Get one and you'll want to keep it forev
By 5forfighting on
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)
My 2001 Sport 4dr 2wd was my daily driver for the past 6 years. I now have a more fuel-efficient car for daily driving and the Cherokee is a "spare" vehicle. But I couldn't justify selling it. It's just too dependable, low-maintenance and useful. Even with 150k miles on the drivetrain, it runs like new, never misses a beat and doesn't leak anything at all. It's a bit noisy and gets horrible fuel mileage in city driving (around 17 mpg) and only 24-25 mpg highway. But it's got torque to haul a lot, ground clearance to go anywhere, tons of cargo room (plus a roof rack) and is easy to drive in any weather, on any roads. I just got back from a trip (920 miles each way) at mostly 75 mph, no problem
Favorite Features
Torgue, tons of torque. Big enough to haul stuff but small enough to nimble in and out of traffic. Lots of aftermarket parts for the Cherokee if you like. Super easy to work on. I fully expect to get to 300K miles.
Suggested Improvements
ALL problems I've had in 6+ years of ownership: rear wiper quit, one window regulator went bad, a speaker wire and heater connection broke, I had to replace the oil pressure sending unit and the cam position sensor. All easy driveway fixes.