Used 2006 Jeep Commander SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Jeep Commander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Commander model:

The Perfect SUV
By Reviewer1

2006 Jeep Commander SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

The only problem with the Commander is poor fuel economy. Otherwise, this is the perfect SUV. Larger than the typical mid-size SUV but not obnoxiously big as most full-size SUVs. The Commander drives great in adverse conditions, such as rain and snow, and always feels under control. The 4.7 V8 offer plenty of power and it rides and handles great for an SUV. I leased mine and will either purchase it after the end of the lease or buy a new one.

Favorite Features

Quadra-Trac II. The full-time 4x4 system provides the Commander with a ridiculous amount of traction in all conditions.

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel economy.

Jeep review
By angie

2006 Jeep Commander SUV 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I really like how it handles and how big it is. I really like that it seats up to 7 passengers. The design of it is nice. It looks and rides great. I have always love Jeep. It really does well in the snow.

Favorite Features

My favorite is the room. How roomy it is for a big family. The head room is excellent.

Suggested Improvements

I have only had my Jeep for 3 weeks and my back wiper fluid doesn't work. Just keep in touch with minor things that may not count but they do count.

Awesome, Dude!
By flyfishrjs

2006 Jeep Commander SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I LOVE MY JEEP! This is the second Jeep I've owned, and I am absolutely in love. The gas mileage stinks, but no surprise there. This is a great sized vehicle - bigger than a Grand Cherokee, but smaller than a Tahoe. Great for fishing, hunting, skiing, and getting around town. My black lab loves it too!

Favorite Features

GPS navigation system works great - even in Wyoming where we seldom get good GPS readings. The 5.7 Hemi kicks! I also love the placement of the auxiliary lamps - above the door frame. This is nice because you get light where you really need it instead of on the center console.

Suggested Improvements

AC power outlets in center seating area, automatic/remote open back hatch (only the glass does this now), turning radius is a little disappointing, and driver area cupholder setup is stupid - why would the cupholders be 2 different sizes?

Satsified Buyer
By Mrs. Culver

2006 Jeep Commander SUV 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I wanted the feel of a SUV but something not as large, I traded my Expedition in for the Commander and I am very satisfied with the vehicle.

Favorite Features

My favorite features are the heated seats and rear assistance when backing up.

Suggested Improvements

Improvements for me would be buttons on the steering wheel and the windshield wiper and light control switches to also light up when turning on the lights.

ALWAYS A SUV GAL!
By V-6 Jeep Loaded

2006 Jeep Commander SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

After looking at the Commander I wasn't sure if I wanted a vehicle in its first production year, but I have have nothing but wonderful things to say about my Jeep. It is a late 06 Model with 07 options (paint-Red Rock), just a beautiful color. It is fully loaded with leather, heated seats, 3 sunroofs and Sirius radio. It is wonderful. I have had Jeeps before (Grand Jeep model) but I enjoy the Commander even more. The gas mileage is not bad at all considering I used to drive a Tahoe, but it really is not bad I would "HIGHLY" recommend this vehicle. My kids love it too, and it has plenty of room to haul kids to games, yet "Sporty" for Mom...the SUV gal! The price is pretty decent also.

Favorite Features

3 sunroofs, leather heated seats, and 3rd row seating. Sirius radio, and it has all kinds of little compartments all over the vehicle for storage of sunglasses, CD's or insurance papers. The rear assist is a GREAT feature. I LOVE THE RED ROCK COLOR (2007 color).

Suggested Improvements

The theater seating is nice, but when the third row seating is up, the headrests are so high it makes it difficult to see out the rear window. But, I guess that is what the rear assist is for.