2006 Jeep Commander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Commander model:
I Love My Jeep So Far!
By gregbird08 on 08/12/08 22:53 PM (PDT)

2006 Jeep Commander 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I have only had my Jeep for a little less than a month, but I am enjoying it a lot. It only has 20,000 miles and it's a V6 AWD, and that has plenty of power as far as I am concerned. I am getting about 16 mpg, and that is way better than our Suburban (what I was driving) and as good or better than many mid-size SUVs, such as Explorers. I love the way the Jeep drives, I drove an '06 BMW X5 before and I think the Jeep drives just as great!!!! I would definitely recommend a used one if you can find a good deal, mine was only $14900, that is way better than buying a new one! As for being an 18 y-o with his first car, I feel very save in it, especially with all those airbags.

Excellent vehicle - solid secure
By Carol Ann on 08/10/08 12:11 PM (PDT)

2006 Jeep Commander 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I sell real estate in the Finger Lakes. I must have a very reliable strong 4-wheel drive automobile. My Commander has out performed all the other SUVs I have ever owned. I could use more room in the back for my signs. My little ones love the back two seats. I can not get them out of the Jeep as they want to stay and play. Front seat capacity is very comfortable. Ride is quiet, no road noise. Solid heavy vehicle.

Oregon Trail
By Doug on 07/28/08 07:38 AM (PDT)

2006 Jeep Commander Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

We just got back from a 6,000 mile trip following the Oregon Trail, including the original "Old Barlow Road" around Mt. Hood. Our Jeep had never before really been put to the test, but it performed flawlessly on this trip on everything from Interstate HW's to boulder-strewn primitive roads. I wish it got better mileage, but it was reassuring to have the power of the 5.7 liter when passing or traversing some of the primitive roads we followed along the Oregon Trail. We put on 6,000 miles from Missouri to Oregon passing through 10 states, keeping to 2 lane and dirt roads as much as possible. Our worst day was 15.2 mpg. Our best was 18.2 mpg.

Not bad
By Mary M on 07/15/08 07:54 AM (PDT)

2006 Jeep Commander 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I traded in my 2001 Trooper with 156,000 miles for this brand new Commander. Fuel tank is a big disappointment - only 17.2 gallons. However, I have increased my highway mileage to an average of 20.6 MPG by adding in a bottle of gas treatment or fuel injector cleaner with every other tankful. City driving is approx 16.5 MPG. I have a possessed passenger window. Not thrilled about gas cap - anyone can open it, no safety lock. Not much cargo room (Trooper held a sheet of plywood with ease) and the loss of 3"-4" because of 3rd row seat now folding level with tailgate. Molding not glued to back door frame. Replaced windshield which also took part of factory molding with it!

Noah's Ark
By The Marko's on 07/08/08 19:35 PM (PDT)

2006 Jeep Commander 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I was happy to read that other owners have also heard the "whistling sound" & that I wasn't just imagining it. My biggest complaint is that water seemed to be sloshing around in the roof after every rain. We couldn't find any wet spots, but the car smelled like mildew. Recently I got in it after a hard rain only to find 4 inches of water sitting on the passenger side floor board! Later that same day water poured out of the ceiling, ran down the windshield & right into my driver side dash speaker!

No More Jeeps for me
By miss on 07/07/08 21:47 PM (PDT)

2006 Jeep Commander 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I have an 06 Jeep Commander. What a headache. I take it into Victorville Motors all the time. They are horrible. I have brought my vehicle in for brake problems since the beginning. Every time they tell me "can not duplicate". I brought the vehicle in for the same problem they recalled for. I had to pay to have them inspect and they told me my breaks were fine. Now the rotors are bad. I only have 29,000 miles on the Jeep. They want to charge me $400.00 to fix it. I will never buy from Victorville motors, ca ever again or buy a Jeep for that matter. I have owned almost every car made, this is by far the worst!

Best Mother's Day Gift
By Mindi Lassiter on 06/27/08 08:08 AM (PDT)

2006 Jeep Commander 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

The best Mother's Day gift I ever received besides the love of my Children. Only problems I have had was the Factory installed windshield was done incorrectly so when I had the window replaced due to a crack the entire frame had to be redone - the dealership was great in handling this. I have been experiencing a slight loss of power when turning street corners. I thought it was me but my brother in law and husband noticed the same thing. It is in the shop right now because yesterday my instrument panel went wacky and lost all control of gauges off and on during my interstate drive. I am sure this is minor though. My kids hate the seat belts. They are hard to clip with a booster seat in place

Very Disappointing
By Edward Smith on 06/15/08 18:11 PM (PDT)

2006 Jeep Commander Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

We had an ongoing issue with the engine stalling out. All 4 brake routers warped in the first 18 months. Needed a full brake job with 14,000 miles on it. Nothing was covered. Many electronic items have quirks; seat memory, outside temp, and others. Have replaced the windshield 3 times in 26 months for cracks from road stones. It seems to catch them all.

I like it - don't love it
By jeep man on 06/07/08 09:55 AM (PDT)

2006 Jeep Commander 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Overall am pleased and have had no issues other than fuel economy. This week I resigned myself to drive speed limits to see what I can get MPG and actually saw 20.6 mpg.

recall
By marcus on 06/03/08 06:17 AM (PDT)

2006 Jeep Commander Limited 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought this car for my wife after looking at a number of cars. One of the first things that I noticed when I drove it home is that this thing is going to love gas. But I was ok with that because this is something my wife would drive and she only do about 50 miles a week. Overall I love the way the looks and drive with that 4.7 v8. I had some concerns after reading a fee reviews from edmunds whether I made the right decision on going with the Jeep. I have experienced the wind noise from the windshield and the engine stalling. But I got on to Jeep website and went to the owners link and to my surprise the have issued a recall on the engine stalling. So hopefully this will fix that problem.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.