2006 Jeep Commander Consumer Review: Not a Jeep!

2006 Jeep Commander - Consumer Review

2006 Jeep Commander

Base 4dr SUV (3.7L V6 4x4 5-speed Automatic)

Not a Jeep!
By joe shibotnik on

2006 Jeep Commander 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

80,000 miles. Dealer serviced or authorized dealer serviced as required per owners manual or dealer recommendation. #1 This vehicle is fun to drive. #2 This vehicle is a Durango in Jeep attire (meaning, this is not a Jeep). #3 Who in their right mind makes a "Jeep" fulltime 4 wheeldrive? Dodge, that's who. #4 Replaced front 2 times (ball joints, tie rod ends and bushings) fulltime 4wheel issue...yes. #5 Eats 60,000 mile tires in 30ish. #6 If this vehicle had 2wheel capabilities it would pull great gas mileage. #7 Leather seats are not leather. #8 Resale poor, so plan on keeping it. My Suburban is worth just as much as our (40K) Commander, its a 1999(148,000 miles). Think hard!

Triple sun roofs (1 functional), speed shifter. Driver comfort with adjustable pedals,Comfort passenger front seat. Stereo rocks! Headlight options, on board data.

Make it a JEEP. 2 wheel/4 wheel option. More ground clearance when it says "Trail Rated" on the side. Bigger front breaks. Dual exhaust. Bigger tires, after all, it's a COMMANDER! Trailer package STANDARD!

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review
By jsax1984
on 02/09/11 05:50 AM (PST)

all time 4 wheel drive has helped us through a lot with our commander. the little lever for the 4wd is old. if you want that then get a used 99 cherokee. and it is a jeep but it is also a dodge because THEY ARE THE SAME COMPANY

By jeepster91505
on 02/14/11 18:48 PM (PST)

I think you may be mistaken. I own a 2006 Commander and have been a Jeep owner all my life. Commanders do not have fulltime 4x4. All 4x4 Jeeps (with the exception of the Wrangler which still has the shift lever) are now controlled electronically. The Commander stays in 4x2 RWD until it senses wheel slippage. Once it does it automatically (within a fraction of a second) switches to 4x4. When it senses that the vehicle has regained control, it disengages. I think it works really well. I now live in California, but I bought mine in Michigan and I loved how I could drive in the snow and ice without worrying about shifting in and out of 4x4. I know some people still prefer it, but I think the technology is pretty cool. Plus if you're doing serious rock crawling you still have the lever for 4x4 Low which does need to be engaged manually. However I wouldn't recommend rock crawling with a Commander unless you do some serious mods to it. And I agree..bigger rims/tires and higher ground clearance would be nice. So would a standard trailer package. I have done some pretty hardcore off-roading in my Commander and I have to say it definitely IS a Jeep. Just go on you tube and watch some videos.