Used 2008 Jeep Commander Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Jeep Commander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Commander model:

pleasantly surprised!
By botros

2008 Jeep Commander Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased used w/ 12k on the odo. So far, it's been great. The 4x4 works great and has already gotten me out of a bind. The interior is very comfortable and usable. The 3rd row does not get used much, but it's good to have just in case. I got a flat, and while changing the tire was straight forward, the steel wheel spare is way too heavy. I'm a big guy that works out 2-3 times a week, and had a hard time lifting it up on the studs. Can't find many other faults. Throttle response is on the slow side, need brighter headlights. Gas door needs to lock when car is locked. Better gas mileage, but it is the V8 and 4wd, so 15-16mpg overall is ok I guess.

Favorite Features

4.7l v8 & 4wd. (despite the mpg) Comfortable leather seating Remote start. E85 capability if gas goes to $4 again. Jeep green color & towing package. - Reverse warning sensors.

Suggested Improvements

Lighter spare tire. Lockable gas door (not the gas cap) The manual has an E85 warning of hesitation if temp is over 90deg. What's the point in central Texas in summer! Everyday is over 100.. - Hard to blow the horn, need to find the right spot on the steering wheel. Hood floppy? at highway speed.

Love it!
By sincitycop

2008 Jeep Commander Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Haven't had the vehicle for but 3 weeks. Bought it used for half the price of what it cost new. It is truly one of the most enjoyable vehicles I have ever driven. I love the look and feel of it. The windows make visibility the best I have ever experienced except for the rear window view when the 3rd row seating is in place. The whole family loves it! We have had vans for most of our "family" years and wanted to get away from the whole van thing. This was a GREAT choice and I would definitely recommend one to anyone else. There are pros and cons to any vehicle. I believe the pros definitely outweigh the cons in this one!

Favorite Features

The look of it, the ground clearance and the overall driving of it is enjoyable. There are standard features that would be upgrades for most other manufacturers.

Suggested Improvements

More storage space for when 3rd row seating is up. Rear camera should be standard for all models as it is hard to see out rear window when 3rd row seating is up.

Great Family SUV
By Dillys

2008 Jeep Commander Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

We previously owned a Jeep Liberty and had to upgrade in size. The Liberty was a great Jeep, so we decided to stay in the Jeep family. For a family of four, the Commander has been awesome. The kids love riding in the third row because their feet reach the floor - only suitable for little ones because there's no leg room. The front is very spacious and controls are easily accessible to both the driver and passenger. I don't much care that there isn't much storage behind the third row when it's up, but it wasn't a deal breaker by any means. We look forward to our road trip next month because we'll have plenty of room for comfort and storage. Overall we are very pleased with this vehicle.

Favorite Features

Third row for the kids - keeps them out of adult conversations. Stadium seating allows small children to see out the windows better. A/C vents and control in rear are a MUST have in Texas. Middle row three way fold down is very convenient also. Back up sensors are great when 3rd row is up.

Suggested Improvements

When 3rd row is up, it nearly blocks out entire back window so you can't see out your review - must depend solely on side mirrors and back up sensors. More storage behind 3rd row would be nice also, or at least in floor storage and find somewhere else to store spare tire equipment.

08 OVERLAND
By ANTHONY DEFRANCESCO

2008 Jeep Commander Overland 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

After owning about 8 new jeeps over the past 16 years i was very impressed with the commander. My prior 06 commander had the 4.7 V8 and was underpowered. The HEMI is just right. I purchased a loaded overland model as it is truly the ultimate Jeep. The rear camera is helpful especially when using the third seat. It is a very solid vehicle. I like the styling as it reminds me of my first 1993 jeep cherokee country. I average 16mpg and on a round trip to Cleveland from Albany NY my average was 18. I drove around 70 mph. I really don't know why the press beats upon Jeep products so much. I have found Jeeps to be very reliable, safe, and fun to drive.

Favorite Features

HEMI motor,U Connect feature, Love the interior with the Overland features. I don't have to shovel the snow out of my driveway. I can ride all my family in it and still tow a heavy trailer in comfort.

Suggested Improvements

The Goodyear tires wear poorly. As they say " They are only Good for a Year ". It would be nice to see the rear headrests power down for better rear vision.

I think I bought a lemon
By firecracker

2008 Jeep Commander Limited 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have had all kinds of electrical problems with this car, since I purchased it. The dealership was not very helpful. The locks locked while I stepped out of the car, and the car was running. They lock and unlock as I am driving. Auto wipers don't work that great, and neither does the reverse assistance. The Sirius equipment was faulty. The angle of the windshield, makes it very prone to getting hit by road debris--I replaced two windshields within six months. The breaks had to be replaced within the year, and six months later, need it again. I have never had so many problems with a car. The problems returned about six months after repair. No leg room in the middle seat area.

Favorite Features

The outside style of the car.