Used 2006 Jeep Commander SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Jeep Commander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Commander model:

Replaced Volvo XC-90
By A.Boomer

2006 Jeep Commander SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

We sold a 2004 Volvo XC-90 when we purchased a 2006 Jeep Commander Limited Hemi. The Jeep wins in styling, handling, and features. The Volvo got better gas mileage. Somehow, living in central Missouri, I just never got comfortable driving a Volvo. If it needed service, it had to go back to the dealer in Kansas City. At first that was fun. Then it got to be a hassle. The Jeep is fun to drive, rides better than the Volvo, and can be serviced locally.

Styling, power, comfort, great ride, goes in the snow, fun to take on a trip with the Navigation System.

Gas mileage is less than Volvo. The range on a tank of gas is only about 325 miles.

Great Vehicle
By Kelly Hyde

2006 Jeep Commander SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this vehicle the first month it came out and I have no regrets. The gas mileage is not exceptional and there have been several minor problems with the windshield seal but other than that, this vehicle has been a pleasure. My only regret is not having the option at the time to purchase a vehicle with the flexfuel option.

Boxy look, exterior.

Windshield seal, ventilation.

The Perfect SUV
By Reviewer1

2006 Jeep Commander SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

The only problem with the Commander is poor fuel economy. Otherwise, this is the perfect SUV. Larger than the typical mid-size SUV but not obnoxiously big as most full-size SUVs. The Commander drives great in adverse conditions, such as rain and snow, and always feels under control. The 4.7 V8 offer plenty of power and it rides and handles great for an SUV. I leased mine and will either purchase it after the end of the lease or buy a new one.

Quadra-Trac II. The full-time 4x4 system provides the Commander with a ridiculous amount of traction in all conditions.

Better fuel economy.

Jeep review
By angie

2006 Jeep Commander SUV 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I really like how it handles and how big it is. I really like that it seats up to 7 passengers. The design of it is nice. It looks and rides great. I have always love Jeep. It really does well in the snow.

My favorite is the room. How roomy it is for a big family. The head room is excellent.

I have only had my Jeep for 3 weeks and my back wiper fluid doesn't work. Just keep in touch with minor things that may not count but they do count.

Awesome, Dude!
By flyfishrjs

2006 Jeep Commander SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I LOVE MY JEEP! This is the second Jeep I've owned, and I am absolutely in love. The gas mileage stinks, but no surprise there. This is a great sized vehicle - bigger than a Grand Cherokee, but smaller than a Tahoe. Great for fishing, hunting, skiing, and getting around town. My black lab loves it too!

GPS navigation system works great - even in Wyoming where we seldom get good GPS readings. The 5.7 Hemi kicks! I also love the placement of the auxiliary lamps - above the door frame. This is nice because you get light where you really need it instead of on the center console.

AC power outlets in center seating area, automatic/remote open back hatch (only the glass does this now), turning radius is a little disappointing, and driver area cupholder setup is stupid - why would the cupholders be 2 different sizes?