Used 2006 Jeep Commander Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Jeep Commander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Commander model:

Fuel Economy the worst!!!!
By rickyrick

2006 Jeep Commander 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

My wife purchased the non hemi V8 with 0 miles back in 06. Very strong engine, quiet interior, very smooth ride. Solid distinguishable looks. exterior, however the interior pretty bland w/ too much plastics. This model is supposed to get phased out in the next couple years, we got rid of it do to the worst gas consumption this beast would take. even on all hwy cruising trips this rig got 14 miles to the gallon @ best(calculated an average of 10 miles a gallon one time as well, pretty pathetic) and w/such a small 18 gal gas tank, that didn't help matters any more as we were filling up @ the gas stations 2-3 times a week! Traded it in for a brand new Hyundai Sonata Limited V6 just recently!

heated leather seats, exterior color (Light Khaki), bold looks, strong engine, quiet interior for such a square looking vehicle. Trail Rated!!! sunroof w/ rear moonroof, back up sensors & 6 dics changer(until it broke down) tight steering for an SUV, 2nd row reclining seats were cool.

BIGGER GAS TANK and BETTER GAS MILEAGE!!, do away w/ the cheap interior plastics. the 3rd row seats are a joke(small & cramped) I believe this model will be dropped by Jeep in the next couple years. Better SUVs out there(Enclave, Equinox, CX9, Tahoe) Oh and did I mention the fuel economy issue?

Don't hate it OR love it
By eeprof

2006 Jeep Commander 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

This truck is not what I think they were selling, an upscale SUV with 3rd row seating. First, the 3rd row seating is pretty much useless. If you have the seats up, there is zero storage behind the 3rd row and only slightly more space for your legs in the seat. I think I had my seats up about 3 times in 3 years for emergency kid transport. Not good for the long haul. Second, this thing is a truck; it rides like one, handles like one and goes like one. I have driven Tahoes and Explorers that are soooo much more comfortable to ride in and handle so much better. My CDR always felt top heavy. All that said, it has been a dependable vehicle with 4WD that worked well in the snow. It looks nice.

Heated seats and backup sensor.

Gas mileage is horrible. Better suspension, better handling, better ride. The windshield defroster is wimpy.

Worth it for several reasons
By Larry

2006 Jeep Commander Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought the 5.7L HEMI used after some friends had trouble with the 3.7L. Engine runs great and I always have the power when I need it. I was very surprised with the very quiet cabin during highway rides, and smooth ride overall as well. Also, 5-star crash ratings and side airbags are a must for vehicles this size and the Commander has them. Luxury feel with the Limited package at a great price if bought used. Haven't had any issues yet, and will keep our fingers crossed as we approach the 50,000 mile plateau, where others have seen problems. Considering an extended warranty.

Luxury interior, automatic everything. Exterior appeal, off-road capability. Safety features.

Like everyone, GAS, but still worth it.

V6 4X4 Love it!!!
By Bigmaninds

2006 Jeep Commander 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

My family & I love it, we travel alot, dish out the tough terrain to it and it doesn't stop. Have the 2.25" lift but jeeps design for this needs a solid front axle. Overall its reliable, comfortable, and its very fun to drive. I would buy another but with the HEMI motor.

Three rows of seats, adaptability to any situation.

solid front axle, QTII in all commanders, no more uni-body:(

Run fast from this LEMON!!!!!
By LEMON ANYONE!?!?!

2006 Jeep Commander Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I fell in love with this truck immediately but after 2 weeks it was in the shop 4x's. 1st the 4x4 needed replacement, 2nd-tire was leaking- pressure light consistently on, 3rd & 4th windows wouldn't stay up and the navigation, cd player and tv all died out and needed to be replaced and STILL was not working! I had the truck for 3 1/2 weeks and it is now back on the dealership lot under the LEMON LAW act...THANK GOODNESS for that! I loved driving it though even if it was only back and forth to the dealership to be fixed! I knew the gas would be an issue but it was worse than my husbands full size Silverado Pickup. Run from this truck. If you decide to go for it get the extended warranty!!

Navigation, when it worked. 6cd changer,Awesome.Speakers are phenomenal. Heated Leather seats, Moonroof & 2sm sunroofs. 3rd row seats

headrests in the back create a blindspot. better gas mileage.

• SUV