Used 2008 Jeep Commander SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Jeep Commander - Consumer Reviews

2008 Jeep Commander SUV

View reviews for a specific Commander model:

It's a Jeep
By wolf75

2008 Jeep Commander SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I've been a die hard Chevy pick-up guy and I still am, but I wanted a vehicle that was plush, comfortable, all the bells and whistles,but I wanted it as an Off road capable, as I spend alot of time afield, hunting, and I go into some very rough situations. This Jeep has out performed anything I've ever had and went everywhere the wranglers go except over huge rock, that I won't do as I want to keep this for awhile. But steep hills no matter the terrain, deep mud or snow this vehicle goes thru like it wasn't there, even places my P/U could never get thru. And I get there in comfort and quiet. By the way mine is the limited but I have the HEMI and all the bells and whistles. When we it is great

Favorite Features

Off Road capability, sound system, My Gig, sat radio and tv (grandkids luv this) all leather.

Suggested Improvements

Suspension could be a bit more suited for off road, a little to soft for me

Great decision, I love it..
By What a JEEP!!

2008 Jeep Commander SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Well, I have had my Jeep Army Green 08 Jeep Commander for about 8+ months now and am as happy today with my purchase as I was when I made it. I paid cash, got the lifetime power Trane and opted for the lifetime bumper to bumper since I had my last Grand Cherokee for 11 years I figured it would pay off. The Boston Acoustic stereo is fantastic. The sunroof and 2 additional sunroofs in the back seat area are cool, kids love them. A/C power in back seat helps out and heated leather seats are great looking and comfortable. When we go up the Pocono Mountains it very smartly shifts for steep inclines providing plenty of power with the 6 cyl.

Favorite Features

The whole Jeep

Suggested Improvements

Well, same request with every vehicle, better gas mileage.

BEST SUV EVER
By spoiled

2008 Jeep Commander SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

We just purchased a new Jeep Commander. I had always driven a small luxury car. The SUV seems huge. To me it is like you took a Hummer and a Land Rover and combined the two. I absolutely love it. It is nice to look at. The interior is designed well. This is my first time to have cloth seats, but I love them. They are much better than leather if you ask me especially with the warranty for replacement if they become stained. I can not imagine a more perfect vehicle for a family. The third row seat has gotten some negative reviews, but not from me. I love it as well. It is perfect for kids who love to ride in the back.

Favorite Features

The look of it. The spacious interior design. Drives like a dream. Ride is very smooth. Much nicer than a Tahoe or Explorer. Skylights for the second row. Large driving quarters. 3rd row seat when needed. Convenient for any lifestyle. Kids really love it Looks good.

Suggested Improvements

I really have no complaints. If there was to be anything that could be made better it would be the cargo room when the third row seat is up. The visibility is fine you just have to know how to properly use your mirrors. That is the reason for the rear parking assistance.

Love My Overland
By BillF

2008 Jeep Commander SUV Overland 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

I traded my 2006 Commander Ltd (HEMI) in for the 2008 Overland HEMI. It has all the bells and whistles so I don't see myself trading it in after 2 years like I always do. Got it with backseat TV. I've driven from NY to VA twice since August. I find that the gas mileage is close to the 4.0 and 4.7 engines that I've previously owned (Grand Cherokee). I arrive at the Maryland House (I95) with an 1/8 of a tank. Driving in the city and Long Island I do use more gas. I'm comfortable while driving. The only problem I had was an inefficient catalytic converter which my dealer replaced and no problems since.

Favorite Features

MyGig system is great. The acceleration onto the highway is awesome. I can play music from my iPod, the hard drive or the Sirius sat radio.

Suggested Improvements

None at the moment

Great car, okay MPG for type of SUV.
By Ryan W.

2008 Jeep Commander SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

This SUV is awesome!!! Sure, gas mileage isn't all that great, but who ever said you had to have great gas mileage to have a great car is stupid. For me, this car is great! It's just me in it most of the time, but I have many siblings and this helps me take them around when I'm taking care of them for a while. I average about 19 miles to the gallon so I think they new EPA estimates aren't accurate on that. Don't believe the numbers because that's driving the car like a stupid teen. If you drive responsibly, then you'll get about 16 in the city and about 23 on the freeway. Enjoy!

Favorite Features

Lots of head room. Lots of leg room. Lots of storage. I happen to love the rugged look. Reminds me of a Hummer kind of. This thing fits in my apartments parking spot, and that means it's just the right size width wise.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing! :-) This is a great SUV.