Used 2008 Jeep Commander SUV Consumer Reviews - 50 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Jeep Commander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Commander model:

WORST VEHICLE I HAVE EVER OWNED
By Lorelei

2008 Jeep Commander SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Computer tells me I am getting "8.9" miles to the gallon, and that is ACCURATE. I spend more on gas for this hog than a mortgage payment every month. HORRIBLE RESALE!!! NOT dependable, despite regular maintenance from an accredited dealer. Horrible family car. I have four children, and they always have friends ride with us. Seats are hard and extremely uncomfortable for short drives. I would NEVER recommend this vehicle to anyone. Other jeeps seem to rate better, but as far as this model....big thumbs down.

Way too small for a family.....
By Charlie

2008 Jeep Commander SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased this truck a year ago. As soon as I put car seats in the back, I couldn't sit comfortably in the front. You need touch the dashboard in the passenger seat, you can't even open the glove box. Driving the truck, I can't even see the gauges without sucking my head down because I was so close to the dashboard. And my sons feet are against my seat. And I'm not a big man, just 6:40. The rear storage is not big either. For a big SUV, the layout of this truck is terrible. The transmission was garbage. Had to put a new one in and 100000 miles. Seems like something breaks on it every other week. And the Jeep dealership near me needs at 2 to 3 week appointment to get service done. So if you want to go to the dealership, you need to make an appointment after you break down. Not very convenient. I will never own another jeep again!

Wow, impressive.
By Jeff

2008 Jeep Commander SUV Overland 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

We bought our 5.7 Hemi Overland Commander with about every option available in 08 brand new. I was worried we might have problems with so many options down the road. We now have 180k miles and besides normal maintenance like brakes or tires, we have only replaced a starter motor and that is it. We have it serviced regularly and it has been amazing. More than half the miles are highway, but we also use it to also pull our motorcycle trailer, and a 24 foot travel trailer in the summer. It is starting to use a bit of oil now, about a quart every 2000 miles, but acts like it has a lot more life in it. I have owned Acura, Mercedes, Jaguar, Ford, Chevy, Mazda, Honda, etc. So far this one beats them all for it's reliability and lack of trips to the shop for any repairs, or check engine lights like my Mercedes routinely has. My Acura Legend ( a fantastic car) is still in the family with 270k (still original motor and trans ) on it, but by 180k it had a lot more work done on it than our commander, like new radiator, AC compressor, etc. I also had a Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 4.7 V8 and it was great, with few problems until I sold it with 130k miles on it. My personal experience is outstanding with Jeep as a brand with reliability in comparison to any brand out there.

Acceleration problems
By

2008 Jeep Commander SUV Limited 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Love my Commander...got it new in 2008. This morning I got the scare of my life. Started the vehicle, drove to the back of the house, to picked up my utility trailer. As I was leaving the drive way, the accelerator got jammed. The vehicle went out of control (live on dirt road) and raced full speed ahead. First reaction was to hit the brakes... that helped a little, quickly put it in neutral and turn the key off. Got my conposure, and started the vehicle again. It went right back to a very, very fast acceleration. Turn it off and called dealership to have it tow to be serviced.
Has anyone ever had this kind of problem ???

08 commander
By l greaves

2008 Jeep Commander SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Great SUV for Canadian climate. Fuel mileage not bad for a heavy 4.7 v8. Problems with rear diff bearings, front diff failed at 40,000 km had to be replaced. Wife loves this SUV (our 2nd Jeep) will probably purchase extended warranty to ensure Peace of mind over the long run

heated seats,leather seats,sun roof.smooth ride and sure footed traction

better powertrain reliability