Used 2006 Jeep Commander Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Jeep Commander - Consumer Reviews

2006 Jeep Commander

View reviews for a specific Commander model:

All rolled into one...
By BIGMEL

2006 Jeep Commander Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

It has styling cues from the Jeeps of old, luxury interior that share parts with Mercedes Benzs, great ride and comfort features. It's trail rated and can tow almost as much as my Dodge Ram. It has a presence when you go somewhere fancy and strength when you go off-road. It will tow my old Jeep, carry 5 adults in comfort and still have room for some cargo. And to top it all off it's more manuverable than a lot of bigger SUV's out there. Parking is never a problem anymore and its features help in backing out.

Favorite Features

Sunroof, 3 skylights, good head room, towing capacity, off road capability. Looks like Chrysler tried to make a cheap G-wagon, and I like it.

Suggested Improvements

Needs a "this is not a HUMMER" decal." Interior door handles seem to rest right against the bone of the side of my knee no matter how much i adjust the seat. Needs a touchscreen nav system (funny because I used to work for the company that made it).

Love my Commander, except for a glitch!
By Anna

2006 Jeep Commander 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I've owned my 2006 Commander for about 1 1/2 years and I love the ride. It was a big step up from my Mitsu Diamante. I needed something bigger for the growing family. The ride is so smooth. My girls love to go for a ride every night and fall asleep. The glitch is that recently I've been driving and the truck turns of by itself for no apparent reason, it'll turn back on when you restart it.

Favorite Features

Smooth ride, spacious, and I love the sunroof in the back seats.

Suggested Improvements

Sluggish on the freeway when trying to speed up, the truck feels very heavy, navigation complicated, cannot see traffic lights through drivers side and with sunvisor you get minimal vision out the front windshield. Not much reliability since it turns off while driving on the road.

Family 4x4!
By JD

2006 Jeep Commander 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

This vehicle is awesome. The perfect vehicle for my young family to explore the outdoors. Very comfortable and competent.

Favorite Features

My son loves the command view skylights and I would have to say the agile 4x4 and tight turning radius.

Suggested Improvements

All they need to do is improve fuel economy.

drives like butter
By much mail

2006 Jeep Commander 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I test drove this on a fluke. Went to try out Patriot as price was more in my range. I drove the Wrangler Unlimited, too rough. Then I got in this Commander and I could NOT stop thinking about it. It has a great vintage box shape and great design. Interior is nice, sturdy, simple, not tons of nasty plastic. I tried the FJ Cruiser, as it got good reviews and it managed the road, ice, snow and rain well. But it rode like the Wrangler. Rough and sophomoric and unsophisticated. Could not be happier with the Commander. It has managed brilliantly in the worst winter weather yet in CT. I feel SAFE in it. I got mine at a great discount as it was a 2006. LOVE IT.

Favorite Features

Maneuvers well, confidence in the worst weather conditions. I have a horrible hill of a driveway that put my prior Mercury Mountaineer nearly in the creek. I BACKED UP my icy driveway with no problem. Agile and smooth ride. Sophisticated. Great shape. Lovely design. Powerful and brawny. Feel safe.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage is mildly atrocious. Tank too small. Standard warranty stinks (3 year/36,000) so bought extended for peace of mind. Would love to see round inset headlights and chrome grill. Retro colors would be cool. Standard MP3 player would also be nice. Gas mileage is about 14 mpg so far. eek.

Best I've Owned!
By nucklesc

2006 Jeep Commander 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Good power, great handling, great style, poor ground clearance.

Favorite Features

Comfort and solid.

Suggested Improvements

Beef it up, more ground clearance.