Used 2006 Jeep Commander SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Jeep Commander - Consumer Reviews

2006 Jeep Commander SUV

View reviews for a specific Commander model:

Research this to death
By Jhendo

2006 Jeep Commander SUV Limited 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Had a 97 Pathfinder w/ 197K on it & considered another (but noisy ride) & 4Runner (expensive & tight). Loved the Commander look but was hesitant due to reliability concerns. Too early to know if I made a mistake, but purchased the 100k warranty just in case. I have friends who have Jeeps with 200K. My sisters Honda Odyssey is in the shop all the time. Sometimes you just get a bad one. So far the ride is plush & surprisingly quiet relative to Pathfinder/4Runner. Got $10K off sticker on an '06 model. Worth the money given the '07 is not different. Wife was not a big fan of the boxy look but has definitely grown to appreciate its look and features.

Favorite Features

Backup camera helpful in backing into garage. Nav/Uconnect is just cool. Wife likes heated seats and how comfortable seats are relative to my Pathfinder. Friends have plenty of room in back seat and enjoy stadium seating. Great head and legroom (I am 6ft,175lb). Saddle brown seats/Limited a must.

Suggested Improvements

I have the Limited 4x4 hemi and the gas mileage is poor (but I knew that and I am not going to complain), 3rd row is tight (all are though), visibility not ideal. I recommend less plastic more soft moldable accents/trim like Japanese cars. More hideaway storage...where do you put emergency gear?

Commander: Soccer Dad Auto
By Pipe_Dream

2006 Jeep Commander SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought my Commander a month ago and am still waiting to get better than 12mpg city. Wow! Fuel economy means nothing at Jeep. I feel like it was something of an "impulse" purchase. I probably would have gone for something different if I had thought about it for another week or so. The first big rain of the year and my front passenger door seal started leaking. Jeep fixed. The looks and exterior sizing feels a little too metro for me. I figure I'm in it for the next few years, since the resale is dropping as I type.

Favorite Features

I really like the amount of room provided in the front. Comfortable for long trips.

Suggested Improvements

Lift it 2 inches and make the off-road package standard equipment.

In Love With My Commander!
By T. Brown

2006 Jeep Commander SUV Limited 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I've had my Commander for about 7 weeks now & I absolutely love it! This is my 1st brand new car & I couldn't be happier. Great suspension. It goes over speed/road bumps like a champ. Yes, it does get less than stellar gas mileage (which is posted on the vehicle info sticker), but if one can't afford to gas it up, he/she should not be purchasing this vehicle. If you're buying a car that has a $38,000+ sticker price, the gas money should not be an issue. I love all of the bells & whistles. I get compliments on mine all of the time. My family & I have taken several road trips & we all love taking it on the highway. Not as pricey as a Land Rover, but just as great, I think. I love this car!

Favorite Features

The saddle brown leather is really nice. The ride is extremely smooth & I love the "go" that the Hemi engine has. My kids love the dvd player, so it's great to have on road trips. They also really like the skylights. I can't say enough about this car. I love to drive it. Chrome features make it pop.

Suggested Improvements

The only things that I would suggest are more leg room for the 3rd row seating & a bit more cargo space when that 3rd row is up. I'm not sure how that would be possible since the seats are over the wheel well. If you need to seat more than 5 on a regular basis, this is probably not the suv for you.

The Total Package
By Greensburg

2006 Jeep Commander SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This is my second Jeep product. The last Jeep was a Grand Limited with the 4.7L V8. I needed more room and was looking at the Chevy Suburban and the Ford Expedition. After looking at the Jeep Commander I was totally impressed with the fit and finish of the product. Although not as large as the other two vehicles it had all of the room that I was looking for. This Jeep has a ride, comfort and limited road noise that would rival a premier car. The amenities were so numerous that I fully didn't realize all of them until after I had purchased the vehicle. Although the gas mileage stinks and I wish it was better, this is expected with a vehicle of this type.

Favorite Features

Interior design. Leather seats. Built in Satellite radio. Self dimming high beams. Auto tire pressure gauge on dash. Auto windows up and down on both driver and passenger windows. Excellent road feel and handling.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage. Seats that would fold into the floor for more storage.

Best Car I Ever Owned
By smitty999

2006 Jeep Commander SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Is the best vehicle I have ever owned. I previously owned a Jeep Liberty which I loved but the style of the Commander blew me away. I looked at the H3 but the Commander Limited was a much better value.

Favorite Features

Love the stadium seating, U-Connect option, and GPS. I also like the reclining second row seats.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage. Removal of third row seat or make it an option. Better location of cup holders in the second row seats.