Used 2014 Jeep Cherokee Consumer Reviews - 78 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

2014 Jeep Cherokee

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

Do Not Buy This Piece of Garbage
By jssr

2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 9A)

Fiat Chrysler of America must be paying people to write positive reviews here. That is the only possible explanation for this POS receiving glowing reviews from a few individuals here. Be careful when you see superlatives that are out of place or language such as "you must buy this item". This is by far the worst SUV I have ever owned. Mine is the 6cyl 4x4. It has been back to the dealer for three seperate recalls and we have experienced the same transmission problems that others have noted here. Why, just last night the battery went dead for some unknown reason (this is a two year old vehicle) and when my wife attempted to start it, there were all sorts of warning symbols displayed (Check Engine, Parking Brake, Transmission, Traction Control). The vehicle had applied the parking brake on its own and could not be shifted out of park. I bought a new battery and started the car. Initially, it would not shift out of park. When I was finally able to shift it into reverse, it slammed into gear and I was able to back down the driveway. Once in the street, it would not shift into drive, only neutral. Guess what, you can't shut this thing off in neutral....only in Park. So there I sat, with the car running, in Neutral, in the middle of the street. Finally, the car suddenly let me shift into Drive and I made my way to the dealer in 3rd or 4th gear. At the dealership, the service writer attempted to move the car and it got stuck in Neutral again. They had to pull a fuse to shut it off and push it into a service bay. We'll see how long it takes for them to figure this one out. This car has problems with the electronics and the electrical system in general. What may seem like a transmission issue may actually be the electronics. We bought this to flat tow behind a motorhome. Guess what? Fiat just came out with a TSB warning that modifications may have to be made to the steering wiring harness to make it towable. Even then, the electronics seem to have a life of there own. I would consider this car unsafe for flat towing. I owned a Wrangler prior to this and had -0- issues with flat towing. AVOID THIS VEHICLE AT ALL COSTS!

Fantastic Jeep!
By Bryan

2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 9A)

I lease this car and it is a great Jeep. I love the way it rides and handles. All of which are very smooth. The MPG is a little cruddy but thats expected when you are driving a Jeep. The pick up however is really good, I used to drive a Trailblazer and this car with the 9-speed transmission can go! We have had this car for two years and we love it. We pull a 23' trailer with this small SUV, we have the 6 cylinder engine. The interior is perfectly laid out and the seats are so comfortable. I am 6'6" and There is room in this car for a person who is 7' which is really hard to fine. The 2014 model had some transmission kinks that have been worked out in the newer models that I have test driven. I strongly suggest you buy this car and put it in your driveway!

Best Vehicle I've ever owned
By Chris Richter

2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 9A)

Wow after reading all the bad reviews of this vehicle I guess the stars and planets all lined up when ours was built. Our V6 Trailhawk is a early build model Dec 2013. The only issues we've had was a water pump that squealed and a sunroof rattle. Both were fixed under warranty. I've had all the transmission updates done. It shifts very smooth. Yes there are few recalls which is not surprising being that's it's a new model first year build. Other than that it's been very reliable. I have over 40k miles, taken it off road several times. I participated in two Jeep Jamborees. I pushed it really hard. It came through totally unscathed. I'm really impressed with the versatility of this vehicle. It can tow 4500 lbs, great comfort, latest technology, and excellent off road capability. It's possible that many of the negative reviews on here are a vocal crowd that have had bad luck with their vehicles. Hopefully most other owners have had better luck and do not participate in writing reviews. Of course if I had all the issues that others had on here I would be just as vocal and extremely unhappy with my vehicle. I just hope ours is not a fluke.

Love My Jeep!
By Kat

2014 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 9A)

Currently at 14k miles no major issues. Transmission takes awhile to break in and can still be a bit jerry but nothing big, the software updates helped. I only have the 4x4 with active drive I but this little jeep tames the trails like nothing! Took it up a terrible 5 mile dirt trail to a cabin through mud, snow and ice and was scared wouldn't make it up the mountain but it sure did! No loss of traction or control and plenty of clearance. I was amazed. Putting into manual definitely helps and is a great feature along with snow mode. No chains needed and I just have the stock all season Le 2 tires. City driving is good but sometimes sluggish on acceleration with the little 4 cylinder but hugs the road and fun to drive. Big enough for me, the 3 kids and the dogs. Comfortable and stylish. Love it and am definitely a loyal jeep patron!

Consider putting one of these in your driveway
By George

2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 9A)

Purchased a low mileage 6 cylinder Trailhawk with all the bells and whistles. We are extremely happy with this vehicle. Ride,fit, finish with attention to detail are impressive. Very comfortable all around. Storage behind the seats is a bit cramped. We have owned (currently) several mid level Mercedes products as well as Infiniti, Acura, BMW, Range Rover, (and Jeep). Not as luxurious as an Range Rover but detail finish is pretty close, impressive ride and quiet with off-road ability, and less operating cost. Interior seems more durable than BMW. Front is a bit odd style wise no more so than Lexus or Audi gaping mouth style but outstanding cars just the same. We have had zero transmission problems but this had been addressed by the previous owner. I would have been upset if I had just purchased new and had to get to the dealer several times to correct problems. Most of our MB and Infiniti service experiences were positive. Most of the other Japanese brands problems were unsolveable transmission related and ALL should have had recalls but the press seems to ignore customer complaints. At least The JEEP brand addresses and corrects problems in an open manner. They should build an SRT model. We will see over the long term how it holds up.