Used 2006 Jeep Commander Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Jeep Commander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Commander model:

Easy SUV to drive
By JamesCommander06

2006 Jeep Commander 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I've owned several SUV's and full size trucks and this thing rides better than any. It's got a better truning radius than most full size cars. I did have an issue right out of the start with the transmission down shifting hard into 2nd on deceleration. The dealer reset the computer and it went away. The gas mileage is also very poor averaging a little over 15 mpg mixed use. On long road trips the seat puts my legs to sleep and I get sharp pains in my legs. I wish I would have gotten the Hemi.

Ride, looks, and room. Awesome turning radius!

Gas mileage!

My Billboard
By Little Commander

2006 Jeep Commander Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Not that you would, but don't buy this SUV for the third row or fuel economy. You will buy it for power and styling, well at least that is what I bought it for. I advertise my business on it and it has a great shape for this purpose. At least the 5.7 can still run fine on regular unleaded.

Styling, engine power, and decent handling.

Bigger gas tank and removable third row seats.

Great Vehicle - Glad I bought it
By Vince

2006 Jeep Commander 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Let somebody else pay for the depreciation. When my $40K plus Chevy Avalanche was totalled by an 18 yr old slamming into my wife, I knew I wanted another 4x4. A new Avalanche was simply too expensive. After trading my 'interim' used car, I found the 2006 Commander (certified Pre-Owned)at a local dealer. Getting it was a very smart decision. Very comfortable, gas mileage for the 3.7 liter is exactly as stated. Power is good. Design is great. I don't tow anything, and filling the SUV with 6 people proved no problem. Having the base model (doesn't mean stripped) gives me a clean pallet to customize without the huge new car or dealer premiums. I love this thing.

Design (inside and out). Stadium seating. Many storage areas, fold flat seats, handling is rock solid, (did I say its very comfortable?)found out it's great in 12+ inches of unplowed snow. Really great value as certified Pre-owned vehicle.

Would like to see some 'go faster' aftermarket product for the 3.7 liter - Like Air Raid Cold air intakes and exhaust mods...etc. Having too much fun. Glad I don't have the V-8's (4.7 or Hemi 5.7) No V-8 envy here - stay with the solid 3.7 V-6 engine.

Jeep Commander
By Chris

2006 Jeep Commander 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this model to replace a Liberty that I rolled with no injuries. I bought the 4x4 sport V-6 and as for the performance it is lacking in the take off power however the weight difference over the V-8's is very benificial for off roading. The V-6 has plenty of power (with a few modifications less than $500, made my own cold air intake; gutted the exhaust system and a Jet II performance module) I have had this Jeep in some very precarious positions and I never had an ounce of trouble getting through the mud, rocks, or anything else that was in my way. As for gas mileage it stinks but you can't ask for good gas mileage on a full time 4x4 .17 is best on highway and 13 in the city.

The ability to go anywhere and do anything you lay in front of it.

Front and rear spoilers would be helpfull for highway driving. I have a hard time keeping control in high winds and heavy rains.

Must have gotten a jewel
By Black 65th

2006 Jeep Commander 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Had the truck now for 7200 miles - 6 or so months. Getting at 19 highway with mobil 1 and premium unleaded. The truck has been nothing but trouble free. Quarkey - yes... but a very strong feeling drive. Very happy. Use the gear auto shift and the truck will react better... What I've seen with these 3.7's.

Ride height and feel. Quiet for a truck folks.

Resale value is still a shame.