Used 2006 Jeep Commander Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Jeep Commander - Consumer Reviews

2006 Jeep Commander

View reviews for a specific Commander model:

Run fast from this LEMON!!!!!
By LEMON ANYONE!?!?!

2006 Jeep Commander Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I fell in love with this truck immediately but after 2 weeks it was in the shop 4x's. 1st the 4x4 needed replacement, 2nd-tire was leaking- pressure light consistently on, 3rd & 4th windows wouldn't stay up and the navigation, cd player and tv all died out and needed to be replaced and STILL was not working! I had the truck for 3 1/2 weeks and it is now back on the dealership lot under the LEMON LAW act...THANK GOODNESS for that! I loved driving it though even if it was only back and forth to the dealership to be fixed! I knew the gas would be an issue but it was worse than my husbands full size Silverado Pickup. Run from this truck. If you decide to go for it get the extended warranty!!

Favorite Features

Navigation, when it worked. 6cd changer,Awesome.Speakers are phenomenal. Heated Leather seats, Moonroof & 2sm sunroofs. 3rd row seats

Suggested Improvements

headrests in the back create a blindspot. better gas mileage.

Love my Jeep
By Christine

2006 Jeep Commander Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

After much research, I decided to buy the Jeep Commander Limited 4x4, mostly for safety features and comfort for my family. We have driven this vehicle from East to West Coast, North to South and absolutely love it! The safety of our Commander was tested recently and saved my families lives. Though the vehicle was totaled, the Commander took all of the impact, we were able to walk away from this vehicle with minor injuries. I will be purchasing another! One tough SUV! Gas mileage is not so good, but is made up for in safety, need the steel to be safe.

Favorite Features

Loved the seating comfort, 3rd row option was great when needed. Over all a sharp looking vehicle with the chrome accents. 4x4 would walk out of any situation, snow, mud this is a great family SUV as well as fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Keep making this vehicle, it is well worth the price!

Can't get right
By Isaac

2006 Jeep Commander Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Wife and I traded in my Rodeo after being run off the road by the Police during a snow storm. Vehicle handled great but the whistling noise cam in about 2mts after purchased. The dealer fixed the problem. 3mts back for the same problem. 3mts later same problem, dealer said it was the windshield wipers being too light, so I changed to duel wipers and it reduced the noise but it is still there. Truck wouldn't start wife took to dealer, said it was the battery while there they found it had a leaking exhaust manifold gasket, dealer wanted $800 to fix. Can be fixed for less and vehicle is in the shop as I type. Vehicle does have elect issues with tire gage. Stitching loose in rear seat.

Favorite Features

V8 engine nice power, handles great for size of vehicle, great turning ratio for it's size. Nice room for kids and luggage.

Suggested Improvements

Improve customer satisfaction. Seats are made out of material that either dry rot or stitching just comes loose after time. Fix customers complaints, if you don't know what the problem is say that instead of telling the customer some mocked up tale.

LOVE IT!!!! Continuing the Jeep Legacy!
By Soxnfins

2006 Jeep Commander 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Have the V6 4wd commander with only 50,233 miles on it, bought it 2 months ago and love it!!! Can't complain about the gas mileage because of the similar sizes of the vehicles in it's class getting way less MPG'S!

Favorite Features

6 cd changer, heated seats, a/c, moonroofs, stadium seating

Suggested Improvements

None! Just remember to put the stadium seating down in back before you drive one!!!

Trading it in
By jjf

2006 Jeep Commander 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this for my wife to haul our new baby around. We were quite happy for the first year, but then it started needing more and more repairs. The frequency and severity of the repairs has increased over time, and the warranty is about to run out. We no longer trust the vehicle, and are nervous about what happens after the warranty expires. Sadly we feel we have no choice but to dump it. issues: 4WD system solenoid failure, dead battery after 1 year, brake rotors warped at 25K, stalling issues, glitchy climate control, tranny doesn't shift correctly when cold, transmission seal leak, numerous tire leaks, AC no longer gets cold, door latch fell off, etc, etc....

Favorite Features

Overall this is a nice preforming vehicle when not considering reliability. The safety features saved us when we hit a patch of black ice going down hill on the third day of ownership. The 4WD system worked beautifully through unplowed roads with 1 ft of snow.

Suggested Improvements

reliability! reliability! reliability! A crappy reliable car is better than a stellar performing unreliable car. Design car seats so rear head rests don't block child seats. Ditch third row and add cargo room Hate the stadium seating. We get Ill when riding in the back and cant's see