Watching our Cherokee mature
By Karpindur on
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)
When we bought it, I had the OEM oil changed to Mobil One. Then I had the transmission and differential changed to Mobil One at 25,000 miles. As near as I can remember, it runs just like the day I drove it off the lot, which is a day I have not regretted so far. To date, the only "major" issue I have had was a failure of the crankshaft and camshaft sensors to the tune of $400. The mechanic seems to have taken me some, as the camshaft sensor was obviously broken but the chances of both failing at once are infinitesimal. Otherwise it has been good to us. Strong, quick, and reliable, it inspires confidence in any traffic, weather or road condition, and looks great doing it.
Favorite Features
See above. Also, Jeep really hit on a classic body design with the Cherokee. Notice how all of the others try to incorporate, if not out right copy the Cherokee's handsome understatement.
Suggested Improvements
The back seat can be brutal on long trips, but little chance that Jeep will fix it since the Cherokee has been discontinued. The engine compartment gets incredibly hot and needs better air flow. I'm tempted to install a small hood scoop of some sort if I can find one.