Used 2006 Jeep Commander SUV Consumer Reviews - 294 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Jeep Commander SUV - Consumer Reviews

2006 Jeep Commander SUV

View reviews for a specific Commander model:

4x4 sculpter outside my home
By D. Rivers

2006 Jeep Commander SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

first of all I am a true Jeep fan and have owned almost nothing but jeeps. However this time Jeep has left me beyond disappointed with the 2006 commander. I bought mine in 2005 and at first it was incredible to drive and looked great. My Jeep still looks great but the problem is 75% of the time it just wont start. Its a good looking, paid for, sitting sculpture outside my house!! The transmission has been replaced once, the fuel pump has been replaced twice and the battery has been replaced 3 times and still no luck on finding the cause on why this great looking truck wont start. in this last year it has sat 90% of the year outside my house because everytime I get it towed to a shop and drop a significant amount of money to get it fixed it always comes back home to not start again. It seems a lot of people are having the same problems with these trucks and I have yet to find someone with the remedy to this problem so yeah. I have a 1994 grand Cherokee limited with so many miles people have to look twice and its starts and runs with no problem, my 2006 commander with very little mileage for its age doesn't start 75% of the time so yeah extremely disappointed this time around with my jeep purchase and its a shame because I really do like the style and comfort of it .

5.7 L HEMI... Not listed hmmm
By Skyler

2006 Jeep Commander SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought this car with the 5.7 L HEMI and it has been amazing! I have had no problems. The only things with 129,500 mi on it was i had to replace the headlights, transmission hose, really just wear and tear things that would happen on any vehicle any time. This has been a very reliable truck for me. Gas mileage could be much better, it is a jeep so i knew what i was getting into. The interior is nice and nothing has ever broke on me or had to replace anything. I am very happy with my truck and would buy another but nothing lower than my 5.7 as this thing can get going fast when i want it to and has handled everything. I have taken this think off roading and it is a champ through mud, water, snow, rain, anything.

Jeep engineers -- YOU Should lost your JOB !!!
By gabe J

2006 Jeep Commander SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Well where do I start... OK when I pull up to a stop light I should not have to lean forward to see the light; when I have a passenger, he/she can not get into the glove dept: your sun roof water ports get clogged and leak to the floor board, REALLY: why would you only put on map holder behind the driver seat and not one on the passenger side: the off road handle why put it way from the seat, the sun blinds totally useless for the side use: navigation completely non user friendly, the updates are $300 for a disk: cup holders for the back seat with 3 passengers total count ZERO! fold down seat for access to rear seats only a kid can get in and out. then all the common problems that come with the commander. why send such a p.o.c. car out I will never again buy a JEEP I will tell everyone see NOT to BUY a JEEP !!!!

Diamond in the rough!
By D Nabob

2006 Jeep Commander SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I was looking for a used SUV for my wife and to use with a tow dolly. Scanning Crigeslist in the summer of 2015 I seen an opportunity buy on a 2006 4x4, 4.7 v8, (Base) with the tow package. The price was $2,800, that's correct, $2,800! With only 126k miles needless to say it needed some work, lol. I was the second caller and a high school aged female told me that if the first person didn't buy it she'd me call back. I thought, "Well that one's gone".

She does call me back and says that the first person wanted to bring his mechanic back for a second opinion, but didn't leave a deposit. The things that make you go hmmm, lol. I go and see the Commander and it needs some body work, the interior is filthy, both front door handles are broken, needs rear anti sway bar bushings, and has broken exhaust manifold bolts on both sides, which could be mistaken for upper valve train noise. The bodywork needed didn't effect the sheet metal, but only the front slip, one fender flare, and the rear bumper, which I was able to repair.

In ending, the majority of the work I did myself, like painting the front and rear bumpers and all fender flares with bedliner spray for about $75. Replacing both door handles, purchased from eBay for $65. I invested about $1,200 including fluid changes and a complete tuneup, which brought my total cost to about $4,000! Now that everything is done I cannot believe how well this vehicle drives and handles! I've owned a Jeep Grand Cherokee and in my opinion isn't as comfortable. This Commander was obviously neglected, but the engine and transmission are both smooth and responsive and the Tow / Haul feature is great. THIS COMMANDER IS BUILT TO LAST!

Don't ever buy a Jeep!
By whaiges

2006 Jeep Commander SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

We've had nothing but problems with our 2006 Jeep Commander. It was 1 year old and had less than 24,000 miles on it when we bought it. It looks great, but a pretty vehicle hides lots of problems. There is a design flaw in the drain tubes from the sun roof. The drain tubes are so small that they clog very easily and are very difficult to access to clean. When it's clogged, the water backs up through the hand-holds and drips into the cabin and soaks the floorboard. The door handles are attached to the plastic back of the door panel and they break easily and you have to replace the entire door panel. We've had to replace 3 of the 4 door panels to fix the doors so we can open them from the inside. Both front seats wear unevenly and cause the plastic panel concealing the seat adjustment mechanics to break. The leather seats crack and require custom seat covers or you'll have to shell out over $800 for a new replacement seat.

In short, Jeep should be ashamed of this product and we've decided that we will NEVER buy another Jeep product again!