Best choice for a second vehicle or fun toy.
By stimp on
2001 Jeep Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)
I have had company vehicles for a long time and in 2011 lost my job and wheels due to this recession. I needed to buy a vehicle. I needed the price low enough i could pay cash. it needed to be reliable and not prone to engine or trans work. I have been a jeep fan for a while. owned two grand cherokee with no major problems. Anyway so I decided on the old school cherokee because I love its looks. its known for rock solid inline 6 cylinder 4.0L and solid transmission. any smaller problems i will fix myself with the help of the many cherokee fan forums. trust me these guys know everything and are very willing to lend a hand. this is the best bargain out there.
Favorite Features
I actually really like the torquey feeling of the engine and how it rides like a jeep. its not a cushy soft escalade type ride. its like a jeep wrangler ride.
Suggested Improvements
All vehicles have their noted design flaws. do your research and learn what they are. mine is a 2001 and is known to get a leaking evaporator core which is a $1200 repair. I fixed it myself over 3 days for $300 in parts, and I am mechanically inclined but not a mechanic of any kind. mine also has a problem with the instrument cluster not working at times. i am fixing that next. otherwise since i bought it just ad gas and go.