Used 2009 Jeep Commander Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Jeep Commander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Commander model:

I love this Jeep!
By kest812

2009 Jeep Commander Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited first and when I finally had to start looking for a new car I chose the Jeep Commander. I have had it since April 2010 and have had not one problem with it. I drive all over the country in it, Long Island, NY to Orlando, FL etc. We are a Military family, so its my Husband and I, 2 kids, 2 dogs and 2 cats when we move (which is a lot!) and it fits us comfortably. It's a smooth ride, performs AMAZING in the snow and on the beach and I feel safe having my family in it. I am upset they stopped production on these. I love it.

Beach capability is amazing, we've never had a problem and we take it on the ocean and bay beaches all the time.

Look elsewhere
By diggyp

2009 Jeep Commander Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Drove this car for one week during west coast trip. Cannot recall that a car that was so unenjoyable to drive. First , the acceleration of the base V6 engine is very poor. Merges on the crowded California highways are just downright scary with a car that accelerates like an overloaded tractor trailer. 200 horsepower is inadequate for such a big SUV. Second, the car was not designed with visibility in mind. Without passengers, there are some large blind spots on both sides that make lane changes a harrowing experience. With passengers, you can forget about even being able to check if there are oncoming cars when you are looking to change lanes.

There are some positives: Backup sensors; Third row seating

Improve visibility; Better engine / acceleration

Sold a bad jeep that broke down on me
By Ms. Johnson

2009 Jeep Commander Overland 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Jeep rides very smoothly as if you were in a luxury vehicle. The front seats are comfortable and the back seats are not comfortable on long trips. Your legs in the backs seat tends to hurt because the seats are up too high. I like the theater seats for view but not for comfort. My brand new jeep broke down on me: 1st the cover underneath the front end of my jeep that covers the oil fell down, 2nd my water pump went out, 3rd my tensioner belt went out that is to only name a few. I had to take my vehicle back several times to the dealer. I am not satisfied, because I take long trips and I am afraid that my jeep may brake down. The positive side of my jeep it runs through the snow perfect.

My favorite is the smooth ride as if you were in a luxury vehicle; such as, a Benz. The 4x4 is excellent through the snow. The body style is nice.

The rear theater seats need a control lever for arch individual seat to let a person lift or lower (adjust) their seats to fit their comfort. after you sell a vehicle and it keeps braking down and it is not classified under the lemon law, customers should immediately receive a new jeep.

Love my jeep
By freeze does it

2009 Jeep Commander Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I love my Commander. The hemi is outstanding and just took it on a trip of 1000 miles and actually got great gas mileage when i wasn't gunning it. I got in mixed driving 17.5 mpg which was great for how much truck you drive. I have a fully loaded one and i love the nav and back up camera and the dealer i bought it from is great. I have bought jeeps before and I will continue to support the brand!

Nav, back up camera, sound system and ipod jack, and of course the Hemi.

Make it bigger like to compete with a Tahoe or expedition or make one based off the new durango that is coming out but i would prefer the truck based suv. Also more wood grain and plush amenities should come with bigger rims for a 40 k SUV!

Everything I expected
By Clevo19191

2009 Jeep Commander Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I think people really need to have realistic expectations. You don't buy a Commander to go off roading in. You buy a wrangler for that. If you want a comfortable, powerful family car, then this is what you buy. I love me Jeep and I enjoy driving in it.

Comfortable seats, HEMI, the interior, exterior, heck I love it all!

As said before, I wish the gas mileage was better but for the horsepower, I'll take the 15 mpg I get.