Used 2001 Jeep Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

2001 Jeep Cherokee SUV

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

Nothing Like It
By Mike

2001 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

There is nothing like the Jeep Cherokee. I bought my Jeep with ~50,000 miles on it back in 2004. It rides rough, but this rugged vehicle was bult to last. After driving it over 60,000 miles I have had to replace the AC condenser, tires, battery, and brake rotors (my Fault). Nothing else has been replaced. I have hauled almost 1000 lbs of crap in the back of it at one time. I still love Charolette (my Jeep).

Favorite Features

The inline six. The engine produces strong torque and responsive horsepower.

Suggested Improvements

Interior seating. The seats are a bit uncomfortable for long rides.

Great Jeep...
By jesghr

2001 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have 175,000 miles on my jeep and nothing is slowing it down. I have had some recent repairs due to wearable items and had some issues with the check engine light. Really...the best vehicle I have ever purchased. I am sure it will last to 200,000 miles and beyond. The back seat could have more room, but it fits my daughters car seat and toys just fine. It is a great off roading vehicle. It has one of the only true SUV off-roading suspensions. I love it.

Favorite Features

The suspension system. It can take the abuse of off-roading and still offer a smooth ride during the week.

Suggested Improvements

BRING IT BACK!!!!

Amazing SUV
By yzkurt

2001 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This vehicle is amazing. I have owned two Jeeps, a 1991 Jeep Wrangler and this one; both with the 4 litre I6. But also, i'm still 16 so there will be plenty more to come. This Jeep does everything. It drives great, looks great, and is super comfortable. The engine is truly bullet proof. I was happily surprised with the amount of power it puts out, great for an suv. This little thing will go anywhere and do anything. Living in the northwest and having these winters are nothing for it. I can haul plenty of people and plenty of gear. My friends and i love it.

Favorite Features

Interior comfort, the fact it can do ANYTHING

Suggested Improvements

Take off the side trim pieces. Looks alot better.

my race truck
By Alex from NH

2001 Jeep Cherokee SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This truck is possibly the greatest vehicle of all time. It's fast (took off the restrictor plate and got it doing 125 mph). Its small and handles beautifully if your idea of beauty is a roll over waiting to happen at every turn, mine is. The small size does not bother me because I'm not a big guy but people in the backseat complain, they know where the door is. My Jeep has around 187,000 miles. And I drive this thing hard from offroading to the occasional street race. Guys with there little rice burner toyotas laugh at the start then I hit them with the incredible torque! The Jeep Cherokee should have been in diehard because it is unstoppable. Except for the a/c compressor it died at 100k miles

Favorite Features

how much fun it is too drive, everytime i have to go somewhere i start thinking about how fast i can get there

Suggested Improvements

none just make it again

Love / Hate Relationship
By Bill F

2001 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this Jeep used w/ 40K miles on it for my kids. 5 years later it has 70K miles. I have spent a fortune replacing parts on this. Both front and rear differentials, ball joints, radiator, water pump,and more. Check engine light is on again. Probably another $250 part needed. It is a solid feeling truck that is fun to drive. The seats need more support. I keep hoping the last repair will be it, and that it is good to go for many more miles and years. I've got too much invested in it now to unload it. Maybe the prior owner abused it and I am paying the price. My luck has been nothing like those of the other reviewers.

Favorite Features

Tough go any where do anything truck. Timeless styling.

Suggested Improvements

Engine generates too much heat. Paint on hood cracks as a result. Bring it back into production. Give drivers more shoulder room. Make it more reliable. Needs head restraints in rear bench seat. Give it part time 4X4. It's rough w/ the wheels locked when you hit dry pavement.