2001 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:
The real thang
By Karpindur on 10/17/05 22:59 PM (PDT)

2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This vehicle is the best I have ever owned. It's a kick to drive, has a classic, handsome style that stands out more as new models of SUVs get weirder and weirder. I wish I had waited for a 4X4, but my wife had to have our gunmetal blue Cherokee. Backseat passengers tend to complain on long trips, but hey, it's not about them is it? We put an awesome sound system in it, and use Mobil One synthetics in the oil, tranny and differential. We change oil every 3,000, and the boy runs like the day we drove it off the lot (now at 102,000). So far, it has been Uber Reliable. This weekend I fixed the problem with the oxidation of the exterior plastic trim. We plan to keep this one forever.

GREAT SUV
By MICHAEL NELSON SR on 09/07/05 10:35 AM (PDT)

2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I put this SUV through its paces and it just amazes me. Great look, reliability and performance for the Northeast. Too bad they discontinued this line and style. I'm keeping this SUV until the sport Cherokee comes back.

BEST Jeep SUV Ever Built!
By Central Jersey on 08/25/05 14:14 PM (PDT)

2001 Jeep Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have always wanted this model Jeep. The Liberty is just plain UGLY! Very hard to find a used one with less than 100K on it. Most people who own them want to keep them. Just love to drive it, whenever I can pry it away from my wife. Mine is loaded, leather, heated front seats, Infinity AM/FM/CD/Cassette along with all the standard Limited equipment.

the funnest toss-about ever
By Adam on 07/30/05 00:48 AM (PDT)

2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is one of the most fun vehicles I've driven. With secure on road handling and "go anywhere" capability it shows you what a Jeep is all about.

LOVE the exterior but unreliable
By Michelle from CT on 05/11/05 09:08 AM (PDT)

2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my car new in 2001 (Jeep Cherokee Sport). I still LOVE the look of the exterior and it's great in the snow. I thought I would keep it forever for that reason. However, it is 4 years old now and we have had to bring it in 4 times in the past 9 months to get it fixed, totaling over $2500. The AC compressor blew out and had to be replaced. The brakes have already had to be replaced several times and the engine light seems like it's always on regardless of how many times we've brought it in. I'm really disappointed but I think we have to sell it now because we simply can't afford it anymore. If you take into account our repair bills over the past year, our monthly payment has been >$600/month ...ugh!

Jeep Guy
By Jeff Neidhardt on 03/23/05 12:24 PM (PST)

2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Good car, wish they still kept making them after 2001. Good value, 4WD and space at a very affordable price. Why did they stop and replace with the smaller, uglier Liberty?

Great Utility Vehicle
By autoengineer on 02/16/05 22:30 PM (PST)

2001 Jeep Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Jeep defined the SUV with the Cherokee. This is my second one (first was a 1996, same color - black; I drove to 185k miles). They did a nice job refinishing the interior. Jeeps can do anything - I pull a 5000lb boat, haul carpentry tools and materials and drive through 3 feet of fresh snow (before the plows clear).

Awesome Ride
By skeletonkey on 02/16/05 20:57 PM (PST)

2001 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this beauty with 69,500 miles on it and I am enjoying every minute of my 2001 Jeep Cherokee 4WD! By far the best car I've owned. Great acceleration, sweet transmission, rock solid inline 6 cylinder. Can't ask for a better 4WD Vehicle. Rugged, great looks, reliable vehicle.

condition of 2001 jeep cherokee
By lmt on 11/03/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Jeep Cherokee SE 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

new tires, new brakes, serviced every 3000, miles. 44625 actual miles. bought new as lease car for real estate office.

last of great line
By E Wallis on 10/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I'm reaching 75000 miles and my Jeep is going strong. Only problem was the A/C blower motor went out which was $500 in parts labor. Other than that, it's been normal upkeep and service. If you can find a 5spd manual I'd highly suggest it. With my modified intake, K&N filter, 62mm throttle body and flowmaster exhaust I pull 22-23 mpg city, and 25mpg on the freeway. It's been a reliable vehicle and has never let me down. After a decade of the Cherokee, the 2001 by far is the best model. Chrysler did a good job of working out all the bugs and quirks from previous models. If you want your leather seats, 40mpg, 0db noise, and weak engine go with a Hybrid, otherwise get a Jeep.