2015 Jeep Cherokee Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2015 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

Transmission Broken at 2200 miles! Regret Buying!
By Disappointed Cherokee Owner

2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 9A)

I deeply regret purchasing the V6 4x4 Trailhawk 2015 Jeep. After 2200 miles, the transmission is broken. While driving on the interstate the check engine light came on, so we exited the interstate. A service transmission message was displayed on the screen. Upon stopping at the exit ramp light, the car would not move forward, although it was in drive. The problem repeated again, one block away from the dealership where we took it for repair. The car simply stops in traffic with little to no warning. Prior to the sudden onset of this transmission problem, we had no issues with the vehicle. When we arrived at the dealership, they indicated it would be at least a week before the transmission techs could even look at the vehicle as there is a glut of service inventory for transmission repairs. After they look at the vehicle to get the specific failure code, we would then have to wait for our turn for repair as they are backlogged for transmission repairs. We asked that they call other dealerships and find out if they can service it sooner, and every dealership within 75 miles is booked out WEEK(S) ahead for transmission repairs. We looked up this model vehicle online and searched specifically for transmission failures, and our hearts sunk. Many (hundreds of people) claim to be having what appears to be the same issue at very similar mileage (less than 6500 miles) on the Cherokee 9 speed transmissions. We are disgusted with this purchase and the customer service we have experienced from Jeep. I emailed Chrysler, per the instructions in the owner's manual, and have not received a response. I have called the customer care department and have not received any support. Jeep will not give us a loaner vehicle to use while they repair our brand new Trailhawk with 2200 miles on it that we paid $41k for. I know these vehicles are visually appealing, have comfortable seating, have good acceleration and performance specs, but seriously, no car should have transmission failures at 2200 miles. If you are still considering purchasing this vehicle after reading my review, I strongly urge you to spend a few minutes on the web searching car complaint sites for issues with the Cherokee transmission. I deeply regret this purchase and would advise any friend or family member to purchase something different, based on this experience. We have been without our brand new Jeep for some time now, the dealer has not contacted us, Jeep has not responded to our inquiries, Chrysler has not responded, and there appears to be no end in sight. I would never purchase this vehicle again under any circumstance, despite how much we love the appearance and comfort.

Reliability nightmare so far...
By Mike

2015 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 9A)

2 months after purchasing tachometer goes crazy. Revs up and down whether you're driving or at a light. Took it in and they upgraded the software. Recall also suggested this as well. This past week the engine light comes on. Dealer said there were 4 different software upgrades due. We didn't know except the engine light came on to give us a hint. Apparently fixed it. Wrong. Next day light comes on again. After 3500 miles a new vehicle should not do this. Prior reviews had mentioned this plus total transmission replacements. Should have kept the Honda accord and not 'knee-jerk" purchased this vehicle. Advice is to never purchase first year transmission updated vehicles or year models in general. Far too many bugs to sort out. Big disappointment so far!!

Love my trailhawk
By Steve

2015 Jeep Cherokee Altitude 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 9A)

I shopped every manufacture. I no longer needed the size of the larger SUVs and after reviewing several vehicles in this classification, found this to be the best fit. I wanted a brown interior and I loved the green exterior. I feel Jeep had the most unique style of all its competitors. It's a must to get the V6. It rides great and I now have 10000 miles with no issues. It tows great and has good excelleration. My radio functions great and I use the connect phone every day. No issues. So many SUVs look the same, this has a clearly different face and stance. I am very happy with my purchase.

Odd trade-offs
By steve.taffee@gmail.com

2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 9A)

I rented this car while on vacation so I don't have long-term data. I do have strong impressions after driving it for a week and several hundred miles. I like the exterior styling a lot. Contemporary, clean. The interior was roomy, with nooks and crannies used for storage. The entertainment system could be maddening. There is perhaps some options that I did not discover, but plugging in an iPhone always seemed start playing iTunes immediately. Not expected. On top of this, the USB connected iPhone would sometimes stop playing a song for no apparent reason. Audio playback of Google maps was sometimes garbled. The touch screen controls are slow to respond. The bluetooth pairing was fine and calls could be easily controlled. There seems to be something seriously wrong with the climate control system in the car I had. When the AC would come on there was a noticeable jolt in the car. Don't know how this got by their QA team! Add to that the temperature controls seems very finicky, with an increment cooler or hotter making far to great a difference in temperature. No dual controls for front passengers. Be prepared to negotiate cabin comfort with your passenger. Despite the full screen in the front, there was no on-board navigation system. An odd omission for an otherwise well equipped car. Well, except for the other lack of electric seat controls. Cruise control was flawless. Headlights bright, and windshield washers worked great. Consumer reviews of Jeeps tend towards the negative, as do reliability reports. This is quite disappointing for a brand that is an American icon. If I win this car in a raffle or someone give it to me, I'd probably keep it. But as for buying one, not likely.

Buy something else!
By thenameisjoe

2015 Jeep Cherokee Latitude 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 9A)

I bought my V6 4x4 Latitude last week, and I already regret it. The first issue was the suspension creaking while at a stop and turning the wheel. The second, is that the UConnect system is a pile of fancy garbage. It disconnects my phone, won't put calls though the speakers, doesn't recognize an iPhone as a USB device, drops SiriusXM connection frequently, radio has a lot of static, it's a nightmare to use. The third I have is the drivers seat sounds like a squeaking spring when I move, or go around corners. You have to shut off active start every single time you start the vehicle. The leather on the steering wheel is paper thin. My tow eyelet's missing. Transmission can't find a happy spot

The interior is nice, roomy, and comfortable. There is storage beyond my conceivable needs. The V6 has plenty of power to get up and go. It rides fairly smooth, and corners well for what it is.

Make it look more like a Jeep, build it better, use better leather on the steering wheel, make seats that don't sound like a bird chirping under my butt, scrap the entire UConnect system and start over, make the active start feature turn off and stay off, knock it down to a 6 speed transmission because 9 is overkill and useless, use the extra storage in the spare tire compartment for a full size spare, make sure all the parts are in the vehicle when it ships, scrap the UConnect system a second time, make reliable transmissions with an appropriate amount of gears. Provide regret insurance.