Used 2006 Jeep Commander Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Jeep Commander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Commander model:

No dip stick!!
By lisaray

2006 Jeep Commander Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Was extremely upset to find that the transmission was leaking and went to check the oil and found that there was NO DIP STICK!! Will be getting rid of the vehicle soon. Will NEVER purchase another Jeep because of this. What if I was on the road and something went wrong w/ the vehicle and really needed to check my oil? Wow, out of luck. They sure do want to make sure to get your money. Love the vehicle, but never again.

Favorite Features

Nice vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

DIP STICK to check my oil.

Fuel Economy the worst!!!!
By rickyrick

2006 Jeep Commander 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

My wife purchased the non hemi V8 with 0 miles back in 06. Very strong engine, quiet interior, very smooth ride. Solid distinguishable looks. exterior, however the interior pretty bland w/ too much plastics. This model is supposed to get phased out in the next couple years, we got rid of it do to the worst gas consumption this beast would take. even on all hwy cruising trips this rig got 14 miles to the gallon @ best(calculated an average of 10 miles a gallon one time as well, pretty pathetic) and w/such a small 18 gal gas tank, that didn't help matters any more as we were filling up @ the gas stations 2-3 times a week! Traded it in for a brand new Hyundai Sonata Limited V6 just recently!

Favorite Features

heated leather seats, exterior color (Light Khaki), bold looks, strong engine, quiet interior for such a square looking vehicle. Trail Rated!!! sunroof w/ rear moonroof, back up sensors & 6 dics changer(until it broke down) tight steering for an SUV, 2nd row reclining seats were cool.

Suggested Improvements

BIGGER GAS TANK and BETTER GAS MILEAGE!!, do away w/ the cheap interior plastics. the 3rd row seats are a joke(small & cramped) I believe this model will be dropped by Jeep in the next couple years. Better SUVs out there(Enclave, Equinox, CX9, Tahoe) Oh and did I mention the fuel economy issue?

Don't hate it OR love it
By eeprof

2006 Jeep Commander 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

This truck is not what I think they were selling, an upscale SUV with 3rd row seating. First, the 3rd row seating is pretty much useless. If you have the seats up, there is zero storage behind the 3rd row and only slightly more space for your legs in the seat. I think I had my seats up about 3 times in 3 years for emergency kid transport. Not good for the long haul. Second, this thing is a truck; it rides like one, handles like one and goes like one. I have driven Tahoes and Explorers that are soooo much more comfortable to ride in and handle so much better. My CDR always felt top heavy. All that said, it has been a dependable vehicle with 4WD that worked well in the snow. It looks nice.

Favorite Features

Heated seats and backup sensor.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage is horrible. Better suspension, better handling, better ride. The windshield defroster is wimpy.

Worth it for several reasons
By Larry

2006 Jeep Commander Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought the 5.7L HEMI used after some friends had trouble with the 3.7L. Engine runs great and I always have the power when I need it. I was very surprised with the very quiet cabin during highway rides, and smooth ride overall as well. Also, 5-star crash ratings and side airbags are a must for vehicles this size and the Commander has them. Luxury feel with the Limited package at a great price if bought used. Haven't had any issues yet, and will keep our fingers crossed as we approach the 50,000 mile plateau, where others have seen problems. Considering an extended warranty.

Favorite Features

Luxury interior, automatic everything. Exterior appeal, off-road capability. Safety features.

Suggested Improvements

Like everyone, GAS, but still worth it.

V6 4X4 Love it!!!
By Bigmaninds

2006 Jeep Commander 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

My family & I love it, we travel alot, dish out the tough terrain to it and it doesn't stop. Have the 2.25" lift but jeeps design for this needs a solid front axle. Overall its reliable, comfortable, and its very fun to drive. I would buy another but with the HEMI motor.

Favorite Features

Three rows of seats, adaptability to any situation.

Suggested Improvements

solid front axle, QTII in all commanders, no more uni-body:(