Used 2006 Jeep Commander SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Jeep Commander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Commander model:

Exceeds expectations, 5.7 hemi
By unclewilly1

2006 Jeep Commander SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought this Commander about 18 months ago with 140k miles. Limited, 5.7L 4x4 quadradrive-II. I am in North Carolina, Raleigh; I think this was a California car, that's where 'home' was on the GPS. I love this Jeep, my third, two Grand Cherokees before (1998 & 2000), this is my favorite. I do a lot of maintenance myself, or at least diagnose before going to the shop; never to the Jeep dealership if it can be helped. I have not had to perform any non-maintenance activities since ownership. My wife has our 2000 GC Larado 2WD with almost 200k miles (amazing relialibity) and I plan on upgrading to a (2015+) Grand cherokee 4wd Overland in the next 18 months or so.

Solid feeling. Quadadrive-II (made it backwards up a ice covered driveway with almost bald tires (still legal tread left, soon after purchase) and all way through the winter with a few multi-inch show days. I was amazed. The seats are great, I like the less bolstered seats. An, the visibility ( Commanding view ;) My first car with rearview camera, makes me feel a bit better in parking lot situations. Vary maneuverable in tight situations.

Since this car is no longer in production; it's kind of a gripe section. Just two items already echoed, gas mileage and shudder over potholes, etc. I think new shocks and higher series tires would help the latter. I will likely do a 2" lift with new shocks/wheels/tires next year.

Good Jeep
By ga19891

2006 Jeep Commander SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought my used 2006 Jeep in 2014 with 110k on it. Driven it for 10k miles and no problems yet. Incredibly smooth ride and a lot of boost from the engine. Very happy with it. Gets a ton of compliments when I pull up. Down side is the horrible gas mileage. Welcome to Jeeps though. Transmission also concerns me but no real problems yet. Holding up well at 122k miles. I'd recommend this car but be wary of gas mileage. Just take care of it and it will take care of you.

Search GOOGLE -- so many problems with this JEEP
By hartnv

2006 Jeep Commander SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Awful -- I have no idea how there are reviews on here with 4-5 stars, but when you read the review it is cluttered with problems. This make and model has substantial electrical issues. It appears many made have severe danger issues as the one I own has. It stalls while driving, hesitates and accelerates randomly, and periodically won't start. Dealerships and independent mechanics do not know what is wrong or why these issues exist. Please Google the problems and complaints.

Exterior -- Look

Trash this vehicle ... it is a death trap.

Love this vehicle but not happy with it.
By cviz

2006 Jeep Commander SUV Limited 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought my 2006 Jeep Commander in September of 2005. I have about 87,000 miles on it and keep up the maintenance. My power outlets in the front have stopped working even after I changed out the fuses, I have paid $3500 to replace the rear differential, replaced the battery three times, replaced the alternator, passenger window won't close right, water leaks in from the front and all four of my door handles have cracked and broke. Chrysler and the dealership both say it's wear and tear even though I rotate driving between this vehicle and my 2009 Kia Borrego. I have had two other Jeeps and have never had problems like this. I would have to pay $700 per door to fix them.

Chrysler needs to look at the materials they use to build these vehicles, not everything is wear and tear. I hope it doesn't take someone getting hurt due to faulty materials before they fix these issues.

Another Great Jeep
By dylanc

2006 Jeep Commander SUV Limited 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I recently purchased my 2006 Jeep Commander Limited 4.7L 4x4 and love it. In addition to the Commander I have a 97 Cherokee with 230k miles! I bought the Commander with 90k, about to hit 100k. I have had primarily good luck with it. I chose the 4.7 because it is one of Jeeps fantastic motors. I would not recommend the 3.7L. Things to look out for: door handles crack and can fall into door panels (Chrysler plastics). The starter will go out, so you have to expect that. I replaced the sway bar bushings because they were starting to make noice, but it wasn't a required repair. I have been told that he 4.7L's will last forever, if you keep up with oil changes. I love the 4x4 too!

The 4x4 is great in snow, sand, mud. I've taken mine through all of that with no issues. Be careful though, even the trail rated Commanders don't have skid plates. Features: I love everything the Limited has to offer. Automatic wipers, high beams, and seats. For a $14,000 vehicle, this thing drives and makes me feel like I'm riding in a brand new BMW. The Looks: I chose this over the Grand Cherokee, which is basically the same vehicle, because of the boxy looks. Reminds me of the older Cherokees

The transmission feels like the engine lacks power. Seems to struggle to find the right gear when under hard acceleration. Interior plastics are okay, could be better. For an 8 year old vehicle I still have people get in my car and ask if it is a 2013. Keep leather conditioned. Qwerky electronic stuff, typical Jeep. Gas millage is worse then some of my friends full sized trucks