 20 year old modified XJ at 200,000 miles, I can wheel it.

Bought Used, Love It
By jer on 04/11/10 04:50 AM (PDT)

2009 Jeep Commander Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this used and love it. Runs great, looks rugged, the gas mileage is a draw back. Have had a couple of small interior things that needed to be replaced, but overall nice interior design. The third row seating is nice, but not a lot of room back there, especially for a tall person. Had a Grand Cherokee before, bought this Commander and I love it. It is fantastic in the snow as well.

My Commander
By Rodney on 12/20/09 17:16 PM (PST)

2009 Jeep Commander Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I luv my jeep. The ride is smooth n a joy to drive on long trips. The room is comfortable for a family of 3. The mpg could be better. If it could just get about 19-22 on a average would be great.

My Commander
By Rodwg1 on 11/21/09 18:17 PM (PST)

2009 Jeep Commander Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Since driving the commander I'm very please with the ride very smooth. The accelerating could be better and the mpg needs to better. currently i'm getting 18-19 mpg an thats taking it easy.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Jeep Commander in VA is:

$119 per month*