Used 2001 Jeep Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews - 111 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Jeep Cherokee SUV - Consumer Reviews

2001 Jeep Cherokee SUV

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

The Brute
By Clarkecars

2001 Jeep Cherokee SUV Classic 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 4WD Cherokee for one reason, no other small or midsize SUV at the time or now had the reputation and ability to pull my 23 ft saltwater walk-around fishing boat and tandem axle trailer. After 6 plus years of yeoman like duty, hauling that boat on trips as long as 1100 miles. I've replaced the radiator, water pump and a u-joint in 150K miles. It's amusing to slip into 4Wheel High on a wet boat ramp and walk up the ramp while larger pickups and SUVs spin their tires hooked to smaller boats. I wish they still made them and because I don't I won't be getting rid of mine anytime soon. It's a little Brute!

Tougher than steel girders 4 Litre inline 6 cyl engine and AW4 automatic transmission. It's a truck in ride and handling to be sure, but a reliable, nimble and convenient truck.

The back seat is its weakest point. Very little comfort for rear passengers.

tank
By goose1215

2001 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I'm 16 and got this car for my first. It has 137,000 on it an other than flushing all the fluids this thing is a tank and it just cant be stopped. Winter is coming up which should be fun to see how it handles.

4x4

ABS lol in the rain they lock up when first use them

One sweet SUV !!
By lakiemom

2001 Jeep Cherokee SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned and absolutely cherished my Cherokee Limited 4WD. It is the best suv I have owned in my lifetime. It's performance has been top notch. There were two recalls for heat shields that came and went without a hitch. I knew that the jeep tranny was clunky when I bought it. The 4wd engage is also clunky but after 7 years I have gotten used to it. I don't off-road but I have been in some raging winter weather in the New Mexico mountains and it has sailed through like the champ it is. My first set of tires lasted 80,000 miles and I have 27,000 on my second set with no issues to date. The bun warming seats are terrific. Can't beat a Cherokee. Can't imagine why they stopped producing them.

Exterior appearance, comfortable seats, power seat performance, cornering at high speed without sway, interior appearance is superb, weight of vehicle is nice compared to other suv models, gas mileage is pretty darn good for an suv

more back seat leg room, space for full sized spare tire without having to put the back seat down

Great Jeep
By drwhkm

2001 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this 2001 Cherokee Sport with 82K, and it was a great vehicle to own. Drove great through snow and mud, but also had a smooth highway ride. Engine provided plenty of power, however was also very thirsty. A very well-built, reliable Jeep.

Four wheel drive is excellent, styling a nice mix of modern and the classic Jeep look. Engine and body materials are very reliable.

Gas mileage is subpar for a small SUV. Not a lot of headroom and the backseat is quite uncomfortable.

The best vehicle ever built
By FBHSswimmer2006

2001 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I love my Cherokee. I fell in love with it the second that I saw it on the dealership lot. I surf so it's a lot fun to drive, especially on the beach. It can take anything that I throw at it and what I need it to do. It is the best vehicle that I have ever had. I'm gonna keep it until it dies, even with today's gas prices. Chrysler needs to bring this Jeep back and sell it again.

The 4WD system, roof bars, the interior space, the power of the engine and transmission, seats, and basically everything.

Nothing, it's perfect for me.