2001 Jeep Cherokee SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:
Best Truck Ever!
By Cleveland on 04/27/07 08:50 AM (PDT)

2001 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I waited years for a Jeep. Wanted A Wrangler, but I am a professional guitarist, and needed the interior room for my gear. I have had this Jeep almost two years now, and have very few complaints. It kills off- road, kills in the snow, and will track through deep mud almost like it's on dry pavement. Handles great on the highway too, although high winds can be an adventure. At over 100,000 miles, it still runs incredibly strong. I regularly take it on long road trips without a second thought. It tends to chew up tires, it's loud, not real cushy, and the fuel economy could be better, but hey, it's a 4WD truck, not a luxury vehicle. I plan to drive it until it croaks or I do.

Like it a lot!
By Spideyfan68 on 04/14/07 06:54 AM (PDT)

2001 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought mine used with 50,000 miles on it. I have since put another 50,000 on and still going strong. I have had no major repair the normal brakes tires etc. I do need to replace the clutch on the air conditioner compressor that is it. I was thinking about a new car but mine is in such nice shape I think I will keep it a year or two.

Mediocre at Best
By jc on 02/28/07 09:57 AM (PST)

2001 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I had to have the transmission replaced after 6 years. Of course, I could be dealing with a dishonest repair shop. Chronic problem with number 3 misfire, rattling, drive train seems to clunk in rear and under shifter. I am not rough on the car, I do not off road, but I do use the car off road occasionally for hunting, fishing, or snowy conditions.

grows on you
By Jay on 02/09/07 18:21 PM (PST)

2001 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is my first Jeep. And I love it. Once you get past the poor gas mileage and lack of creature comforts you realize this is a workhorse SUV meant to take whatever you dish out every day. I do whatever I want with it. Fish, hunt, urban cruising, snow, rain, dirt, etc. I even commute in it. The engine light is annoying but I just consider it an old friend now who comes to visit from time to time. A easy and FREE trip to any auto parts store gets you a free computer reading that tells you to relax about the engine light. Very useful for moving refrigerators, dogs, military gear, bikes, kids, canoes, wood, etc. Easy to clean, easy to dirty. FUN, cheap and reliable.

Not bad
By Big Mac on 12/30/06 14:38 PM (PST)

2001 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

My 2001 Jeep Cherokee works just fine. I have a slight shimmy at 50 MPH but that may because of some bad wheels. I needed to have my AC rebuilt (70k) and I needed an expensive brake job (60k). The power steering sprung a leak ($400 at 60k). Besides that, it's OK.

A Love Affair That Won't Go Away
By Charlie on 12/02/06 06:26 AM (PST)

2001 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

The 2001 Cherokee has been an excellent mid-sized SUV for family trips and for my wife to carry the grandchildren in around town. It handles very well in the city, is easy to park and can easily handle large loads of luggage or bagged mulch. The decision to stop making the Cherokee can only be equated to the decision some years ago to stop making real Coke. It was a bad decision and all of the Cherokee owners I have talked to have agreed. Wake up Jeep and put the Cherokee back in production with a diesel engine.

Excellent Jeep.
By relivnj on 09/04/06 00:56 AM (PDT)

2001 Jeep Cherokee SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've always loved Jeeps. I bought this Jeep from our local Toyota dealership back in 2003. I just couldn't resist this Jeep classic. It's been such a wonderful vehicle to own. Never had any problems with it. The engine is a bit loud, compared to other SUVs. But it's not, really. It's the typical Jeep Cherokee sound. And the torque on this thing is tremendous! I got the Limited model. The interior has a nice, clean layout. The heated leather front seats are excellent during winter. Great sounding stereo. This is our weekend ride. We take it for nice, long leisurely drives, always confident that we can to anywhere and back in our Jeep.

Great All-Purpose Rider
By Dan on 05/14/06 17:45 PM (PDT)

2001 Jeep Cherokee SUV Classic 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

So far I've had no problems mechanically with this car. I've taken it off-road and it handles nicely, while on-road is even better. In general, for a vehicle with this kind of mileage (+50000) it's in good shape. It does have some problems, though. When 4 wheel drive high range is engaged, if you make a sharp turn the wheels lock. Also, when put in reverse for too long, it sometimes stalls or sputters. You need to find the right kind of tires, too. Wet handling is below average, even with 4WD. The vehicle corners well for an SUV and has a good turn radius, just make sure it's not cornering heavily above 50mph. At speeds above 80 on a straightaway highway, it becomes very shaky.

Works for me
By sbmackie on 04/25/06 21:43 PM (PDT)

2001 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought to fill light hunting/skiing duty in New Mexico. Gets 17 around town (light foot), and about 21 on the highway in hilly/mountainous country. I coast a lot down hill and keep the speed down to 70 max. Have three kids; a bit cramped in hip room in back seat. Front ample for me, rear leg room OK if I pull the front seats forward a bit. With rear seat down, dog, guns, gear, etc. fit nicely. Rides fine. Have put 10,000 miles on it since I bought it (total 56,000) with only the standard oil/filter/lube. Easy for this very non-mechanical person to work on. I would recommend for anyone who needs a good four person small SUV that has SUPERB off road capability and adequate in town manners.

great little truck
By qsplimited on 03/13/06 07:12 AM (PST)

2001 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is about the most practical and best built, simple and tough vehicle I have ever owned. It has been through a lot of tough torture at Lake Meade and handles the desert like a champ. On our second weekend at the lake we were unpleasantly stuck about 5 miles from a road and had to be towed up a cliff by cable to get out. After a short bath and a new ball joint she was beautiful as always. The look with the chrome wheel skins is great and they are quickly replaced if scratched or lost for only $25.00 The paint is very rich and the truck still looks brand new at 50,000 miles. I highly recommend to used buyers; remember though it is a truck based vehicle from the 80's. Don't expect a race car.