2014 Jeep Cherokee Consumer Review: Trailhawk V-6

2014 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Review

Trailhawk 4dr SUV (2.4L 4-cyl. 4x4 9-speed Automatic)

Trailhawk V-6
By johnd on

2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 9A)

Review of the V6 version, drop-down box does not include this version!! I could not be more pleased with this vehicle. It replaces a Wrangler and although it can't go everywhere the W does it is a great compromise. One of our problems with the Wrangler is at our age we just aren't physically able to endure the beating one takes when driving it even on the easiest of trails. After several trips to the CA desert I find the Trailhawk to be capable and very comfortable off-road. With clearance being the only limitation so far. This vehicle gives up some off-road performance while providing huge improvements in comfort, mileage, performance, & technology.

Favorite Features

The V6 and transmission are a great package. Good power and reasonable mileage. San Diego to Reno round trip via Hwy 395, mountains and much two-lane road: Easy passing and 27.5 mpg. averaging 62mph over 21 total hours. Auto-stick shift is flawless. FWD High easy to control and very effective. Interior is wonderful, very comfortable, and ergonomic. Great legroom and comfort for back-seat passengers. The very best cruise control I have ever driven! Speed selection at accurate 1mph intervals. Bluetooth phone, GPS navigation, hand's free VR, and Ipad connections work great.

Suggested Improvements

I have only two problems so far, one that is significant and the other inconvenient: The automatic parking brake is a real pain! 5,000 miles and it still isn't routine. It is especially cumbersome when off-road and shifting into and out of FWD Low, stopping and starting on steep grades, etc. and especially when operating it quickly and effortlessly is essential. People will get stuck because of this thing. I have tens of thousands of off-road time and am very adaptive to positive change but so far I think parking brakes should be manual especially on a FWD vehicle. After turning on the ignition the radio should stay in the its previous mode. If I want it off it should stay off.