2008 Jeep Commander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Commander model:
Acceleration problems
By on 06/12/12 10:32 AM (PDT)

2008 Jeep Commander SUV Limited 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Love my Commander...got it new in 2008. This morning I got the scare of my life. Started the vehicle, drove to the back of the house, to picked up my utility trailer. As I was leaving the drive way, the accelerator got jammed. The vehicle went out of control (live on dirt road) and raced full speed ahead. First reaction was to hit the brakes... that helped a little, quickly put it in neutral and turn the key off. Got my conposure, and started the vehicle again. It went right back to a very, very fast acceleration. Turn it off and called dealership to have it tow to be serviced. Has anyone ever had this kind of problem ???

08 commander
By l greaves on 11/28/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2008 Jeep Commander SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Great SUV for Canadian climate. Fuel mileage not bad for a heavy 4.7 v8. Problems with rear diff bearings, front diff failed at 40,000 km had to be replaced. Wife loves this SUV (our 2nd Jeep) will probably purchase extended warranty to ensure Peace of mind over the long run

Surprised
By Karon on 09/14/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Jeep Commander SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This vehicle was purchased for my husband. He had a 2005 Jeep Liberty Renegade. He loved it but it was time to find a new vehicle. When I went out shopping to the Jeep place, they showed me this 2008 Commander Limited. I feel in love with it. It's nice to have room as a passenger. We have no need for the 3rd row seats, so that isn't a issue. I highly recommend this vehicle if you want comfort & fun driving. The downside, which I was surprised about, is the cargo space. Not enough. We are going to see if removing the 3rd row seats will help that. Otherwise, everything is great about it. Can't believe we bought a V8, but with a vehicle like this. it's worth it!

Excellent Value!
By brobin on 08/10/10 21:02 PM (PDT)

2008 Jeep Commander SUV Limited 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

The Commander compares favorably with SUVs costing twice as much as this one. Many friends have commented "THIS is a Jeep?" when they first get in. In terms of comfort, power and reliability it's every bit as good as a Land Rover, Lexus or Escalade.

Love my commander
By phranican on 07/18/10 17:26 PM (PDT)

2008 Jeep Commander SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Love my commander. sold a grand Cherokee with 120K miles and said what the heck I'll take another jeep. Love the exterior, based on the original Cherokee and the interior is very comfy, leather is awesome. I purchased with 10K mile, at 32K now, not a single problem so far. I don't gun it, don't brake hard probably why i average 16 mile per gallon. It's a great ride, very quiet. highly recommend if you need a truck and don't want to pay out the rear.

So far so great!
By psr on 02/21/10 18:36 PM (PST)

2008 Jeep Commander SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Got this as a hand me down from the wife. I am a pretty big guy, so I appreciate the room up front. I also like gadgets, so the hard drive, GPS and tv screens rock! The kids feel like kinds in the back. As everyone else says, the view in the rear is horrible with the 3rd row up. But, with the sensor and the camera, I fail to see this as a significant loss. Between the windows and the mirrors, I feel the vision is excellent otherwise. Adults in the back seat? Forget about it. Unless they are tiny. The smooth, quiet ride is impressive. Almost spoils you. The outside look is sporty.

Good Stuff
By bundy30 on 01/29/10 21:34 PM (PST)

2008 Jeep Commander SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

This has been an amazing truck for my wife and kids. Safe, good looking, dependable. We have never had a single problem in 33,000 miles.

Take the Bad with the Good I Guess
By oldjeepdriver on 12/16/09 10:33 AM (PST)

2008 Jeep Commander SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought 2008 Commander Limited 4.7 as a "executive use" car never titled with 15,000 miles in Dec 08. Right away the mygig went dead, took two trips to fix, then sat antenna wiring fried and had to have headliner removed to repair. First trip on the highway noticed vibration at 70+ mph. Back to the dealership 3 times, finally had torque converter replaced, vibration not as bad but still there. Now dealership is closed due to Jeep's financial woes. If it is raining, don't let down the the front windows because water will flood in and forget trying to see a traffic signal with the near vertical front window. On the plus side, front seats are comfy and roomy, sound system is excellent.

Great Intention/ Bad assembly
By Bill on 10/29/09 23:33 PM (PDT)

2008 Jeep Commander SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I bought 2008 Jeep Commander from Used Hertz car sales with warranty 14800 miles. The first problem after 1 month was complete electrical failure of the vehicle. Under warranty they reprogrammed the vehicle but would not give me reciept anything was done till I demanded 2 times from JEEP. Hertz actually stuck up for me. Four months later while going through Iowa the top of the windshield seal blew off for under head winds of about 40mph. Jeep dealership tried to say windshield had been replaced. Hertz stuck up for me again and proved it had not and had it fixed. I still love the Jeep though. I think there are quality control problem but vehicle is still very very nice.

Lovin' my XK!
By GeoDan on 10/17/09 21:06 PM (PDT)

2008 Jeep Commander SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Real off-road capability in a world of "soft-roaders." This vehicle benefits greatly from Jeep's involvement with Daimler and as a result it's an interesting mix of American and German input. Fuel mileage isn't great overall, but I am consistently observing higher than EPA ratings, particularly at highway cruising speeds.

1 2 3 4 5 next »

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Jeep Commander Suv in NJ is:

$211 per month*