2006 Jeep Commander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Commander model:
Worth it for several reasons
By Larry on 11/23/09 09:35 AM (PST)

2006 Jeep Commander Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought the 5.7L HEMI used after some friends had trouble with the 3.7L. Engine runs great and I always have the power when I need it. I was very surprised with the very quiet cabin during highway rides, and smooth ride overall as well. Also, 5-star crash ratings and side airbags are a must for vehicles this size and the Commander has them. Luxury feel with the Limited package at a great price if bought used. Haven't had any issues yet, and will keep our fingers crossed as we approach the 50,000 mile plateau, where others have seen problems. Considering an extended warranty.

V6 4X4 Love it!!!
By Bigmaninds on 11/17/09 05:17 AM (PST)

2006 Jeep Commander 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

My family & I love it, we travel alot, dish out the tough terrain to it and it doesn't stop. Have the 2.25" lift but jeeps design for this needs a solid front axle. Overall its reliable, comfortable, and its very fun to drive. I would buy another but with the HEMI motor.

Run fast from this LEMON!!!!!
By LEMON ANYONE!?!?! on 10/17/09 14:52 PM (PDT)

2006 Jeep Commander Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I fell in love with this truck immediately but after 2 weeks it was in the shop 4x's. 1st the 4x4 needed replacement, 2nd-tire was leaking- pressure light consistently on, 3rd & 4th windows wouldn't stay up and the navigation, cd player and tv all died out and needed to be replaced and STILL was not working! I had the truck for 3 1/2 weeks and it is now back on the dealership lot under the LEMON LAW act...THANK GOODNESS for that! I loved driving it though even if it was only back and forth to the dealership to be fixed! I knew the gas would be an issue but it was worse than my husbands full size Silverado Pickup. Run from this truck. If you decide to go for it get the extended warranty!!

Love my Jeep
By Christine on 10/16/09 23:56 PM (PDT)

2006 Jeep Commander Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

After much research, I decided to buy the Jeep Commander Limited 4x4, mostly for safety features and comfort for my family. We have driven this vehicle from East to West Coast, North to South and absolutely love it! The safety of our Commander was tested recently and saved my families lives. Though the vehicle was totaled, the Commander took all of the impact, we were able to walk away from this vehicle with minor injuries. I will be purchasing another! One tough SUV! Gas mileage is not so good, but is made up for in safety, need the steel to be safe.

Can't get right
By Isaac on 09/11/09 07:13 AM (PDT)

2006 Jeep Commander Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Wife and I traded in my Rodeo after being run off the road by the Police during a snow storm. Vehicle handled great but the whistling noise cam in about 2mts after purchased. The dealer fixed the problem. 3mts back for the same problem. 3mts later same problem, dealer said it was the windshield wipers being too light, so I changed to duel wipers and it reduced the noise but it is still there. Truck wouldn't start wife took to dealer, said it was the battery while there they found it had a leaking exhaust manifold gasket, dealer wanted $800 to fix. Can be fixed for less and vehicle is in the shop as I type. Vehicle does have elect issues with tire gage. Stitching loose in rear seat.

LOVE IT!!!! Continuing the Jeep Legacy!
By Soxnfins on 09/09/09 11:19 AM (PDT)

2006 Jeep Commander 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Have the V6 4wd commander with only 50,233 miles on it, bought it 2 months ago and love it!!! Can't complain about the gas mileage because of the similar sizes of the vehicles in it's class getting way less MPG'S!

Trading it in
By jjf on 09/04/09 22:46 PM (PDT)

2006 Jeep Commander 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this for my wife to haul our new baby around. We were quite happy for the first year, but then it started needing more and more repairs. The frequency and severity of the repairs has increased over time, and the warranty is about to run out. We no longer trust the vehicle, and are nervous about what happens after the warranty expires. Sadly we feel we have no choice but to dump it. issues: 4WD system solenoid failure, dead battery after 1 year, brake rotors warped at 25K, stalling issues, glitchy climate control, tranny doesn't shift correctly when cold, transmission seal leak, numerous tire leaks, AC no longer gets cold, door latch fell off, etc, etc....

2006 jeep commander nothing but problems
By disappointed on 08/25/09 12:33 PM (PDT)

2006 Jeep Commander Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought a 2006 Jeep Commander new. I have had it for 3 yrs. I love the body style and the interior design. The reliability is horrible. I have had nothing but problems. Been to the dealer to have fix repeatedly approx 20 times. Perhaps this one is just a bad one, but I have had repeated ignition problems, stalling, windows/sunroof that won't auto close, heated fan issues, seatbelts issues, seats wearing already...leather. Will never buy a jeep again and am horrible disappointed. The dealership is working out a trade for me at this point since they are fed up with it also. I just hope they are responsible enough to get it off the road and not resell it! I no longer feel safe in it. Very sad.

Love it
By vsmustang02 on 08/06/09 09:55 AM (PDT)

2006 Jeep Commander 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

So i just bought a 06 Commander used. Its the 3.7L. I love it, except for the gas mileage. My co-worker has the 4.7L and gets better gas mileage. I think part of the reason is because it takes a lot less effort for the V8 to move the vehicle then it does he V6. If i could buy again I would get the V8. Otherwise, I love it

LUUUUV my Commander!
By little texas on 07/30/09 13:26 PM (PDT)

2006 Jeep Commander Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

"Just right" size. Not a teeny, dinky suv and not a 'boat' that minimizes the driving experience. It is nimble and fun while also offering great storage and passenger carrying options. Visibility is really good, I can clearly see the front end and all around the vehicle. The seat adjustments along with the pedal adjustments create a more than comfortable arrangement for my 5 foot nothing size. I admit it is a little high for loading my 2 year old into her carseat in the back, but I love the height when I'm on the open road and feel the trade-off is worth it. I can get 18 mpg on highway, but I have to work at it a little. Wish the MPG was better.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.