Used 2006 Jeep Commander SUV Consumer Reviews - 295 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Jeep Commander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Commander model:

drives like butter
By much mail

2006 Jeep Commander SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I test drove this on a fluke. Went to try out Patriot as price was more in my range. I drove the Wrangler Unlimited, too rough. Then I got in this Commander and I could NOT stop thinking about it. It has a great vintage box shape and great design. Interior is nice, sturdy, simple, not tons of nasty plastic. I tried the FJ Cruiser, as it got good reviews and it managed the road, ice, snow and rain well. But it rode like the Wrangler. Rough and sophomoric and unsophisticated. Could not be happier with the Commander. It has managed brilliantly in the worst winter weather yet in CT. I feel SAFE in it. I got mine at a great discount as it was a 2006. LOVE IT.

Maneuvers well, confidence in the worst weather conditions. I have a horrible hill of a driveway that put my prior Mercury Mountaineer nearly in the creek. I BACKED UP my icy driveway with no problem. Agile and smooth ride. Sophisticated. Great shape. Lovely design. Powerful and brawny. Feel safe.

Gas mileage is mildly atrocious. Tank too small. Standard warranty stinks (3 year/36,000) so bought extended for peace of mind. Would love to see round inset headlights and chrome grill. Retro colors would be cool. Standard MP3 player would also be nice. Gas mileage is about 14 mpg so far. eek.

Best I've Owned!
By nucklesc

2006 Jeep Commander SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Good power, great handling, great style, poor ground clearance.

Comfort and solid.

Beef it up, more ground clearance.

Good Vehicle
By Greg

2006 Jeep Commander SUV 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I've had the car for a year now - NO PROBLEMS. Engine is reliable, but the new v6 (instead or straight 6 in the older Jeeps) is less perky, and only slightly more fuel efficient. Comfort is excellent, although full size adults will feel cramped in the back seats - those are for sure for the kids/carrying. Head room is outstanding - I'm 6'5" and have room to spare, and can see out of the windshield without bending. Performs well in traffic and highway - very quiet actually on the road, which is a big change from prior Jeep Cherokee.

Jeep/Chrysler saving money using the same engine, but the V6 is a little weak - either go with the V8 or Jeep should go back to the old faithful straight 6!

Commander is a Great Jeep
By jshuss

2006 Jeep Commander SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have had my Commander for a few months now and have put it through rush hour and trips across the mountains in Colorado and i have been pleased and comfortable the whole time. It has enough power to push me up the mountains on onto the freeway. Yes, it does not throw into my seat when I press on the gas, but I did not expect that from a two and a half ton giant. A little squat in my seat makes me happy, nonetheless. The ride is smooth and quiet and things seem put together well. I have been in older Chrysler products and this one is truly a HUGE improvement. Overall, I am happy with my Commander, bring on more snow!

The rear seat sunroof set lights up the back during the day and makes it feel less like a giant SUV. I also like the reach of the buttons and the ease of the interface. Not too busy like a Lexus.

I would make the chrome door handles on the inside of the Hemi model standard. Everything else on the Commander feels good, but the door handles seem a bit lacking in the meaty department. Also, a handle above the front passenger window would be nice for those who need a place for a hand.

My Commander is a Piece of Junk
By IHateMyJeep

2006 Jeep Commander SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I drove my 2006 Commander through about 12-18 inches of water, and wound up blowing my engine this past October. I had it 8 months and it had >9k miles on it. Chrysler refused to honor it as a warranty repair, they said I did not drive it as intended. (Please look up how they define "Trail Rated") What kind of trail is Jeep referring to? A bike trail? A bunny trail? What? Turns out the air intake is low on the vehicle. Just below the front bumper! The insurance company that the dealer finance department referred me to refused to pay for the repair. I had to pay over $8K for a new engine out of pocket. I got my vehicle back just before Christmas. Now the new engine is burning oil.

I don't have anything nice to say about this vehicle.

Take it off the production line.