2001 Jeep Cherokee SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:
Nothing else like it
By Kyle V on 01/24/10 17:27 PM (PST)

2001 Jeep Cherokee SUV Classic 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my XJ almost a year ago. After selling my 88 F250(needed cash) and GMC 2500(horrible truck!). I have put 35,000+ on the truck in under a year I drive about 45 minutes to work everyday. I also take the truck off roading dozens of times a month for hours at a time. It has a 4.5 inch RC lift and handles better off road then my friends vehicles by far a wrangler, bronco and samurai. I've put it through hell and back and never been stuck or had any maintenance issues. I'm 19 years old and I plan to keep it forever. It turns my 31 inch tires with all the added weight from the new heavy duty leaf springs and coil I installed. LOVE IT

Tires, Battery, Belt, Shocks, Brakes
By Jeeper Since '79 on 01/23/10 16:33 PM (PST)

2001 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have 170,000 miles on the Cherokee - it had 32 when I bought it. I am on tire set 5, shocks set 3, belt 3, battery 4, brakes 5. I've replaced the plugs three times, the valve cover gasket once, serviced the differentials twice each. Oil changes every 5 to 7000 miles, (in spite of what is recommended). One radiator. Bulbs and headlights and what-have- you: once or twice. The worst repair was the air, once, $1300, and how bad is that, really? I doubt I've put more than $6000 into it over the many miles, about 1/6 th of which were off-roadish, it has carried me. If your Cherokee hasn't done the same, I don't think you put enough love into it. Jeep owners will understand this.

Low Maintnance and durable
By Matt on 01/16/10 16:37 PM (PST)

2001 Jeep Cherokee SUV Classic 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchase my jeep used with 70k miles in 2004. It now has 122k miles and drives and runs no different than the day I bought it. Only maintenance I have done is change oil, change transmission fluid(once), replace rear shocks (once), and a brake job (once). Jeep has plenty of power and will easily do 100mph. It is durable and handles great in the snow. It can go offroad anywhere 98% of people would need / want to go. I wish it were a little quieter on the road and go better gas mileage (but you can't avoid the fact that it is a box on wheels and about as non-aerodynamical as a car could be).

I love reading the Jeep reviews
By Awesome truck on 01/07/10 15:37 PM (PST)

2001 Jeep Cherokee SUV Classic 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Four Cherokee's....I'd buy four more. '84 ( black beauty } '93 ( black beauty II } '98 { green hornet )'01 { Brutis ). Brutis pulled a new Kia SUV with a tow package and a 2300 lb sterndrive boat hat was coupled to it out of our lake and up the ramp. And I didn't have to bother with low range! Enough said.

My Jeep
By Jeeper01 on 01/06/10 08:45 AM (PST)

2001 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my jeep Cherokee Sport 3yrs. ago and never had any problems with so far and it has 140000 mi. on it.It is a great vehicle for off roading to get to my fav. fishin/campin/hunting spots here in PA..fuel economy is getting better with a Gibson Perf. exhaust and a K&N cold air intake and I just added a BBK 62 mm. throttle.There is so many mods. that you can add to this vehicle. that makes it so fun to own. Looks are great for town and off roading to.

Nothing Like It
By Mike on 12/29/09 06:09 AM (PST)

2001 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

There is nothing like the Jeep Cherokee. I bought my Jeep with ~50,000 miles on it back in 2004. It rides rough, but this rugged vehicle was bult to last. After driving it over 60,000 miles I have had to replace the AC condenser, tires, battery, and brake rotors (my Fault). Nothing else has been replaced. I have hauled almost 1000 lbs of crap in the back of it at one time. I still love Charolette (my Jeep).

Great Jeep...
By jesghr on 12/18/09 17:54 PM (PST)

2001 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have 175,000 miles on my jeep and nothing is slowing it down. I have had some recent repairs due to wearable items and had some issues with the check engine light. Really...the best vehicle I have ever purchased. I am sure it will last to 200,000 miles and beyond. The back seat could have more room, but it fits my daughters car seat and toys just fine. It is a great off roading vehicle. It has one of the only true SUV off-roading suspensions. I love it.

Amazing SUV
By yzkurt on 12/10/09 19:02 PM (PST)

2001 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This vehicle is amazing. I have owned two Jeeps, a 1991 Jeep Wrangler and this one; both with the 4 litre I6. But also, i'm still 16 so there will be plenty more to come. This Jeep does everything. It drives great, looks great, and is super comfortable. The engine is truly bullet proof. I was happily surprised with the amount of power it puts out, great for an suv. This little thing will go anywhere and do anything. Living in the northwest and having these winters are nothing for it. I can haul plenty of people and plenty of gear. My friends and i love it.

my race truck
By Alex from NH on 08/04/09 12:47 PM (PDT)

2001 Jeep Cherokee SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This truck is possibly the greatest vehicle of all time. It's fast (took off the restrictor plate and got it doing 125 mph). Its small and handles beautifully if your idea of beauty is a roll over waiting to happen at every turn, mine is. The small size does not bother me because I'm not a big guy but people in the backseat complain, they know where the door is. My Jeep has around 187,000 miles. And I drive this thing hard from offroading to the occasional street race. Guys with there little rice burner toyotas laugh at the start then I hit them with the incredible torque! The Jeep Cherokee should have been in diehard because it is unstoppable. Except for the a/c compressor it died at 100k miles

Love / Hate Relationship
By Bill F on 06/13/09 10:39 AM (PDT)

2001 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this Jeep used w/ 40K miles on it for my kids. 5 years later it has 70K miles. I have spent a fortune replacing parts on this. Both front and rear differentials, ball joints, radiator, water pump,and more. Check engine light is on again. Probably another $250 part needed. It is a solid feeling truck that is fun to drive. The seats need more support. I keep hoping the last repair will be it, and that it is good to go for many more miles and years. I've got too much invested in it now to unload it. Maybe the prior owner abused it and I am paying the price. My luck has been nothing like those of the other reviewers.