2006 Jeep Commander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Commander model:
Love this vehicle but not happy with it.
By cviz on 03/14/14 08:11 AM (PDT)

2006 Jeep Commander SUV Limited 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought my 2006 Jeep Commander in September of 2005. I have about 87,000 miles on it and keep up the maintenance. My power outlets in the front have stopped working even after I changed out the fuses, I have paid $3500 to replace the rear differential, replaced the battery three times, replaced the alternator, passenger window won't close right, water leaks in from the front and all four of my door handles have cracked and broke. Chrysler and the dealership both say it's wear and tear even though I rotate driving between this vehicle and my 2009 Kia Borrego. I have had two other Jeeps and have never had problems like this. I would have to pay $700 per door to fix them.

Another Great Jeep
By dylanc on 03/01/14 08:12 AM (PST)

2006 Jeep Commander SUV Limited 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I recently purchased my 2006 Jeep Commander Limited 4.7L 4x4 and love it. In addition to the Commander I have a 97 Cherokee with 230k miles! I bought the Commander with 90k, about to hit 100k. I have had primarily good luck with it. I chose the 4.7 because it is one of Jeeps fantastic motors. I would not recommend the 3.7L. Things to look out for: door handles crack and can fall into door panels (Chrysler plastics). The starter will go out, so you have to expect that. I replaced the sway bar bushings because they were starting to make noice, but it wasn't a required repair. I have been told that he 4.7L's will last forever, if you keep up with oil changes. I love the 4x4 too!

Be careful of this year model
By gladejd on 05/03/12 19:11 PM (PDT)

2006 Jeep Commander SUV Limited 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

We bought this model brand new in 2005. It was the first year that Jeep released the Commander, using the 4.7 V8 engine. As you know most jeeps use the 3.7L V6 engine, which is dependable. However, this car, we had it overheat once, and it blew the head gasket. On top of that, the engine block cracked. This is after one overheat mind you. The car is too expensive for me to fix, so I will end up selling the car as a parts motherlode. Too bad we paid a lot of money for this car. I can't say about the later models, but I learned a valuable lesson regarding any car. When a car model comes out for the first year, recommend not buying it and wait till the following year or two.

2006 Jeep Commander Hemi Problem
By pcjeepowner on 10/18/11 19:14 PM (PDT)

2006 Jeep Commander SUV Limited 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Since buying the 2006 Jeep Commander in 2007 I have had to spend major money on repairs. I have had to replace the battery three times already, I have had to rebuild the transmission, and now worst of all I have to replace the whole engine that is going to cost me $6,000. I have around 75,000 miles and this was the most expensive vehicle I have ever purchased and I am so upset and I don't know where to turn.

Great Jeep
By Ken H on 03/18/09 20:20 PM (PDT)

2006 Jeep Commander SUV Limited 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This Jeep rocks! It handles the rough roads in and around New Orleans as easily as smooth Interstates. Comfy interior, quality design and materials, great fit and finish, smooth quiet ride and V8 Hemi power with a classic Jeep look. Too many features to praise including the auto a/c, which took a bit to understand, but now absolutely love it! The regular gas does help mitigate the v8's thirst, but the Jeep is so fun to drive I don't even worry about the gas. Such a quality ride. Keep placing the design and quality of this Jeep into all of your Chrysler , Dodge and Jeep products and I think you'll have no problems selling vehicles.

recall
By marcus on 06/03/08 06:17 AM (PDT)

2006 Jeep Commander SUV Limited 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought this car for my wife after looking at a number of cars. One of the first things that I noticed when I drove it home is that this thing is going to love gas. But I was ok with that because this is something my wife would drive and she only do about 50 miles a week. Overall I love the way the looks and drive with that 4.7 v8. I had some concerns after reading a fee reviews from edmunds whether I made the right decision on going with the Jeep. I have experienced the wind noise from the windshield and the engine stalling. But I got on to Jeep website and went to the owners link and to my surprise the have issued a recall on the engine stalling. So hopefully this will fix that problem.

Concerned
By Robin on 04/23/08 08:27 AM (PDT)

2006 Jeep Commander SUV Limited 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought my Commander new in Jan. 07 and have had problems with the window trim that the dealership can't seem to fix. I have had a few other problems with the rotors causing vibration, window not going up, back tail lights leaking, drivers rear door lock not unlocking and it rides like it is going to fall apart. For some reason the dealership always seems to not find a problem and I am tired of brining it in.

Commander Limited 5.7 4x2
By lovemyxk on 02/24/08 23:01 PM (PST)

2006 Jeep Commander SUV Limited 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Without a doubt one of the best vehicles I've ever driven. Love the power of the 5.7 Hemi. Fuel economy isn't bad for a big V-8, averaging about 16 mpg in mixed driving. Front seat comfort is great, rear DVD is a must have w/ wireless headphones. Rear seat passengers have a great view with rear sunroofs and stadium style seating. The rear seat is a bit snug, though, but great for children or smaller adults. Love the styling, it really stands out, mine is Inferno Red and love the way it looks with the chrome finish wheels. Rides great, especially on long highway trips.

Perfect Car for my family.
By Great Car on 06/18/07 21:47 PM (PDT)

2006 Jeep Commander SUV Limited 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

My parents bought this car in September after my sister and I begged for it. My mom was very hesitant at first because she thought that it was a Hummer. She also didn't want people to think that she was a gas guzzler. On the other end my dad, the typical manly man, loves Howard Stern (Sirius was a major plus), loves sports and he loves his new manly car. Also it was a huge improvement from our purple minivan. As a young person I was attracted to this car for the sunlights in the back and I also liked the silver handles on the door. When we went on our first big trip with this car we went to Palm Springs. Interstate 10 down there is very windy, and we could hear all of the wind!

First Jeep and Love It
By tcchadwell on 04/24/07 11:57 AM (PDT)

2006 Jeep Commander SUV Limited 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought used, fully loaded Limited with 4.7 L V8. Rides like a four door sedan unlike my old Explorer or Durango. Very quiet on the highway too. Smaller V8 provides plenty of performance. So far I have found no problems with it. Third seat is split with straps on the back to pull up and fold flat. Daughter loves to sit in the third row. Nav system is a must although touch screen would be even better.

1 2 3 4 5 next »

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.