2006 Jeep Commander Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Jeep Commander - Consumer Reviews

2006 Commander Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Commander model:

Sort Reviews by

issues
By italian girl

2006 Jeep Commander 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Well lets see I just got this a month ago and I have had it back to the dealer 4 times now I have had the dashlight issues that a lot og ppl have had my windshield whistles too they r replacing that in the morning so we'll see how that goes my tire pressure lights constantly comes on I had other stuff wrong with it too but none of it left me brokedown anywhere but all in all I do love it I have 4 kids so its excellent for my family

Favorite Features

heated seats they are great for a person with a bad back

Suggested Improvements

electrical powertrain windshield needs to be bigger height wise too many blind spots

My problems
By Shauna

2006 Jeep Commander Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have had my jeep for awhile. About a year after I purchased my jeep I started having problems with it. It does stall when driving on the highway and other roads. The dash lights all go off and the meters (speedometer etc) all shut off. My radio shuts off and heat or air. They said it maybe a problem with the wiring. Also my air/heat doesn't shut off. It actually goes on high if its in the off button. I had my starter fixed a few weeks ago, cracked trani hose fixed also. There is a crack in my power steering hose that needs fixed. I only have 88,000 miles, there should not be this many problems. I have also had problems with the automatic windows not rolling up or down. That was fixed.

Favorite Features

Fuel saving hemi, leather seats, seat warmers, sunroof. Extra room in the way back for more people

Suggested Improvements

Steering wheel warmer. A better constructed electrical system and engine.

First Jeep
By cskiwild

2006 Jeep Commander 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this Jeep to replace our ML 320 and because we where planning to move to NH and there where no MB dealers where we were going to. Bought it right of the lot, wife loved the color and I loved the looks. Had leather,sunroof and sky ports, roof rack trailer hitch 6CD,rear heat/air. loaded. I take care of my vehicle and do the regular maint. I tow a small motorcycle trailer and have just driven to Fl for bike week. I have 54000+ and got 15 mpg pulling trailer. have gotten 22mpgs with out trail on long trips to Ohio. It has performed great. Will most likely getting another if they stay in business and don't drop the model. Cheaper to service than my MB

Favorite Features

4WD for ski trips, sunroofs, and rear heat/air

Suggested Improvements

Hard to see over head traffic lights through windshield, should rack it back to improve vision.

Great Jeep
By Ken H

2006 Jeep Commander Limited 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This Jeep rocks! It handles the rough roads in and around New Orleans as easily as smooth Interstates. Comfy interior, quality design and materials, great fit and finish, smooth quiet ride and V8 Hemi power with a classic Jeep look. Too many features to praise including the auto a/c, which took a bit to understand, but now absolutely love it! The regular gas does help mitigate the v8's thirst, but the Jeep is so fun to drive I don't even worry about the gas. Such a quality ride. Keep placing the design and quality of this Jeep into all of your Chrysler , Dodge and Jeep products and I think you'll have no problems selling vehicles.

Favorite Features

Auto A/C, classic Jeep styling, Hemi V8, driving experience, ride and handling. MAterials quality, comfy seats, great seat warmers, Satellite radio, easy Nav screen, headroom and excellent visibility!

Suggested Improvements

Get a little better mpg if you can, but there isn't anything I can think to improve in this Jeep.

Problems
By Joseph

2006 Jeep Commander 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Like my truck but now I hit 50K miles on my 06 Commander and here come the problems. It is all electrical. It will shut off all dash lights make a lot pop and come back on. took it to the dealership and they can't find anything wrong. Then the way home from the dealership it happens twice. But the dealership said everything is fine... Yeah right!

Suggested Improvements

Fix the electrical problems

2006 65th anniversary model
By ol snowtires

2006 Jeep Commander 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Great Jeep. I have a little over 26,000 miles on it. It came with a 6cd changer that plays mp3's. Stereo system sounds great. 3rd row seating is a little small, probably best suited for kids. Be aware that the maintenance services are expensive. That comes with any 4wd system I suppose. Never had it stall on me, however, it felt like it wanted to a few times. Had to replace the windshield because a rock hit it. The windshield is very upright. I drove it from Pennsylvania to El Paso, TX with zero problems. Gas mileage could be better. With everything considered, I am very happy with the purchase. Great ride, roomy, and looks good. Would recommend to others.

Favorite Features

Moonroof, wheels, dashboard, armrest, stereo, rear park assist

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage, a few blind spots while looking out the rear window

overall
By ANOTO

2006 Jeep Commander Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Wanted an suv and loved the Jeep commander as soon as I saw it. Truck drives very smooth and gas isn't as bad as people want to think it is. I am a little disappointed with the design and quality of certain aspects of this vehicle. The side of both passenger and drivers door collects a lot of rain in side and when opened does get all wet inside floor of truck. This has caused my doors to rust and creak. I just had get a new starter after only 40,000 miles. I take very good care of my truck so now sure why I need a new starter already and dealership had no idea either. They said they never have seen it before. Also my back sensors have pushed in and every time I back up it beeps no matter what

Favorite Features

Love the box shape of the truck and I have the limited edition which I love to. I bought it mostly because of the snow up here in Rochester NY. Also love the auto high beams

Suggested Improvements

needs improvement on design, better fabrics on seats

String of Problems from day one
By esavioli

2006 Jeep Commander 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Where to begin? It stalls for no reason at all at low speeds. Took it in for the sunroof whistling noise. Dealership claimed the windshield was the problem. After a new windshield, found that the roof panels are rusted out so badly that the weld has separated around the windshield frame. There is a leak and they cannot find it. Window controls are possessed. When it's cold outside, the radio will not work. Have had to have the powertrain system reprogrammed twice. This is my second Jeep and I'm extremely disappointed.

Favorite Features

Comfortable ride

Suggested Improvements

Chrysler needs to step up to the plate on this one...too many problems.

What a Ride!
By sue

2006 Jeep Commander Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This Commander is the 4th Jeep I've owned, and the best! It already gets better gas mileage than the 03 GC I traded with the the big 4.0L HO engine. The Hemi takes a bit getting used to, but in the snow she shines! I splurged on the lifetime warranty and intend to keep her for a long long time! The only thing I wish she had is a remote start. I drive 30 miles round trip to work, and this suv makes that drive a pleasure. With that said, she's really built for the open road, and trips to snow country are great too. I don't even feel my boat when I'm pulling it behind my Commander! This car is a keeper! Well done!

Favorite Features

Hemi, interior room, all the non-slip techno stuff, sound system, back-up assist...the list goes on :)

Suggested Improvements

How about washers that don't freeze at -30? Rear visibility could use some help, and the passenger rear head rest is hard to see around.

yes dear, another jeep
By tbone

2006 Jeep Commander 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned every Jeep in the line up short of the compass and patriot. This one is a favorite. It rides great, does awesome in snow, and feels good to drive. My wife loves the comfort (heated cloth seats) and the gushy ride. The ride home from the dealership gave me 17.3 mpg which I didn't think was too bad for a heavy car. I love this Jeep!!!

Favorite Features

great ride, heated cloth, power,adjustable pedals

Suggested Improvements

ditch the 3rd row, add two more cupholders, lift about 2 inches