2006 Jeep Commander Consumer Reviews 7

2006 Jeep Commander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Commander model:
Have Jeep, will travel
By Jeepster on 12/23/08 05:33 AM (PST)

2006 Jeep Commander 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I have the base model '06 Commander with the little V6. It's my first Jeep SUV and I use it primarily for business which involves regional daily travel carrying sales material. I maintain it regularly and all systems seem to run flawlessly. The Tip-Tronic tranny works fine, however I do have to shift it manually on hills to get the most out of the V6. Mileage isn't bad for such a heavy vehicle, and the thing turns on a dime and has tight handling. The interior ergonomics are great for business with lots of storage up front. My first real snow adventures sold me on this thing's capabilities. The backup sensors and turning radius allow me to slip this SUV into most parking spots easily.

Down and Out with Jeep
By Raquel on 12/22/08 21:00 PM (PST)

2006 Jeep Commander 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased this SUV brand new for our growing family. Within weeks the windshield started whistling during highway driving. Vehicle stalled while driving on the highway and turning corners. Talk about scary ! Dealership replaced windshield to fix the whistle, however they could not figure out the problem with the engine stalling. Reported this issue to NTSB. Stylish however unreliable so I traded it in for a Toyota SUV. Buyer Beware.

Leaky Commander
By unhappy Jeep owner on 12/17/08 13:53 PM (PST)

2006 Jeep Commander Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I am very disappointed with the design and quality of certain aspects of this vehicle. Other than the faulty water pump at 10,000 miles, the Service 4WD message popping up in the dash display, leaky rear brake light assembly.... The worst problem is the leaky sunroof ... leading to stereo damage. The car has been back and forth to the dealership due to the above problems as well as the water leaking from the sunroof area. As I am writing this, my wife is taking the Commander back to the dealership FOR THE 4th TIME ... The first 2 times for a leak on the driver's side .. The last time there was standing water at the front pass. floor. This time water is dripping onto the mid console/seats.

Commander is the way to go
By Jeepenthusiast on 12/01/08 13:08 PM (PST)

2006 Jeep Commander Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I am an enthusiast of the grand Cherokee and have owned several jeeps. The commander is the best model yet. With my ever growing family the third row seating makes it a lot easier when transporting friends in addition to my two kids without having to go the minivan route. With the ever unpredictable gas prices I was hesitant about getting the HEMI but did anyway and given the size and power of the engine it doesn't do that bad on gas mileage. Everyone says how terrible the gas mileage is on it which I found that if you use the power it will eat your gas but if you drive conservatively you will get maximum mileage. I get about 15mpg on ave. which was the same i got when i had the good 4.0L

Nice Ride
By Satisfied on 11/09/08 09:38 AM (PST)

2006 Jeep Commander Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

My wife and I went looking for a midsize SUV. We looked at and test drove several makes and models. The Commander was, by far our favorite. I could feel the quality right away. The ride is very smooth and quiet. The sound system is more than adequate. We were used to driving a little 4-cyl. What a difference the V-8 makes when in traffic and on the highway. The gas mileage is terrible but we expected that going in. The third row seat is convenient for our 2 small children, but they won't stay small forever. Other than that, I see no reason not to keep buying Jeeps in the foreseeable future.

The Jeep I was waiting for
By ILCommander on 10/30/08 13:06 PM (PDT)

2006 Jeep Commander Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

As a previous owner of an XJ Cherokee, I am partial to the boxy styling. The Commander is what XJs should grow up to become. I have the HEMI. Bought it used with 38K. Has the comfort and ride of a luxury car, but has the power of a sports car. I needed more comfort, room and power and boy did I get it. While there are some squirrelly issues with it, I think it is nit picking. Any major issues have been addressed with TSBs or recalls. Know that any enormous SUV will have bad gas mileage. That aside, this is another keeper for me for some time. Do your homework if you want one, and just pony up for the HEMI. I would not buy new - buy used and take advantage of the depreciation.

Loving my Jeep Commander!
By Carol on 10/26/08 20:34 PM (PDT)

2006 Jeep Commander 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I love this vehicle. It has brought my family so much fun. We have discovered parts of Long Island that we never new about. It is an animal on the beach. I have never had any problems at all. This jeep runs great. We bought it as a demo with 9,000 miles on it. It is terrific in all kinds of weather. Snow is not an issue,you feel completely safe driving in it. It is easy to drive and the rear back up sensors are the best. The third row is a bit tight for teens and adults. Smaller children have plenty of space. You feel nothing but a smooth ride. The V8 has a lot of power and pulls our 5,700 lb. travel trailer with no problem. I love this jeep and recommend it highly.

No More Jeeps!
By No More! on 10/04/08 11:57 AM (PDT)

2006 Jeep Commander 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I bought '06 Commander new, when gas was still under two bucks/gallon. Shame on me. The best I've ever gotten is 13 city and 15 on the highway. Leaking windshield and sunroof like many others have described. I'd like to meet the engineer that designed the drainage from roof to door jam; open the door after a rain and you get your feet get soaking wet! Ices up in winter and door won't open, leaked in dash. I've always been "light" on the brakes, and usually get over 60K before replacing same, not on this one. Brakes are gone at 29K. Lately, electrical system has caused car to die in the road. Interior materials around leather are cheap; cloth stains with just plain water spill

LOVE my Jeep!
By Jen on 09/24/08 13:25 PM (PDT)

2006 Jeep Commander Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have never felt so safe in any vehicle! This Jeep has handled any weather we have had in a year and a half. I live in NW PA so we see a lot of severe weather. We had a small issue with the passenger window, but the warranty took care of that. I have had to replace the windshield 3 times since I bought it. Every time a rock hits it, it cracks! Only 2 complaints. The gas mileage is typical for an SUV (13 city/18 hwy) and room in the back (or lack of room). My whole family is tall (Husband, Wife & 2 girls) from 5'7" to 6'4". Unless my husband is driving, it is very uncomfortable for him. And although I appreciate that 3rd row is an option, we don't need it as much as we need the room.

Chysler never again
By unhappy asian on 09/09/08 11:30 AM (PDT)

2006 Jeep Commander 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this Jeep in August of '06 and all we've had are problems. The brake system had about 12k on them and already needed all new routers and brakes. It has not been a year yet and I need all new brakes and routers again. They tell me it must be my wife's driving. We have owned many cars and trucks in the past 15 years and have never had this problem. The sunroof leaks and yes there is a whistling sound when the wind hits the Jeep in certain ways. I will never buy a Chrysler again!