Used 2006 Jeep Commander Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Jeep Commander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Commander model:

Best I've Owned!
By nucklesc

2006 Jeep Commander 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Good power, great handling, great style, poor ground clearance.

Comfort and solid.

Beef it up, more ground clearance.

Good Vehicle
By Greg

2006 Jeep Commander 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I've had the car for a year now - NO PROBLEMS. Engine is reliable, but the new v6 (instead or straight 6 in the older Jeeps) is less perky, and only slightly more fuel efficient. Comfort is excellent, although full size adults will feel cramped in the back seats - those are for sure for the kids/carrying. Head room is outstanding - I'm 6'5" and have room to spare, and can see out of the windshield without bending. Performs well in traffic and highway - very quiet actually on the road, which is a big change from prior Jeep Cherokee.

Jeep/Chrysler saving money using the same engine, but the V6 is a little weak - either go with the V8 or Jeep should go back to the old faithful straight 6!

Commander is a Great Jeep
By jshuss

2006 Jeep Commander Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have had my Commander for a few months now and have put it through rush hour and trips across the mountains in Colorado and i have been pleased and comfortable the whole time. It has enough power to push me up the mountains on onto the freeway. Yes, it does not throw into my seat when I press on the gas, but I did not expect that from a two and a half ton giant. A little squat in my seat makes me happy, nonetheless. The ride is smooth and quiet and things seem put together well. I have been in older Chrysler products and this one is truly a HUGE improvement. Overall, I am happy with my Commander, bring on more snow!

The rear seat sunroof set lights up the back during the day and makes it feel less like a giant SUV. I also like the reach of the buttons and the ease of the interface. Not too busy like a Lexus.

I would make the chrome door handles on the inside of the Hemi model standard. Everything else on the Commander feels good, but the door handles seem a bit lacking in the meaty department. Also, a handle above the front passenger window would be nice for those who need a place for a hand.

My Commander is a Piece of Junk
By IHateMyJeep

2006 Jeep Commander 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I drove my 2006 Commander through about 12-18 inches of water, and wound up blowing my engine this past October. I had it 8 months and it had >9k miles on it. Chrysler refused to honor it as a warranty repair, they said I did not drive it as intended. (Please look up how they define "Trail Rated") What kind of trail is Jeep referring to? A bike trail? A bunny trail? What? Turns out the air intake is low on the vehicle. Just below the front bumper! The insurance company that the dealer finance department referred me to refused to pay for the repair. I had to pay over $8K for a new engine out of pocket. I got my vehicle back just before Christmas. Now the new engine is burning oil.

I don't have anything nice to say about this vehicle.

Take it off the production line.

If I only had it to do over
By CMEGOBY

2006 Jeep Commander 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Unfortunately all I can say is this is the worst vehicle I have ever owned and I am currently at 25 and counting. This thing has far less room than I anticipated and is very uncomfortable on long trips. To top things off it has been at the dealer getting things fixed more than it has been in my driveway. If your looking for a fun, reliable, and comfortable SUV then I recommend looking elsewhere.

It has a cool classic Jeep look to it which is what drew me to the car.

Quality, reliability, comfort, etc. I can not put into words how disappointed I am with this purchase. I am also surprised that my much bigger Ford Expedition gets better gas mileage than this tiny Jeep which only has the 4.7 V8 and is not 4X4.