Used 2001 Jeep Cherokee Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

Love / Hate Relationship
By Bill F

2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this Jeep used w/ 40K miles on it for my kids. 5 years later it has 70K miles. I have spent a fortune replacing parts on this. Both front and rear differentials, ball joints, radiator, water pump,and more. Check engine light is on again. Probably another $250 part needed. It is a solid feeling truck that is fun to drive. The seats need more support. I keep hoping the last repair will be it, and that it is good to go for many more miles and years. I've got too much invested in it now to unload it. Maybe the prior owner abused it and I am paying the price. My luck has been nothing like those of the other reviewers.

Tough go any where do anything truck. Timeless styling.

Engine generates too much heat. Paint on hood cracks as a result. Bring it back into production. Give drivers more shoulder room. Make it more reliable. Needs head restraints in rear bench seat. Give it part time 4X4. It's rough w/ the wheels locked when you hit dry pavement.

Bring back the cherokee
By truxton

2001 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

My 2001 is my second Cherokee. I bought a new 1994 when Chrysler rumors came out that it would be discontinued. The 2001 was the last year, so i bought a 2001 Cherokee classic. My daughter has a 2000 and my son has a 1998. The Cherokee was a classic well built utilitarian vehicle. I love the visibility, 4x4 ability and the dependability.

sturdy, well built, classic American styling.

Bring it back!

Reliable and affordable
By Leebie

2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this 2001 Cherokee Sport almost 4 years ago as a solution to the bad winters here in Michigan. I chose well. This is a wonderfully capable off road vehicle with good ground clearance. It plows through the snow, sometimes pushing the snow with the bumper when it gets deep. There is a lot of power with the 4.0 inline 6 which snaps your head back when you want to play at the lights. It handles well on tight curves and despite it's classification as an SUV it doesn't have that vague steering I have noticed on other SUVs. The styling has been called boxy but I love it and consider it classic. It has never had a problem since I have owned it, just the routine maintenance so far.

Classic rugged styling that represents the capability of an off road savvy Jeep. The power is very satisfying which makes it a blast to drive. I have yet to throw anything at it that it can't handle and although I wouldn't sell it, I am assured it will have held it's value more than many other SUVs.

The only downside for me is rear passenger comfort. There isn't much room and the design of the doors, being small at the back makes getting in and out a bit of a trial. It doesn't worry me as I have only ever had 4 people in it once. The seats fold to make the cargo room quite acceptable.

My prayer was answered
By Mimi

2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I could not leave this site without commenting. My jeep was stolen last week and I only prayed that I would get it back, not totalled. My prayer was answered! I am a 67 year old grandmother who takes her grandkids (and friends)everywhere. Seven years of car seats and kids in and out, no problem. I cannot imagine having to replace this vehicle, at least not anytime soon. I would have had to find another 2001 Cherokee Sport if need be! Have never had any major problems, which I attribute to proper maintenance. Love My Jeep!

Cannot pick any favorites features. Just the whole package. And, it was even better after I after I added customer wheels and tires and put a slight lift on it. Love it.

Nothing I can think of.

great little jeep
By sierragrl

2001 Jeep Cherokee SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is my 4th jeep cherokee, and I guess my last one since they quit making them. I love it. It powers up hills, flies past the slow moving vehicles on passing opportunities. When I had a toyota there was no passing allowed, it didn't have enough umhph. But cherokees, no problem. Its great off-road, its small dimensions are perfect for tight hairpin turns on narrow, steep dirt roads. And all my jeeps have been extremely reliable. nothing has gone wrong on them and I drove each one till 130,000 miles.

reliability. 4.0 L engine. Size, small enough to go anywhere, but I could still sleep in it.

I can't believe they never changed the windshield wipers so you could leave them up so they don't freeze to the windshield!

• SUV