2006 Jeep Commander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Commander model:
Great Jeep
By Ken H on 03/18/09 20:20 PM (PDT)

2006 Jeep Commander Limited 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This Jeep rocks! It handles the rough roads in and around New Orleans as easily as smooth Interstates. Comfy interior, quality design and materials, great fit and finish, smooth quiet ride and V8 Hemi power with a classic Jeep look. Too many features to praise including the auto a/c, which took a bit to understand, but now absolutely love it! The regular gas does help mitigate the v8's thirst, but the Jeep is so fun to drive I don't even worry about the gas. Such a quality ride. Keep placing the design and quality of this Jeep into all of your Chrysler , Dodge and Jeep products and I think you'll have no problems selling vehicles.

Problems
By Joseph on 03/18/09 18:10 PM (PDT)

2006 Jeep Commander 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Like my truck but now I hit 50K miles on my 06 Commander and here come the problems. It is all electrical. It will shut off all dash lights make a lot pop and come back on. took it to the dealership and they can't find anything wrong. Then the way home from the dealership it happens twice. But the dealership said everything is fine... Yeah right!

2006 65th anniversary model
By ol snowtires on 03/09/09 19:40 PM (PDT)

2006 Jeep Commander 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Great Jeep. I have a little over 26,000 miles on it. It came with a 6cd changer that plays mp3's. Stereo system sounds great. 3rd row seating is a little small, probably best suited for kids. Be aware that the maintenance services are expensive. That comes with any 4wd system I suppose. Never had it stall on me, however, it felt like it wanted to a few times. Had to replace the windshield because a rock hit it. The windshield is very upright. I drove it from Pennsylvania to El Paso, TX with zero problems. Gas mileage could be better. With everything considered, I am very happy with the purchase. Great ride, roomy, and looks good. Would recommend to others.

overall
By ANOTO on 03/04/09 11:22 AM (PST)

2006 Jeep Commander Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Wanted an suv and loved the Jeep commander as soon as I saw it. Truck drives very smooth and gas isn't as bad as people want to think it is. I am a little disappointed with the design and quality of certain aspects of this vehicle. The side of both passenger and drivers door collects a lot of rain in side and when opened does get all wet inside floor of truck. This has caused my doors to rust and creak. I just had get a new starter after only 40,000 miles. I take very good care of my truck so now sure why I need a new starter already and dealership had no idea either. They said they never have seen it before. Also my back sensors have pushed in and every time I back up it beeps no matter what

String of Problems from day one
By esavioli on 02/15/09 08:40 AM (PST)

2006 Jeep Commander 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Where to begin? It stalls for no reason at all at low speeds. Took it in for the sunroof whistling noise. Dealership claimed the windshield was the problem. After a new windshield, found that the roof panels are rusted out so badly that the weld has separated around the windshield frame. There is a leak and they cannot find it. Window controls are possessed. When it's cold outside, the radio will not work. Have had to have the powertrain system reprogrammed twice. This is my second Jeep and I'm extremely disappointed.

What a Ride!
By sue on 01/17/09 06:04 AM (PST)

2006 Jeep Commander Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This Commander is the 4th Jeep I've owned, and the best! It already gets better gas mileage than the 03 GC I traded with the the big 4.0L HO engine. The Hemi takes a bit getting used to, but in the snow she shines! I splurged on the lifetime warranty and intend to keep her for a long long time! The only thing I wish she had is a remote start. I drive 30 miles round trip to work, and this suv makes that drive a pleasure. With that said, she's really built for the open road, and trips to snow country are great too. I don't even feel my boat when I'm pulling it behind my Commander! This car is a keeper! Well done!

yes dear, another jeep
By tbone on 01/14/09 18:42 PM (PST)

2006 Jeep Commander 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned every Jeep in the line up short of the compass and patriot. This one is a favorite. It rides great, does awesome in snow, and feels good to drive. My wife loves the comfort (heated cloth seats) and the gushy ride. The ride home from the dealership gave me 17.3 mpg which I didn't think was too bad for a heavy car. I love this Jeep!!!

Have Jeep, will travel
By Jeepster on 12/23/08 05:33 AM (PST)

2006 Jeep Commander 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I have the base model '06 Commander with the little V6. It's my first Jeep SUV and I use it primarily for business which involves regional daily travel carrying sales material. I maintain it regularly and all systems seem to run flawlessly. The Tip-Tronic tranny works fine, however I do have to shift it manually on hills to get the most out of the V6. Mileage isn't bad for such a heavy vehicle, and the thing turns on a dime and has tight handling. The interior ergonomics are great for business with lots of storage up front. My first real snow adventures sold me on this thing's capabilities. The backup sensors and turning radius allow me to slip this SUV into most parking spots easily.

Down and Out with Jeep
By Raquel on 12/22/08 21:00 PM (PST)

2006 Jeep Commander 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased this SUV brand new for our growing family. Within weeks the windshield started whistling during highway driving. Vehicle stalled while driving on the highway and turning corners. Talk about scary ! Dealership replaced windshield to fix the whistle, however they could not figure out the problem with the engine stalling. Reported this issue to NTSB. Stylish however unreliable so I traded it in for a Toyota SUV. Buyer Beware.

Leaky Commander
By unhappy Jeep owner on 12/17/08 13:53 PM (PST)

2006 Jeep Commander Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I am very disappointed with the design and quality of certain aspects of this vehicle. Other than the faulty water pump at 10,000 miles, the Service 4WD message popping up in the dash display, leaky rear brake light assembly.... The worst problem is the leaky sunroof ... leading to stereo damage. The car has been back and forth to the dealership due to the above problems as well as the water leaking from the sunroof area. As I am writing this, my wife is taking the Commander back to the dealership FOR THE 4th TIME ... The first 2 times for a leak on the driver's side .. The last time there was standing water at the front pass. floor. This time water is dripping onto the mid console/seats.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.