Used 2008 Jeep Commander Sport SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Jeep Commander - Consumer Reviews

2008 Jeep Commander SUV

View reviews for a specific Commander model:

Love it!
By sincitycop

2008 Jeep Commander SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Haven't had the vehicle for but 3 weeks. Bought it used for half the price of what it cost new. It is truly one of the most enjoyable vehicles I have ever driven. I love the look and feel of it. The windows make visibility the best I have ever experienced except for the rear window view when the 3rd row seating is in place. The whole family loves it! We have had vans for most of our "family" years and wanted to get away from the whole van thing. This was a GREAT choice and I would definitely recommend one to anyone else. There are pros and cons to any vehicle. I believe the pros definitely outweigh the cons in this one!

Favorite Features

The look of it, the ground clearance and the overall driving of it is enjoyable. There are standard features that would be upgrades for most other manufacturers.

Suggested Improvements

More storage space for when 3rd row seating is up. Rear camera should be standard for all models as it is hard to see out rear window when 3rd row seating is up.

Great Family SUV
By Dillys

2008 Jeep Commander SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

We previously owned a Jeep Liberty and had to upgrade in size. The Liberty was a great Jeep, so we decided to stay in the Jeep family. For a family of four, the Commander has been awesome. The kids love riding in the third row because their feet reach the floor - only suitable for little ones because there's no leg room. The front is very spacious and controls are easily accessible to both the driver and passenger. I don't much care that there isn't much storage behind the third row when it's up, but it wasn't a deal breaker by any means. We look forward to our road trip next month because we'll have plenty of room for comfort and storage. Overall we are very pleased with this vehicle.

Favorite Features

Third row for the kids - keeps them out of adult conversations. Stadium seating allows small children to see out the windows better. A/C vents and control in rear are a MUST have in Texas. Middle row three way fold down is very convenient also. Back up sensors are great when 3rd row is up.

Suggested Improvements

When 3rd row is up, it nearly blocks out entire back window so you can't see out your review - must depend solely on side mirrors and back up sensors. More storage behind 3rd row would be nice also, or at least in floor storage and find somewhere else to store spare tire equipment.

BEST SUV EVER
By spoiled

2008 Jeep Commander SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

We just purchased a new Jeep Commander. I had always driven a small luxury car. The SUV seems huge. To me it is like you took a Hummer and a Land Rover and combined the two. I absolutely love it. It is nice to look at. The interior is designed well. This is my first time to have cloth seats, but I love them. They are much better than leather if you ask me especially with the warranty for replacement if they become stained. I can not imagine a more perfect vehicle for a family. The third row seat has gotten some negative reviews, but not from me. I love it as well. It is perfect for kids who love to ride in the back.

Favorite Features

The look of it. The spacious interior design. Drives like a dream. Ride is very smooth. Much nicer than a Tahoe or Explorer. Skylights for the second row. Large driving quarters. 3rd row seat when needed. Convenient for any lifestyle. Kids really love it Looks good.

Suggested Improvements

I really have no complaints. If there was to be anything that could be made better it would be the cargo room when the third row seat is up. The visibility is fine you just have to know how to properly use your mirrors. That is the reason for the rear parking assistance.

Great car, okay MPG for type of SUV.
By Ryan W.

2008 Jeep Commander SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

This SUV is awesome!!! Sure, gas mileage isn't all that great, but who ever said you had to have great gas mileage to have a great car is stupid. For me, this car is great! It's just me in it most of the time, but I have many siblings and this helps me take them around when I'm taking care of them for a while. I average about 19 miles to the gallon so I think they new EPA estimates aren't accurate on that. Don't believe the numbers because that's driving the car like a stupid teen. If you drive responsibly, then you'll get about 16 in the city and about 23 on the freeway. Enjoy!

Favorite Features

Lots of head room. Lots of leg room. Lots of storage. I happen to love the rugged look. Reminds me of a Hummer kind of. This thing fits in my apartments parking spot, and that means it's just the right size width wise.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing! :-) This is a great SUV.