2001 Jeep Cherokee Consumer Review: Reliable and affordable

2001 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Review

Sport 4dr SUV (4.0L 6-cyl. 4x4 5-speed Manual)

Reliable and affordable
By Leebie on

2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this 2001 Cherokee Sport almost 4 years ago as a solution to the bad winters here in Michigan. I chose well. This is a wonderfully capable off road vehicle with good ground clearance. It plows through the snow, sometimes pushing the snow with the bumper when it gets deep. There is a lot of power with the 4.0 inline 6 which snaps your head back when you want to play at the lights. It handles well on tight curves and despite it's classification as an SUV it doesn't have that vague steering I have noticed on other SUVs. The styling has been called boxy but I love it and consider it classic. It has never had a problem since I have owned it, just the routine maintenance so far.

Classic rugged styling that represents the capability of an off road savvy Jeep. The power is very satisfying which makes it a blast to drive. I have yet to throw anything at it that it can't handle and although I wouldn't sell it, I am assured it will have held it's value more than many other SUVs.

The only downside for me is rear passenger comfort. There isn't much room and the design of the doors, being small at the back makes getting in and out a bit of a trial. It doesn't worry me as I have only ever had 4 people in it once. The seats fold to make the cargo room quite acceptable.