2014 Jeep Cherokee Consumer Review: UPDATE; AVOID AT ALL COSTS

2014 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Review

Trailhawk 4dr SUV (2.4L 4-cyl. 4x4 9-speed Automatic)

By bendbob on

2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 9A)

I'm going to try to leave my original review so that you can see how this relationship went from love to hate so quickly. Sadly, very sadly, our Cherokee was one of the tens of thousands affected by the complete transmission failure. This happens suddenly, with no warning at any random time. You could be with your family on the freeway, or just as dangerous, you could be out in the uninhabited wild country in a new car that won't drive.
Avoid this death trap at all costs.
We had to take a huge financial hit and trade this in.

We got home yesterday from a road trip taking us a little over 3,000 miles of the western US.
Very comfortable, well mannered under all conditions. We even did some mild off roading in Arizona and the car never felt anything but ready for more. In mountain driving it can seem to struggle a bit to find which of the 9 gears it really wants to be in at the moment. economy was what you would expect from highway speeds in the 80s (gotta love Arizona and Utah!) mountain roads and carrying 2 adults, one Spaniel-human and a load of gear. We came home from the trip more sold on the car than ever.

• Shifting
  • Electronics
  • Purchase cost
  • Maintenance cost
  • Warranty

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review
By htan
on 04/17/14 02:29 AM (UTC)

We also recently took a 3000 mile road trip, unlike you we have not seen 9th gear. I have almost 14000 miles on my jeep and they have no answer as to why it does not shift into 9th gear but stays in 8th. I drive mostly highway miles daily (120 miles a day) at 75 mph... Chrysler says .... Must go 80-85 at a slight decline and ease into 9th gear.....hmmmmm... Sounds like a cop out to me.