last of great line
By E Wallis on
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)
I'm reaching 75000 miles and my Jeep is going strong. Only problem was the A/C blower motor went out which was $500 in parts labor. Other than that, it's been normal upkeep and service. If you can find a 5spd manual I'd highly suggest it. With my modified intake, K&N filter, 62mm throttle body and flowmaster exhaust I pull 22-23 mpg city, and 25mpg on the freeway. It's been a reliable vehicle and has never let me down. After a decade of the Cherokee, the 2001 by far is the best model. Chrysler did a good job of working out all the bugs and quirks from previous models. If you want your leather seats, 40mpg, 0db noise, and weak engine go with a Hybrid, otherwise get a Jeep.
Favorite Features
10+ years of solid reliable design, I6 cyl 4.0L 190hp engine, good suspension, easy to modify & work on, very easy to find 4x4 parts, tough on & offroad, and still one of the safest vehicles while involved in a crash.
Suggested Improvements
1) Footrest for 5spd models 2) Get rid of that disgrace Daimler calls a Liberty and BRING BACK THE CHEROKEE!