2006 Jeep Commander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Commander model:
Search GOOGLE -- so many problems with this JEEP
By hartnv on 10/29/14 09:26 AM (PDT)

2006 Jeep Commander SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Awful -- I have no idea how there are reviews on here with 4-5 stars, but when you read the review it is cluttered with problems. This make and model has substantial electrical issues. It appears many made have severe danger issues as the one I own has. It stalls while driving, hesitates and accelerates randomly, and periodically won't start. Dealerships and independent mechanics do not know what is wrong or why these issues exist. Please Google the problems and complaints.

Love this vehicle but not happy with it.
By cviz on 03/14/14 08:11 AM (PDT)

2006 Jeep Commander SUV Limited 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought my 2006 Jeep Commander in September of 2005. I have about 87,000 miles on it and keep up the maintenance. My power outlets in the front have stopped working even after I changed out the fuses, I have paid $3500 to replace the rear differential, replaced the battery three times, replaced the alternator, passenger window won't close right, water leaks in from the front and all four of my door handles have cracked and broke. Chrysler and the dealership both say it's wear and tear even though I rotate driving between this vehicle and my 2009 Kia Borrego. I have had two other Jeeps and have never had problems like this. I would have to pay $700 per door to fix them.

Another Great Jeep
By dylanc on 03/01/14 08:12 AM (PST)

2006 Jeep Commander SUV Limited 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I recently purchased my 2006 Jeep Commander Limited 4.7L 4x4 and love it. In addition to the Commander I have a 97 Cherokee with 230k miles! I bought the Commander with 90k, about to hit 100k. I have had primarily good luck with it. I chose the 4.7 because it is one of Jeeps fantastic motors. I would not recommend the 3.7L. Things to look out for: door handles crack and can fall into door panels (Chrysler plastics). The starter will go out, so you have to expect that. I replaced the sway bar bushings because they were starting to make noice, but it wasn't a required repair. I have been told that he 4.7L's will last forever, if you keep up with oil changes. I love the 4x4 too!

Love our commanders but lots of problems!
By niokal1 on 11/26/13 08:30 AM (PST)

2006 Jeep Commander SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I own a 2008 commander and my husband owns a 2006, we are both having a lot of the same issues. Both had to replace starter, Brakes, Wheel bearings, and my radio and passenger side window only works half the time. Did I mention that they both leak water on to the front floor boards. We have always been Jeep enthusiast but not we are starting to question the love of Jeeps verses the bullshit design and flaws that have come with these new models. Come on Chrysler quit trying to cut on quality we pay the price

recalled parts
By puckett1 on 06/14/13 13:27 PM (PDT)

2006 Jeep Commander SUV 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

i bought a used commander... its only 2006.... i have had to pay out 1000 for the software since it is under the cup holder and it gets the software wet..... i feel jeep should pay me back for the design.... my mercedes transmission wiring has shorted out. they said this should be a recall since they order this part alot. which cost me another 1000. i feel you should give me some of the money back since both of these parts have some recalls... i dont have much money single mom and all....

I've always loved JEEP
By smartautoguy on 06/23/12 00:15 AM (PDT)

2006 Jeep Commander SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my standard v6 4x4 commander used around 25k (v6 comes with all wheel drive, althought it says 4x4) feels a little heavy at first but on the high way, going 99mile per hour is easy. Super quiet for a Jeep because of longer and wider body that isolates the engine sound and the price was just right! Ride quality is very stable and nimble, almost feels like honda minivan. Handling is very light and sharp for a 7 passanger car. I've drove other SUVs but I love the BIG JEEP COMMANDER! My wife drove this to 80K and only one issue was oxygen sensor which comes on and off time to time - dealer guys said it is very common and some dealers reset is for free.

Be careful of this year model
By gladejd on 05/03/12 19:11 PM (PDT)

2006 Jeep Commander SUV Limited 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

We bought this model brand new in 2005. It was the first year that Jeep released the Commander, using the 4.7 V8 engine. As you know most jeeps use the 3.7L V6 engine, which is dependable. However, this car, we had it overheat once, and it blew the head gasket. On top of that, the engine block cracked. This is after one overheat mind you. The car is too expensive for me to fix, so I will end up selling the car as a parts motherlode. Too bad we paid a lot of money for this car. I can't say about the later models, but I learned a valuable lesson regarding any car. When a car model comes out for the first year, recommend not buying it and wait till the following year or two.

Cheap for a reason
By fervidmuse on 12/13/11 19:58 PM (PST)

2006 Jeep Commander SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

What we don't like about the Jeep is the fuel economy, sound system, climate system, and reliability. With mixed city/highway miles we average 14-15mpg which is what the vehicle is rated for in city-only driving. 250-300 miles at most per fill-up -The climate system has been replaced yet the floor vents never shut off no matter the setting. -The sound system has too much bass even when completely turned down. -After the transmission fluid was flushed twice, the car still had problems shifting so the transmission was replaced around 30k after arguing with the dealership. -Both of the oxygen sensors failed before 60k miles and the whole exhaust had to be removed to replace them.

Choose carefully kids!
By joeshibotnik on 10/24/11 12:43 PM (PDT)

2006 Jeep Commander SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

The only difference between new and old Commanders is age and engine h.p. Otherwise, not much changes. It is way overpriced new. Resale value is very poor. It is FULLTIME 4x4. Why? Is it that hard to push a button. Just think of the mpg increase if you could switch to 2WD. 12mpg is lucky in town. 17mpg is pretty standard. Put in E3 spark plugs and K&N air filter (averaged 19.1mpg on a 265 mile trip. Don't plan on hauling around above average height people in the back seat, especially if you are tall. Air cond. will go out. A plate protecting the lines will hold sand and salt causing leaks. If you own a Commander get rid of this plate, replacement of these lines... around $1200.

2006 Jeep Commander Hemi Problem
By pcjeepowner on 10/18/11 19:14 PM (PDT)

2006 Jeep Commander SUV Limited 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Since buying the 2006 Jeep Commander in 2007 I have had to spend major money on repairs. I have had to replace the battery three times already, I have had to rebuild the transmission, and now worst of all I have to replace the whole engine that is going to cost me $6,000. I have around 75,000 miles and this was the most expensive vehicle I have ever purchased and I am so upset and I don't know where to turn.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.