Used 2006 Jeep Commander Consumer Reviews - 294 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Jeep Commander - Consumer Reviews

2006 Jeep Commander

View reviews for a specific Commander model:

Strong and safe
By Mike

2006 Jeep Commander 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Well first let me tell you this is the best Jeep yet. The ride is really nice and all the safety features will help you if in a accident. People say this SUV is bad on gas, well I say lighten up on the gas pedal! This Commander get ok gas mileage for it's size, keep in mind there is alot of steel here. We have hear of others having issues with their Commander's but for us, it been 100% problem free. Our Commander has 65,000 miles on it and it drives the same as day 1. We travel alot and feel very safe in our Commander and in the future, we will buy another with out question. Would we recommend this SUV? The answer is yes but don't buy it if you expect the best gas mileage. It's very heavy!

Love everything about it. Fun to drive, we feel safe in it. We get alot of looks. Kids think it's really cool

The only thing we wish would br better is the rear view when the 3rd seating row is up. We wish gas mileage was a little better but really this is a very heavy truck, 5500 lbs plus add people you are over 6000 lbs. That why gas mileage is what it is.

best vehicle I've ever owned
By george

2006 Jeep Commander 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Jeep in 2006 with 26 miles on it and basically have driven it crazy to the tune of 103,000 miles with no engine problems at all. Only negative I'd have to say is the Goodyear tires that came with the vehicle were awful, I replaced them with Fusion XTI and its been great since...keep up the scheduled maint. and it will keep running.

engine and reliability

better seat buckles

never again
By never again

2006 Jeep Commander Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This is my first and last Jeep. Lets start with interior there is no cargo room, you can't see anything out of the rear window, when you are at a traffic light you almost have to lay your chin on the dash to see the light, it sounds like the front end is falling out on every bump. Now to the milage WOW I get better mileage in my 1978 big block motorhome pulling a trailer than I do in this jeep just driving around town ! I put a K and N filter in and it didn't help at all. average city is 7-9 hiway is 13-14.5

The stereo is very loud and good quality sound. (Maybe to hide all the road noise) My kids love the sun roof above their seats. Goes very good in the snow.

Gas Milage, lose the headrest on rear seats so you can see

Maybe I'm just unlucky
By cpr4cpu

2006 Jeep Commander Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have owned just about every model Jeep prior to '06 so I know what to expect from my Jeeps (or so I thought). I have all service performed at the dealership. This car has spent more time in the shop than every other Jeep I have owned COMBINED! I have had 2 computer modules replaced, had the transmission replaced, had 5...yes FIVE new nav radio systems (each time I have to pay Sirius another transfer fee), had the 4wd wiring harness short out, dead electrical system left me stranded, a burst fuel line molded through the firewall (that was a doozey of a repair bill), and now I find myself stranded 900 miles from home because the 4WD system decided not to talk to the main computer any longer

Rides smooth, quiet, and comfortable... when it is road worthy. The radio/NAV is sweet. I like the heated power seats, one touch window all the way up/down, and the rear temp. controls. Theater seating, all seats fold to form a completely flat rear cargo area. Engine is just awesome, lots of power

Lose the back jump seats and move the second row back a foot. Overall I would keep this car forever if it would not strand me ever again. Strand me once, shame on me; strand me twice, shame on you; there will not be a third time Jeep, I am sorry but my trust in you is gone.

This Commander Rocks!
By ST8JEEP

2006 Jeep Commander 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I have driven my 06 Commander for a year and am really impressed. It rides and drives smoothly. Cargo space is great. I have hauled 8 ft 4x4 lumber with the tailgate shut. Off road driving is amazing. Drove through 12 inches of snow in a corn field with no problems!

Third row seating. Plenty of power for towing. Great off road!

Gas mileage.